Deliciously fluffy vegan Hot Cross Buns recipe - the perfect vegan easter treat. With warming spices such as cinnamon & mandarin juice for a fruity flavour.
For the dough
- 1 pack of instant yeast
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1/2 cup lukewarm water (120ml)
- 3/4 cup lukewarm unsweetened soy milk (180ml)
- 1/3 cup rapeseed oil (65g)
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup brown sugar (40g)
- Juice of 1 mandarin
- 1 Tbsp lemon zest or juice of 1/2 lemon
- 3 1/2 – 4 cups all-purpose flour (420g - 480g)
For the vegan “egg” wash
- 2 tbsp soy milk
- 1 tbsp juice of a mandarin
- 1 tsp maple syrup
For the crosses
- 1/2 cup plain flour (60g)
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract or 1/4 tsp vanilla powder
- 2-3 Tbsp soy milk
- In a large jug, combine the yeast, sugar and lukewarm water. Briefly stir, then set aside for a few minutes to let the yeast foamed up.
- Add soy milk at room temperature, oil, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, sugar, lemon zest and mandarin juice. Mix everything then transfer it to a large mixing bowl and add half of the flour. Use a wooden spoon or spatula to combine.
- Add another quarter of your flour to the mix and keep stirring. Slowly add. the rest of the flour until your dough is not overly sticky anymore, but still soft.
- Form a ball, lightly oil the bottom of your mixing bowl and place the dough inside. Cover with a clean, wet kitchen towel or cling film and set aside to rest for an hour in a warm place.
- Prepare your oven dish: used a rectangular oven dish that fits about 3×4 average size buns inside and line/grease it.
- Once the hour has elapsed, push the air out of the dough and knead the dough for 1 minute on a floured kitchen surface. Separate the dough into 10-12 equal pieces and roll each piece into a ball. Place them into your lined oven dish and cover with a wet towel. Let them rest for another 30 minutes and preheat your oven to 190C degrees.
- Whisk up all ingredients for the vegan egg wash and gently brush it across the buns. Combine all ingredients for the crosses, then transfer the mix into a piping back and pipe the lines across the buns.
- Bake in the oven for 20-30 minutes or until golden. Please check them after 20 minutes and only add more baking time if necessary.
- Serving Size: 10
- Calories: 217
- Sodium: 109 mg
- Fat: 4.1 g
- Carbohydrates: 40.5 g
- Protein: 5.2 g
- Cholesterol: 40 mg
Keywords: Vegan Hot Cross buns Recipe, hot cross buns recipe, hot cross buns, easter, easter recipes, vegan easter recipes