Get ready for a mouthwatering treat with this vegan Kaiserschmarrn recipe! This fluffy and sweet pancake is a traditional Austrian dish that's torn or scrambled in the pan before being served. And this vegan version is just as delicious and easy to make!
With simple ingredients like flour, cornstarch, sugar, and plant milk, this recipe is easy to make and will have you hooked from the first bite. And as an indulgent twist, you can drizzle vegan salted caramel sauce on top for a mouth-watering finish.
If you're in the mood for something sweet to start your day or end your meal with a bang, this vegan Kaiserschmarrn is the way to go!
This blog post has kindly been sponsored by Nature's Charm, who create divine vegan products, such as the vegan Coconut Salted Caramel Sauce I used in this recipe. You can find more recipes using Nature's Charm products in the recipe index, such as this indulgent Vegan Bread Pudding, crunchy Vegan Condensed Milk Waffles or an entire cake-sized Cookie Cake filled with their caramel sauce!
What is Kaiserschmarrn?
Kaiserschmarrn is a traditional Austrian dish similar to a fluffy pancake that is torn or scrambled in the pan before being served. Traditionally, Kaiserschmarrn is made with eggs, milk, and flour, and is often cooked with raisins (rum-soaked or not) until golden before serving.
This vegan version of Kaiserschmarrn uses all-purpose flour, sugar, vegan milk, sparkling mineral water, oil, and powdered sugar to create a delicious and fluffy dessert that is just as easy to make as the classic version.
It's delicious to serve it alongside stewed cherries and sprinkled with powdered sugar, and you can also add raisins to the pancake batter for some added sweetness and texture. This dish is also fantastic served alongside a sweet drink such as a Vegan Spanish Latte or a refreshing Iced Vanilla Latte to start off the day!
❤️ What's Great About this Recipe
This vegan Kaiserschmarrn recipe is perfect for breakfast or dessert. It's sweet and fluffy on the inside, and crispy on the outside. The raisins provide a burst of sweetness that perfectly complements the dish. And if you're feeling indulgent, you can sprinkle it with some extra powdered sugar when serving.
If you're a fan of enjoying pancakes for breakfast, don't miss out on this recipe for ultra fluffy Vegan Soufflé Pancakes!
🌱 Ingredients & Notes
Here is everything you need for this recipe:
- Flour - all-purpose flour is used for these torn pancakes, or plain flour, if you’re in the UK. Spelt flour can be used as a substitute. It has a nuttier and sweeter flavor and it is also higher in nutrients such as protein, fiber, and minerals, making it a healthier alternative. For a gluten-free version, you can use a gluten-free flour blend.
- Cornstarch - helps to lighten the texture of the pancakes.
- Powdered sugar - for sweetness and the fluffy texture of the Kaiserschmarrn.
- Baking powder - is used as a leavening agent that makes these pancakes rise and become extra fluffy
- Plant milk - helps to bind the ingredients together.
- Coconut oil - adds richness to these torn pancakes.
- Lemon juice - for a little bit of a tangy flavor. It also helps to activate the baking powder and give the vegan Kaiserschmarrn the rise it deserves.
- Flavorings - I add vanilla extract and salt for a more complex flavor. You can also add homemade vanilla syrup!
- Unsalted vegan butter & Sugar - used to caramelize the pancakes before serving. This is optional but creates a more authentic vegan version of traditional Kaiserschmarrn.
- Nature's Charm Salted Caramel Sauce - for serving! It’s a wonderfully smooth and indulgent sauce that adds a tasty sweet, salty flavor to the final dish.
- Raisins (optional) - can be added to the batter for extra texture, I like to use golden raisins.
🧑🍳 Instructions (Step-by-Step)
Whisk together the dry ingredients: flour, cornstarch, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
Whisk together the wet ingredients: plant milk, melted coconut oil, lemon juice, and vanilla extract.
Combine the wet and dry ingredients and whisk until smooth.
Pour the batter into a well-oiled cast iron skillet and bake until pale golden.
Melt unsalted vegan butter in a skillet, sprinkle with granulated sugar, and let it caramelize. Place the pancake on top and cook until the bottom is deep golden.
Shred the pancake with two forks and serve with icing sugar and Nature's Charm Salted Caramel Sauce.
💡 Tips & Tricks
Here are some tips and tricks for making perfect vegan Kaiserschmarrn:
- Use a well-oiled cast iron skillet: Using a well-oiled cast iron skillet will ensure that your Kaiserschmarrn doesn't stick to the pan and comes out nice and crispy.
- Be sure to whisk the batter until it's smooth: Whisking the batter until it's smooth will help to ensure that your Kaiserschmarrn doesn't have any lumps and has a light and fluffy texture.
- Caramelize your Kaiserschmarrn: Caramelizing your Kaiserschmarrn by adding vegan margarine and raw cane sugar to the skillet will give it a sweet and crispy finish that's sure to impress.
🍽️ Serving Suggestions
Traditionally, the shredded Kaiserschmarrn pieces are served with a sprinkle of powdered sugar on top. In this recipe, I drizzled a generous serving of Nature's Charm Salted Caramel Sauce on top for an extra indulgent treat! It can also be served with a scoop of vegan vanilla ice cream or applesauce, or you can use Nature’s Charm Butterscotch Sauce for a delicious twist.
❄️ How to store
To store leftover Kaiserschmarrn, allow it to cool completely before transferring it to an airtight container. You can store it in the fridge for up to 3-4 days. When you're ready to eat it, simply reheat it in a skillet over low heat until it's warm. You can also freeze Kaiserschmarrn for up to 2-3 months. To reheat frozen Kaiserschmarrn, thaw it in the fridge overnight and then reheat it in a skillet over low heat until it's warm.
❓ Recipe FAQs
This recipe can be customized in a few ways. For example, you can use spelt flour or gluten-free flour to make it healthier or gluten-free. You can also add raisins to the batter for extra texture, or sprinkle some extra powdered sugar on top when serving if you want to make it even sweeter. Additionally, you can serve it with a scoop of vegan vanilla ice cream or applesauce for a delicious twist.
Kaiserschmarrn is a traditional Austrian dessert that is similar to a fluffy pancake that is torn or scrambled in the pan before being served. It is typically made with eggs, milk, and flour, and is often cooked with raisins until golden before serving. However, this recipe is a vegan version of Kaiserschmarrn that uses all-purpose flour, sugar, vegan milk, sparkling mineral water, oil, and powdered sugar to create a delicious and fluffy dessert that is easy to make and just as delicious as the classic version.
📌 If you love Pinterest you can pin any of the images to your boards!
Here's a handy recipe card that you can print out and keep in your kitchen for easy reference:
📖 Recipe Card
Vegan Kaiserschmarrn (Torn Pancakes)
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour (150 g)
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp powdered sugar (25 g) plus extra to serve
- 1 tsp baking powder (5 g)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk (240 ml)
- 2 tbsp coconut oil (28 g) melted
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp unsalted vegan butter
- 2 tbsp granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup Nature's Charm Salted Caramel Sauce
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- In a mixing bowl, whisk together the flour, cornstarch, sugar, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the almond milk, melted coconut oil, lemon juice and vanilla extract to a measuring jug and set aside for 10 minutes.
- Add the wet ingredients into the flour mix and whisk until the batter is smooth with no lumps.
- Pour the batter into a well-oiled cast iron skillet and bake until the pancake is a pale golden color. Remove the skillet from the oven.
- Melt vegan butter in a cast iron skillet over low heat. Sprinkle with sugar and let it caramelize. Place the pancake on top and cook for 1-2 minutes or until the bottom is a deep golden, caramelized colour. Then usse two forks to shred the pancake.
- Serve the shredded pancake with a sprinkle of icing sugar and Nature's Charm Salted Caramel Sauce, drizzled on top.
- Use a well-oiled cast iron skillet to ensure the Kaiserschmarrn doesn't stick to the pan and comes out nice and crispy.
- Whisk the batter until it's smooth to avoid lumps and get a light and fluffy texture.
- Caramelize the Kaiserschmarrn by adding vegan margarine and raw cane sugar to the skillet to give it a sweet and crispy finish.
- Customize the recipe by using spelt flour or gluten-free flour.
- Be sure to let the wet ingredients sit for 10 minutes before adding them to the dry ingredients. This will help activate the baking powder and make the Kaiserschmarrn extra fluffy.
- If you want to make this recipe even sweeter, you can add raisins to the batter or sprinkle some extra powdered sugar on top when serving.
- Serve with a scoop of vanilla ice cream or applesauce for a delicious twist.
© 2024 Romy London / Romina Callwitz | All images, videos, wordings and content are copyright protected and belong to Romina Callwitz. Please do not use any of my content without prior permission. If you wish to re-publish any (part of my) content, please get in touch via email. Thanks for your support!