Welcome to a matcha-infused adventure in the world of vegan treats! Get ready to dive into the perfect blend of buttery shortbread, tantalizing matcha caramel, and creamy vegan white chocolate coating. These Vegan Matcha Twix Bars are a delicious twist on the classic favorite, offering a delightful balance of sweet and earthy flavors in every bite.
❤️ What You'll Love About This Recipe:
- It's vegan!
- Flavorful Harmony - buttery shortbread meets matcha's earthy notes, embraced in vegan white chocolate.
- Personalized Creations - customize toppings and sizes for a creative personal touch in every batch.
- Eye-Catching - the vibrant green matcha caramel between shortbread and white chocolate makes these bars totally Instagram-worthy!
- Perfect for Sharing & Gifting - Ideal for gifting or sharingduring festive seasons or special occasions, such as Valentine's Day or birthdays.
- Simply Delicious - Sweet, savory, and a hint of bitterness for an irresistible treat.
- Easy & Accessible - The recipe is straight-forward with readily available ingredients and easy-to-follow steps, allowing for hassle-free baking!
Indulge in the magic of homemade treats with this simple yet delightful recipe. Imagine a chewy shortbread base topped with a layer of vibrant green matcha caramel, all coated in luscious vegan white chocolate.
Whether you're a matcha enthusiast or a dessert lover seeking something unique, these bars promise a delectable journey into the world of vegan delights. Let's bake up some matcha goodness and savor the blissful harmony of flavors in these delightful bars.
This recipe is kindly sponsored by my friends at Nature's Charm.
🌱 Ingredients & Notes
Here is everything you need for this recipe:
- All-Purpose Flour - used for the vegan shortbread base
- Vegan Butter - choose a non-dairy, plant-based option and make sure it's unsalted. I like to use Flora Plant.
- Sugar - Granulated sugar - sweetens both the shortbread and matcha caramel layers; check for vegan-certified sugar if you're based in the US, or any other country that might sell non-vegan sugar.
- Sweetened Condensed Oat Milk - Important for the shortbread and caramel layers; ensures a delicious sweetness and gooey caramel consistency, whilst keeping it vegan-friendly. I like to use Nature's Charm Sweetened Condensed Oat Milk.
- Coconut Oil - Used in the matcha caramel layer, adds richness and helps in achieving the desired consistency.
- Matcha Powder - Provides the distinct green tea flavor and vibrant color to the caramel layer. Make sure it's culinary-grade matcha suitable for baking.
- Vegan White Chocolate - Used for coating the bars, choose a high-quality vegan white chocolate suitable for melting and coating. I bought a batch from Aldi UK recently, but you can also order vegan white chocolate in batch online.
If you're a chocoholic, make sure to also try my Vegan Chocolate Tart with Hazelnuts and Caramel - it's an ultimate slice of chocolate heaven!
If, like me, you also love baking with Nature's Charm products, you might also want to consider trying these treats:
- Chocolate Chip Cheesecake Bites
- Vegan Caramel Apple Parfait
- Vegan Butterscotch Crumble Bars
- Vegan Bread Pudding
- Vegan Kaiserschmarrn
Scroll to the recipe card at the bottom of the post for detailed quantities and measurements.
Here is all the equipment you need for these matcha twix bars:
- Mixing Bowl - for combining the ingredients for the shortbread base as well as the caramel layer
- Saucepan - for cooking the matcha caramel layer. Choose a saucepan with a thick bottom to prevent burning.
- Silicone Chocolate Mould(s) - for shaping the twix bars. Ensure they are suitable for baking and easy to remove the bars from.
- Baking Sheet - to place the coated bars for setting. Line the baking sheet with parchment paper for easy removal.
- Microwave-Safe Bowl or Double Boiler - for melting the white chocolate
🧑🍳 Instructions (Step-by-Step)
Step 1 - Prepare the Shortbread Base:
Cream vegan butter and sugar, then mix in sweetened condensed oat milk and flour.
Press the dough into silicone chocolate moulds and baking until lightly golden, then cool completely.
Step 2 - Make Matcha Caramel Layer:
Cook condensed milk, sugar, coconut oil and matcha in a saucepan until thickened.
Pour the matcha caramel over the cooled shortbread, then freeze for at least 1 hour before carefully removing.
Step 3 - Coat with Chocolate:
Melt the vegan white chocolate in a double boiler or in the microwave using a suitable bowl.
Dip the matcha caramel bars into the melted chocolate to coat evenly, then place on a lined baking sheet and refrigerate to set.
Once the chocolate is set, the Vegan Matcha Twix Bars are ready to enjoy!
The bars are best served chilled. Allow them to sit at room temperature for a few minutes before taking the first bite.
Enjoy these matcha twix bars alongside your favorite cup of tea or coffee.
Store the bars in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week. Separate multiple layers of Twix bars with parchment paper to prevent sticking. Keep the bars away from moisture and humidity to preserve the best texture and prevent sogginess.
To store the Matcha Twix Bars for an extended period, you can also freeze them. For best results, wrap the individual bars in parchment paper, then freeze them in a freezer-safe container or a zip-top bag.
💡 Tips & Tricks
Here are a few extra tips for making these vegan Twix bars a success:
- Chill Between Layers - Ensure each layer sets properly before adding the next to avoid mixing. For best results, place the bars into the freezer after adding the matcha caramel.
- Even Layer Thickness - Spread layers evening for a consistent taste throughout.
- Grease Moulds - Lightly oil the silicone moulds for easy remove of the bars.
- Use Quality Ingredients - Choose a good quality matcha powder and vegan white chocolate for the best results.
- Experiment with Toppings - Play around with some additional matcha powder or sea salt sprinkled on top of the bars before the chocolate sets - or decorate the Twix bars with sprinkles!
- Let the Bars Set Completely - Stay patient and make sure the Twix bars have set completely before removing them from the moulds or before enjoying them. This ensures well-defined layers and prevents crumbling.
See more Chocolate Recipes ->
📌 If you love Pinterest you can pin any of the images to your boards!
📝 Recipe Card
Here's a handy recipe card that you can print out and keep in your kitchen for easy reference:
📖 Recipe Card
Matcha Twix Bars
- 1 mixing bowl
- 1 oven
- 1 silicone chocolate bar mould
- 1 saucepan
- 1 double boiler or microwave bowl to melt the white chocolate
- 1 baking sheet lined with parchment paper
For the vegan shortbread base:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour (120g)
- 1/2 cup vegan butter (113g) softened
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar (50g)
- 2 tbsp sweetened condensed oat milk (30 ml)
For the matcha caramel layer:
- 1/2 cup sweetened condensed oat milk (120 ml)
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar (50g)
- 2 tbsp coconut oil (30g)
- 1 tbsp matcha powder (5g)
For the chocolate coating:
- 1 cup vegan white chocolate (180g) melted
Prepare the Shortbread Base:
- Preheat your oven to 350°F (180°C).
- In a mixing bowl, cream together the vegan butter and sugar until smooth.
- Add the sweetened condensed oat milk and flour. Mix until a dough forms.
- Press the dough evenly into the silicone chocolate moulds or a lined baking pan.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes until lightly golden. Remove and let it cool completely.
Make the Matcha Caramel Layer:
- In a saucepan over medium heat, combine the sweetened condensed oat milk, granulated sugar, coconut oil, and matcha powder.
- Stir continuously until the mixture begins to bubble, then reduce the heat to low and continue to stir until it reaches a caramel-like consistency - but without boiling the caramel.
- Pour the matcha caramel over the cooled shortbread base in the moulds. Let it set in the refrigerator or freezer for at least 1 hour.
Coat with Vegan White Chocolate:
- Melt the vegan white chocolate in a double boiler or in a microwave-safe bowl in the microwave in 30-second intervals, stirring between each interval until smooth.
- Remove the matcha caramel-filled moulds from the refrigerator.
- Carefully remove each bar from the moulds and dip them into the melted white chocolate, ensuring they're fully coated.
- Place the coated bars on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and let them set in the refrigerator for another 30 minutes or until the chocolate hardens.
- Once the chocolate has set, the Vegan Matcha Twix Bars are ready to be enjoyed!
- Decoration: To decorate the bars, you can mix any leftover melted white chocolate with a little matcha powder and drizzle it over the bars. You can also add nuts such as flaked almonds before the chocolate sets or alternatively dust the bars with a little matcha powder to make them look extra pretty.
- Storage: Store any leftovers in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to a week.
- Layering: Allow each layer to set properly before adding the next for distinct layers.
- Precision: Spread layers evenly to ensure consistent taste throughout each bar.
- Moulds: Lightly grease silicone moulds for easy removal of the bars.
- Ingredient Quality: Opt for good-quality matcha powder and vegan white chocolate for better taste.
- Melting Chocolate: Melt vegan white chocolate gently to avoid burning or seizing.
- Toppings: Get creative with additional matcha powder or sea salt for extra flavor or decoration.
- Patience: Let the bars set completely before slicing to maintain shape and layers.
© 2024 Romy London / Romina Callwitz | All images, videos, wordings and content are copyright protected and belong to Romina Callwitz. Please do not use any of my content without prior permission. If you wish to re-publish any (part of my) content, please get in touch via email. Thanks for your support!