For the churros:
- 250ml water
- 110g vegan margarine (unsalted)
- 1 Tbsp light brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla bean powder (or extract)
- 200g all purpose flour
- 3 flax eggs (3 Tbsp milled flax seeds + 3 Tbsp water)
- Rapeseed oil spray for greasing
For the coating
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 70g granulated sugar (or alternative)
- Preheat your oven to 190C.
- Prepare your flax eggs and set them aside for 10 minutes prior to use.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour and vanilla powder (if you’re using vanilla extract instead, then add it in step 3).
- In a saucepan, heat the water, vegan margarine, brown sugar, granulated sugar, and salt and stir until the margarine is fully melted and sugar dissolved. Bring to a boil, then add it to the vanilla/flour mixture immediately.
- Stir with a spatula and add in your flax eggs. Mix until everything is fully incorporated, then transfer the dough into a large piping bag with a star shaped nozzle.
- Grease & line a baking tray, then pipe the churro dough in short or long lines. Spray the churro lines with a little rapeseed oil, then bake in the oven for around 20 minutes or until golden.
- Remove them from the oven and let them cool down for 20 minutes before removing them from the . baking tray.
- Toss in the remaining sugar & cinnamon for the coating and enjoy hot or cold!