Step into a world of pure indulgence with this Vegan Chocolate Tart Recipe! Created with a nutty no-bake tart base, a deliciously sweet and crunchy hazelnut caramel layer and a luxurious, rich vegan chocolate ganache, this vegan tart is the ultimate dream of a dessert.
This tart recipe combines a wonderful blend of nutty, creamy and chocolatey goodness, that's guaranteed to take you straight to chocolate heaven. With the hazelnut-packed tart base and layers of heavenly caramel and velvety ganache, each bite is a pure celebration of flavor and texture.
In this blog post, we'll go through the step-by-step process of creating this luscious masterpiece, so that you can confidently make this absolute showstopper of a dessert at home.
With its rich and luxurious flavors this tart is not only the most delicious way to indulge any chocolate cravings, but also a perfect treat to make as a surprise for Valentine's Day or your favorite person's birthday.
You can surely captivate any chocolate lovers heart with this vegan tart recipe! ❤️
💌 What You'll Love About This Recipe
- The recipe uses a simple and delicious no bake crust that is loaded with nutty goodness.
- The tart shell is created without medjool dates or melted coconut oil and instead uses a delicious mix of roasted hazelnuts as the main ingredient.
- Made with three hazelnut-packed layers, this tart combines rich and luxurious flavors for an ultra indulgent vegan dessert!
- With its hazelnut tart base, sweet and crunchy hazelnut caramel layer and the rich, velvety vegan chocolate ganache, a slice of this tart is the most delicious way to treat any chocolate cravings.
- This vegan recipe makes the ultimate vegan chocolate tart, packed with the most rich and luxurious chocolate flavor you could ever wish for!
- The tart also stores well and you can easily keep it in the fridge or freezer, if you want to prepare it ahead of time.
🍫 Ingredients & Notes
Here's everything you need for this tart recipe:
- Hazelnuts - This recipe uses hazelnuts in the nutty tart base, the crunchy caramel layer as well as the tart decoration. For best results, use raw and unsalted hazelnuts to create the chopped hazelnuts and grind the hazelnut flour. If you want to omit the hazelnut flour, you can use almond flour instead
- Nut Butter - You can use almond butter, cashew butter, peanut butter or hazelnut butter. Make sure it's a smooth, unsweetened and unsalted.
- Cocoa Powder - Opt for high-quality cocoa powder.
- Maple Syrup - For the best quality, use pure maple syrup. You can swap it for agave nectar.
- Vegan Caramel Sauce - Homemade or store-bought.
- Vegan Cream - A vegan heavy cream works best! I used the Elmlea Double Cream for this recipe, which is sold in the UK - but you can use whichever brand is available to you. Alternatively, swap out the cream for a good quality full-fat coconut milk.
- Vegan Chocolate - Smooth vegan chocolate works best for this tart. I used bars of Lindt's Classic Smooth Vegan Chocolate, which is a velvety, milk chocolate-style dairy-free chocolate and melts perfectly for the tart filling. Alternatively, you can use dark chocolate.
- Vanilla - Use pure vanilla extract or vanilla paste.
- Salt - A little salt wonderfully balances the rich flavors of the chocolate and caramel, so please don't omit it.
You can find the full recipe and measurements in the recipe card at the bottom of this post.
- Fresh Fruit - create a delicious twist by adding your favorite fruit to the tart! Fresh raspberries or strawberries are a delicious addition.
- Sea Salt Flakes - for a wonderfully salty sweet flavor combination, you can decorate this no bake dessert with a sprinkle of sea salt flakes before refrigerating.
- Chocolate Shavings - a few chocolate shavings can look wonderful as a decoration on top of this dreamy vegan dessert!
- Chocolate Chips - for decoration on top or to sprinkle on top of the crust before adding the velvety chocolate ganache.
- Espresso Powder - for a caffeinated twist, sprinkle a teaspoon of espresso powder into the tart base ingredients.
- Mixing Bowls - 1 large bowl for mixing the tart base, 1 medium bowl for stirring the caramel sauce
- 8-inch Tart Pan - for easy handling, choose a tart pan with a removable bottom
- Parchment Paper - to line the tart pan and make it easy to remove the chocolate tart
- Heat-proof Mixing Bowl - for creating the chocolate ganache filling
- High-Speed Blender or Food Processor
- Clean Knife - for slicing
🧑🍳 Instructions (Step-by-Step)
How to Create the Tart Base
Step 1 - Preheat the oven to 180C. Roast hazelnuts for 8-10 mins, let them cool, and remove the skins.
Step 2 - Blend 80g peeled hazelnuts into flour. Crush the rest for the tart base.
Step 3 - Mix hazelnut flour, crushed hazelnuts, cocoa powder, salt, nut butter, and maple syrup to form a sticky dough.
Step 4 - Line an 8-inch tart pan and press the dough into the bottom of the pan, chill for 15 mins.
How to Create the Caramel Layer
Step 1 - Sprinkle chopped hazelnuts over the tart base.
Step 2 - Mix a pinch of salt into vegan caramel sauce, drizzle over hazelnuts.
Step 3 - Chill for 15 mins.
How To Create the Chocolate Tart Filling
Step 1 - Heat vegan cream over medium heat, pour over chopped vegan chocolate. Let it melt for 10 mins.
Step 2 - Whisk until smooth. Pour over caramel layer, and lightly tap the tart tin onto the kitchen counter to remove any air bubbles. Add crushed hazelnuts on top for decoration.
Step 3 - Chill for at least 1 hour.
🥄 Serving Tips
To serve this indulgent tart, simply grab a clean knife, run it under hot water for smooth slicing, and gently cut the tart into indisividual slices.
Enjoy a slice alongside a hot espresso or your favorite drink to enhance the indulgence factor even more!
❄️ Storage Tips
To keep this no bake vegan chocolate tart at its scrumptious best, store it in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
You can also freeze the whole tart or slice it into individual portions. When ready to savor, simply defrost the tart in the fridge overnight or for a few hours at room temperature. Now you've got a handy stash of plant-based decadence, ready to sweeten any moment!
Extra Tip: Freeze individual slices for a treat whenever the mood strikes. To defrost, simply pop them in the fridge overnight.
If you’ve tried and loved this recipe, I would love for you to leave a star rating and short review at the bottom of this recipe post ❤️
📖 Recipe Card
Vegan Chocolate Tart Recipe (No-Bake)
For the tart base
- hazelnut flour (80g)
- crushed hazelnuts (70g)
- 1/4 cup smooth, unflavored nut butter (60 ml) e.g. almond, cashew or peanut butter
- cocoa powder (25g)
- 1/4 cup maple syrup (60 ml)
- 1 pinch salt
For the caramel layer
- hazelnuts (125g) roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup vegan caramel sauce (120 ml) homemade or store-bought
- 1 pinch salt
For the chocolate layer
- vegan heavy cream (300 ml) double cream (UK) or full-fat coconut milk
- smooth vegan chocolate (250g)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Start by placing all hazelnuts for the recipe onto a lined oven tray and roasting the nuts for 8-10 minutes at 180C, or until they darken lightly in colour. Stir regularly and keep a close eye on them to avoid burning the nuts. After roasting, let the nuts cooldown entirely and transfer them to a clean kitchen towel. Rub the hazelnuts between two layers of towel in order to remove the skins.
- Blend 80g of the cool, peeled hazelnuts into hazelnut flour. You can use either a high-speed blender or food processor but make sure to blend the nuts by pulsing for short amounts of time to prevent the nuts releasing their natural oils and becoming too sticky. Chop and crush the remaining hazelnuts for the tart base, caramel filling and decoration and set aside.
- To create the chocolatey tart base, combine the hazelnut flour, 70g crushed hazelnuts, cocoa powder and salt in a mixing bowl, then fold in the nut butter and maple syrup until you get a sticky dough.
- Transfer to an 8-inch tart tin and spread the mixture evenly along the sides and bottom of the tin. Place parchment paper on top and gently run a flat-bottomed glass over the tart base to even out the nutty layer. Remove the paper and transfer to the fridge for 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle 125g chopped hazelnuts over the bottom of the tart, then stir a pinch of salt into the vegan caramel sauce and drizzle it over the nuts to evenly cover them. Place the tart back into the fridge to set for 15 minutes.
- In the meantime, prepare the chocolate layer by heating the vegan cream in the microwave or on the stove. Roughly break the chocolate into small pieces and place it into a heat proof mixing bowl. Pour the warm cream over the chocolate and allow 10 minutes for the chocolate to melt.
- Use a whisk to thoroughly blend the melted chocolate and cream mixture until smooth. If the chocolate hasn’t melted yet, give it a few more minutes, or briefly place the bowl into the microwave for 20 seconds.
- Pour the chocolate ganache over the caramel layer, add any crushed hazelnuts on top for decoration and place the tart into the fridge to set for at least 1 hour.
- To serve, slice the tart with a clean knife - for ease, run the knife under hot water first and wipe it clean between cuts.
- Enjoy the vegan hazelnut caramel tart alongside a hot espresso or your favourite drink and store the tart in the fridge for up to 5 days.
© 2024 Romy London / Romina Callwitz | All images, videos, wordings and content are copyright protected and belong to Romina Callwitz. Please do not use any of my content without prior permission. If you wish to re-publish any (part of my) content, please get in touch via email. Thanks for your support!