Easy Vegan Feta Cheese Recipe - based on macadamia nuts! Super smooth and creamy and you only need a blender, saucepan and container.
- 80g of raw macadamia nuts
- 190ml filtered water
- 1 1/2 tbsp agar agar powder
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/8 tsp citric acid
Marinade (for later use of the feta - optional):
- vinegar or lemon juice
- olive oil
- a little water
- garlic powder
- your favourite herbs (I recommend dill, oregano, parsley & chives)
- a little salt
- Soak the macadamia nuts in clear water overnight or for 8hrs. Drain and rinse once the soaking time elapses.
- Place the nuts into a high-speed blender alongside the. remainder of the ingredients: filtered water, agar agar sea salt and citric acid. Blend on a high-speed until smooth & creamy.
- Transfer the nut mix into a non-stick saucepan and heat over low/medium heat and continuously stir (important!). Heat the mix to about 60C (140F), you will realise that the mixture will begin to thicken up once the right temperature is reached.
- Stir thoroughly, then pour the content into a flat tray (I used a rectangular Tupperware) and place it into the fridge for a minimum of 1-2 hrs until set.
- Carefully remove the 'cheese' from the tray and cut it into cubes.
- If you like to keep your feta for later use, create a marinade (see suggested ingredients above) and store your vegan feta in a jar alongside the marinade.
If you don't have any macadamia nuts to hand, you can alternatively also use almonds, but it's best to remove the almond skins after the soaking process to create a smooth and light cheese.
If you're purchasing citric acid for this recipe, ensure to get a food grade citric acid as not all are suitable for consumption. I've linked a suitable version above for you.
Keywords: vegan feta recipe, macadamia nut cheese recipe, vegan greek style cheese recipe