Super delicious & addictive: This Vegan Churro Cup Recipe takes your ice cream game to the next level!
Vegan Churro Cups
The best way to enjoy your ice cream! This vegan churro cup recipe is such a delicious way to serve your favorite vegan ice cream as they make for the perfect ice cream bowls! In fact: you'll be excited to finish your ice cream, so you can get around to fully enjoying the churro cup 😉
These ice cream cups are purely delightful - on this occasion I've served them with a delicious side of dairy-free salted caramel ice cream, sprinkled with puffed quinoa and fresh fruit and drizzled with cinnamon syrup. Such a treat! And definitely more delicious than serving your dessert in paper cups 😉
So easy to re-create, as I have only used simple ingredients in this recipe (See the full list below!). These cups are also baked, so you do not require a deep fryer or anything of that kind in order to re-create these churro cups.
What you'll need for these Vegan Churro Cups
- Vegan margarine: adding the fats into the churros, which will result in a wonderful texture. and ensure your churros don't come out tasting dry. Make sure to use unsalted vegan margarine!
- Light brown sugar
- Granulated sugar: I use the granulated sugar (or a granulated sugar alternative) in the actual churro batter as well as for the coating. Repeating the type of sugar that I use in the recipe makes the coating match perfectly with the flavour of the churro batter.
- Vanilla bean powder: creating a wonderful vanilla flavour to your churro cups! You can also replace the vanilla bean powder with extract - however, add it to the wet ingredients rather than the dry mix.
- All-purpose flour: I use all-purpose flour for this churros recipe, it creates the perfect fluffy churro cups! I have not tested this recipe in a gluten-free version yet, so I can't make any recommendations on the perfect flour to use.
- Flax eggs: a flax egg is created with a 1:1 mix of milled flaxseeds and water. Setting this mix aside for 10 minutes will create a gooey texture that is perfect to replace eggs in vegan baking. In this recipe, the flax eggs have the purpose to hold the rest of the ingredients perfectly together to create the wonderfully fluffy churro texture.
- Rapeseed oil spray: I like to use rapeseed oil for greasing the tins, as it's flavourless and keeps the churro cups from sticking to the muffin tin without altering their flavour. If you don't mind the flavour addition of coconut, you can also use coconut oil for greasing.
For the topping
There are numerous options for the topping of your vegan churro cups. I love to filling them with delicious vegan ice cream - like this creamy vegan salted caramel, yum! - and topping it with vegan syrups, fresh fruit and a good crunch, such as puffed quinoa or crushed nuts. And how about a drizzle of nut butter, mi amigos? 😜
- 6 whole muffin tin
- Piping bag with a star nozzle
- Large mixing bowl
How to make Vegan Churro Cups
Getting oven ready
To start with, preheat your oven to 190ºC, turn your muffin tray upside down and grease every other cavity of your tray (so they don't stick together when they expand!)
How to make your flax eggs
While you're waiting for your oven to get nice and hot, make a start on your 'flax eggs'. It's easy, simply mix milled flax seeds with an equal amount of water and set aside for 10 minutes until you're left with a gooey mixture.
Making your churro dough
Next, get a large mixing bowl and mix the flour and vanilla powder together. However, if you're using vanilla extract instead, don't add it just yet but be sure to have it nearby ready for the next step.
Now, in a saucepan heat up your 250ml of water, vegan margarine, brown sugar, granulated sugar, salt and vanilla extract (if you're using it!) before stirring until the margarine has melted and the sugar has completely dissolved. Bring the mixture to a boil and then immediately add it to the vanilla and flour mixture.
Turning your dough into churro cups
Stir the mixture with a spatula and add your flax eggs then mix everything together and put your dough in a large piping bag with a star-shaped nozzle.
Next, pipe the dough around every other muffin cup (starting from the bottom!).
Extra Tip: Be sure to pipe them right onto the row below, slightly pressing into the lower row to avoid any cracks in your churro bowls.
Next, give the piped cups a spray of rapeseed oil and bake for approximately 20 minutes or until they're nice and golden. When they're done, take them out of the oven and give them another 20 minutes to cool down before taking them out of the muffin tray.
When thy're ready, mix the rest of your granulated sugar and ground cinnamon in a bowl. Now you can use this to toss your churro cups in, coating them in the mixture!
All you've got to do now is put them on a plate with a scoop of vegan ice cream, raspberries, nuts and maple syrup - or whatever toppings you want!
You might also enjoy these recipes:
This recipe is:
- 100% vegan
- much easier to make than you might think
- deliciously crunchy on the outside
- fluffy & soft on the inside
- delicious & addictive
- perfect to serve your ice cream in!
📌 If you love Pinterest you can pin any of the images to your boards!Print
Vegan Churro Cups Recipe
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 20
- Total Time: 35 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
- Category: Dessert
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Mexican
- Diet: Vegan
These wonderful edible ice cream cups are made from delicious, homemade churros! Less complicated than you may think - and oh-so-yummy!
For the churro bowls
- 250ml water
- 110g vegan margarine (unsalted)
- 1 Tbsp light brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla bean powder (or extract)
- 200g all purpose flour
- 3 flax eggs (3 Tbsp milled flax seeds + 3 Tbsp water)
- Rapeseed oil spray for greasing
For the coating
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 70g granulated sugar (or alternative)
For the topping
- Vegan Ice Cream
- Vegan syrup
- Puffed quinoa or nuts
- Preheat your oven to 190ºC, flip a muffin tray upside down and grease every other cavity of your muffin tray - otherwise they might stick together when they grow!
- Prepare your flax eggs and set them aside for 10 minutes prior to use.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour and vanilla powder (if you’re using vanilla extract instead, then add it in step 4).
- In a saucepan, heat the water, vegan margarine, brown sugar, granulated sugar, and salt and stir until the margarine is fully melted and sugar dissolved. Bring to a boil, then add it to the vanilla/flour mixture immediately.
- Stir with a spatula and add in your flax eggs. Mix until everything is fully incorporated, then transfer the dough into a large piping bag with a star shaped nozzle.
- Starting at the bottom, pipe the dough around every other muffin cups. Be sure to pipe them right onto the row below, slightly pressing into the lower row to avoid any cracks in your churro bowls. Spray the piped cups with a little rapeseed oil, then bake in the oven for around 20 minutes or until golden.
- Remove them from the oven and let them cool down for 20 minutes before removing them from the muffin tray.
- Combine the remaining granulated sugar and cinnamon in a bowl and toss your churro cups in the mixture, then plate them and add a scoop of ice cream alongside raspberries, nuts and syrup. Enjoy!
Keywords: vegan churros, vegan churro cups, churro cups, edible ice cream cups, vegan ice cream cups, vegan churro ice cream cups
If you liked this recipe then why not try some of my other vegan treats - here are a few of my faves:
- Vegan Arancini Recipe with Pumpkin and Sage
- Vegan Triple Chocolate and Pecan Cookies Recipe
- Vegan Chocolate Hazelnut Babka Recipe
- Vegan Blueberry Cheesecake Muffins
© Romy London / Romina Callwitz | All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images and content without prior permission. If you wish to re-publish this recipe, please get in touch via email. Thank you so much for supporting romylondonuk.com!
💭 Leave a Comment