This vegan Spanish Latte is perfect for coffee lovers and it’s a delicious and easy way to indulge in a creamy and sweet coffee drink. With the detailed instructions and helpful tips outlined below, you'll be able to create the perfect vegan Spanish latte in no time and you can even customise the recipe to your liking!
What is a Spanish Latte?
A Spanish latte is an espresso-based drink that originated in Spain and can often be found in many coffee shops around the European country. The latte can be served hot or as a refreshing iced version, and is often garnished with cinnamon or cocoa powder. Overall, the Spanish latte is a delicious and indulgent coffee drink that is enjoyed by many around the world.
What is a Spanish Latte made of?
Spanish Latte is traditionally made by combining espresso with steamed milk and condensed milk, giving it a rich and creamy texture. The condensed milk provides a sweetness that balances out the bitterness of the espresso, making it a popular choice for those who enjoy a sweeter coffee.
And for a dessert that's just as cozy and comforting as this latte, try making a vegan bread pudding with condensed coconut milk. It's the perfect dessert to enjoy alongside!
Spanish latte vs regular lattes
A Spanish latte is similar to traditional latte, but it is made with condensed milk in addition to steamed milk and espresso. This gives it a creamy and sweet flavor that is different from a regular latte.
Don’t mistake Spanish Latte for Café con leche! Whilst it also originates in Spain, “café con leche” is made by combining equal parts of espresso and steamed milk and does not involved sweetened condensed milk. The name "café con leche" literally translates to "coffee with milk" in English.
Which type of coffee can I use for Spanish Latte?
To make a Spanish latte in the traditional way, you will need one shot of espresso coffee for the coffee part. If you like it stronger or are creating a Spanish Latte bigger than 8oz, you can also add multiple espresso shots.
What is vegan condensed milk?
Vegan condensed milk is a non-dairy alternative to regular condensed milk. It is typically made from a plant-based milk, such as coconut milk or oat milk, and a sweetener, such as cane sugar. It has a similar consistency and taste to dairy condensed milk, but is suitable for vegans and those that avoid dairy products such as cow’s milk. A popular brand of vegan condensed milk is Nature's Charm and this recipe for vegan Spanish latte uses their Sweetened Condensed Coconut Milk.
You can find the Nature's Charm products in many health food stores and Asian supermarkets around the globe, and you can also order many of their products through your local Amazon website.
Ingredients & Notes
Here's everything you need for this recipe:
- Espresso - use freshly brewed espresso made with freshly ground coffee beans for the best results
- Plant milk - Some of the best plant milks to use for lattes include almond milk, soy milk, oat milk, coconut milk, and cashew milk. However, not all brands of these plant milks will steam well. It's best to look for brands that specifically advertise as being "barista-grade" or "steaming-friendly." Some of the best plant milk for frothing and steaming include Oatly, Califia Farms, and Silk.
- Sweetened Condensed Coconut Milk - a delicous vegan alternative to regular condensed milk. I used Nature’s Charm.
- Optional Garnish - such as ground cinnamon or cocoa powder
See the recipe card at the end of this post for detailed measurements.
Here is a list of equipment you will need to make a Spanish latte:
- Espresso machine
- Coffee tamper - if using a manual espresso machine
- Milk frother or a steam wand - if you're using a professional machine
- Measuring cup
- Espresso cups or glasses
- Spoon for stirring
- Optional: cinnamon or cocoa powder shaker to garnish the finished latte
Make sure to have all of these items on hand before starting to make your Spanish latte.
To make a Spanish latte, follow these simple steps:
Freshly brew some espresso and measure it with an espresso shot glass.
Pour the measured espresso into your serving cup.
Add the plant milk to a heating milk frother. Alternatively, heat the milk in a saucepan and froth with a handheld frother or use the steam wand of a professional espresso machine.
Froth until the milk is hot and the top frothy and foamy, with small bubbles.
Pour the majority of the hot plant milk into the cup, leaving the frothy and foamy part in the milk aside.
Add a generous amount of Nature's Charm Coconut condensed milk to taste, stirring well.
Spoon a little extra frothed milk onto the top of the Spanish Latte.
Optionally, garnish with sprinkle of cinnamon or cocoa powder.
Enjoy this delicious and indulgent vegan latte and share it with your friends and family!
How to steam plant milk
To steam plant milk for a Spanish Latte, use a heating milk frother or steam wand to heat the milk until it reaches a creamy consistency. Make sure to use a measuring cup to measure out the amount of milk needed for the recipe. It's also important to use a plant milk that is suitable for steaming, such as those labeled as "barista-grade" or "steaming-friendly."
How to make Spanish Latte without an espresso machine
To make a Spanish Latte without an espresso machine, you can either make espresso in a moka pot or use strong brewed coffee as a substitute. Simply brew a cup of strong coffee using a French press or drip coffee maker for your Vegan Spanish Latte.
If you're looking for something delicious to serve with this Vegan Spanish Latte, try these Vegan Lemon Cookies, this indulgent White Chocolate Biscoff Rocky Road, Baked Vegan Churros, or this luxurious Vegan Pistachio Cheesecake!
Some delicious topping options for this latte include:
- Cocoa powder
- Coconut Whipped cream (or a store-bought alternative)
- Caramel syrup or any other flavored syrup, such as hazelnut or vanilla.
- Chocolate garnish, such as chocolate shavings, cocoa nibs or chocolate syrup.
Here are some recommendations for making the perfect Spanish latte:
- Use "barista-grade" or "steaming-friendly" plant milk. Not all plant milks are created equal when it comes to steaming. Plant milks intended for use in steamed drinks often have a creamier feel and higher fat content that reminds of whole milk. To create the best latte, look for brands that are specifically marketed as being suitable for steaming, such as Oatly, Califia Farms, or Silk.
- Experiment with the amount of condensed milk. The amount of condensed milk you use can greatly impact the sweetness of your latte and tastebuds can be different, so feel free to adjust it to your personal taste.
- Follow manufacturer’s instructions for best results. If using a milk frother, make sure to check the manual for best practises to get perfectly frothy plant milk.
- Practice your steam wand technique. When using a steam wand, place the wand just below the surface of the milk and turn on the steam. Move the pitcher in a circular motion to create a vortex, which will help incorporate air into the milk and create a frothy texture.
- Use the frothed milk immediately after steaming for best results. If it’s left for too long after steaming it can deflate and use all it’s wonderful frothiness.
- To make iced Spanish latte, first brew a shot of espresso. Whilst the espresso is still hot, stir in a generous amount of Nature's Charm Coconut condensed milk & stir well until dissolved. Let it cool down, then pour the cooled, sweetened espresso over a glass with ice cubes. Fill up the glass with plant milk and garnish with cinnamon or cocoa powder.
In case you don't have everything to hand, here a few ideas and notes for possible substitutions:
- Espresso - instead of using an espresso machine, you can also brew espresso using a moka pot or alternatively use another strong coffee drink as a substitute. You can also use cold brew coffee, however, it is more difficult to blend condensed milk into cold coffee.
- Plant Milk - instead of almond milk, soy milk, or oat milk, you can use any other plant-based milk of your choice.
- Vegan Condensed Milk - instead of condensed coconut milk, you can use condensed oat milk. If you swap the vegan condensed milk for brown sugar or maple syrup, it will still be delicious but basically be a sweetened regular latte. For the full Spanish latte taste, I recommend using vegan condensed milk.
- Garnish - Instead of cinnamon or cocoa powder, you can use any other spice or flavoring of your choice, such as nutmeg or vanilla extract.
Here are 3 delicious variations for Spanish Latte worth trying:
- Vanilla Spanish Latte - Add a dash of vanilla syrup to the latte for a sweet and fragrant twist.
- Spiced Spanish Latte - Instead of cinnamon or cocoa powder, try adding a pinch of nutmeg, cardamom, or ginger for a warming and cozy flavor.
- Chocolate Spanish Latte - Mix in some chocolate syrup or cocoa powder to create a decadent and indulgent chocolate twist on the classic Spanish latte.
- Pumpkin Spice - add some pumpkin puree and pumpkin spice syrup for an autumnal twist.
If you try making this Vegan Spanish Latte recipe at home, I would love to hear how it turned out! Please leave a recipe rating and let me know what you thought. 😊
Frequently Asked Questions
For a regular size Spanish Latte, a single shot of espresso is normally used. If you like your latte stronger or are preparing a latte larger than 8oz, you can add multiple espresso shots.
A standard Spanish latte typically contains one shot of espresso. However, the actual size of the latte can vary depending on the coffee shop or individual preference. I personally recommend an 8-oz glass for my Spanish latte.
More Recipes with Coffee
📌 If you love Pinterest you can pin any of the images to your boards!
- 1 espresso maker espresso machine or see notes
- 1 milk frother or steam wand
- 1 measuring cup
- 1 espresso cup or glass
- 1 spoon for stirring
- cinnamon or cocoa powder shaker for garnish optional
- 1 1-oz shot freshly brewed espresso (20 ml)
- plant milk barista-grade
- Nature's Charm Sweetened Condensed Coconut Milk
- 1/4-1/2 tsp ground cinnamon optional
- Start by brewing a shot of espresso, using either an espresso machine or an espresso maker like a moka pot. Then pour the espresso into your serving mug or glass of choice.
- Steam your choice of plant-based milk using a heated milk frother or a steam wand (if using a professional espresso machine) until it reaches a creamy consistency. Pour the steamed milk over the espresso.
- Next, add the condensed coconut milk. You can choose the amount recommend in the recipe ingredients or simply add a generous amount to your personal taste. Stir well to blend in the vegan condensed milk.
- Garnish with a sprinkle of cinnamon or cocoa powder (optional) and enjoy your homemade vegan Spanish latte!
- espresso - for a 1-oz espresso shot, use about 7-9g of ground beans. Brew the espresso with freshly ground coffee beans and use it immediately for the best results. For a stronger latte, add less milk to your drink or add more shots of espresso.
- espresso maker - use an espresso machine or moka pot to make the espresso or use strong brewed coffee as a substitute.
- plant milk - Use "barista-grade" or "steaming-friendly" plant milk for the best results. Make sure to use the frothed milk immediately after steaming for best results.
- condensed milk - Experiment with the amount of condensed milk used to adjust the sweetness to your liking. Instead of condensed coconut milk, you can use condensed oat milk
- steaming - For a frothy texture, use a milk frother or steam wand to steam the milk.
© Romy London / Romina Callwitz | All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images and content without permission. If you wish to re-publish any recipes or images, please get in touch via email. Thanks for your support!