The perfect summer salad packing a handful of flavor! This lentil salad with roasted cabbage steaks is the perfect midweek dinner for the summer months - so refreshing and so easy to prepare! For this recipe, we're using cooked green lentils and white cabbage with a simple vegan yogurt dressing.
I've recently ended up with some leftover cabbage and I wanted to create something different than frying the shredded cabbage or making coleslaw - and this is how I first created this delicious Roasted Cabbage Steaks and Lentil Salad!
The roasted cabbage steaks are so simple but so delicious, full of umami flavor and work deliciously alongside the cooked green lentils and mild yogurt dressing.
The entire dish is light, super easy to prepare and packs a great amount of flavor. With 1 average size head of white cabbage, you can easily feed 2 with this recipe.
- White cabbage - the base for the delicious cabbage steaks
- Green lentils - I like to use tinned green lentils for ease. All you need to do it drain and briefly rinse, which makes them the most convenient option. You can also use dried lentils - in that case cook them using their packaging instructions, then let them cook down completely before assembling the salad
- Olive oil - for the cabbage steak marinade
- Seasonings - for the cabbage steaks I use smoked paprika, fine salt and black pepper
- Vegan yogurt dressing - the salad is served with a light vegan yogurt dressing made using vegan yogurt, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar and salt and pepper. I used Alpro soy yogurt.
- Fresh parsley - for a fresh finish before serving the salad
- baking tray & non-stick parchment
- small bowl
Plus a serving dish, and knife to cut your cabbage steaks.
How to make Roasted Cabbage Steaks
Essentially, there are three parts in this recipe: the cabbage steaks, the lentils and the dressing.
Prepare cabbage steaks
- Preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Wash & slice your cabbage into 1/2-inch (2.5 cm) discs using a long, sharp knife.
- Place the cabbage slices onto a lined baking tray. Lightly grease the parchment paper to avoid sticking.
- In a small bowl, combine olive and seasonings. If needed, add a little water to create a spreadable marinade.
- Brush the marinade onto the cabbage steaks.
- Roast in the oven for 20-25 minutes or until the cabbage is softened and golden on top.
Prepare vegan yogurt salad dressing
- For the vegan yogurt dressing, combine the vegan yogurt, lemon juice and apple cider vinegar in a small bowl.
- Season to taste with salt & pepper.
The dressing should have a pourable texture. If yours is too thick, add a small amount of water until you get the desired texture.
Assemble the lentil salad
- Drain & rinse the lentils.
- Toss them in half of the salad dressing and half the parsley.
- Arrange the lentils on a serving plate and top with the cabbage steaks.
- Sprinkle over the remaining parsley & drizzle in the rest of the dressing.
Variations for this recipe:
- Lentils - instead of green lentils, you can also add a variety of other beans or legumes. This dish is delicious with butter beans, cannellini beans, chickpeas or red kidney beans for example. Simply use what you have to hand!
- No lemons - the lemons are adding wonderful acidity to the dressing, but if you don't have any lemon juice to hand, you can also sprinkle 1/2 tsp of lemon zest(you can buy those ready-made nowadays!), or simply add more apple cider vinegar to balance the flavor.
- Parsley - you can easily replace the parsley with coriander in this recipe, it's just as delicious!
- Dressing - This recipe is delicious with the yogurt dressing, but if you fancy something slightly different, try my Homemade Vegan Caesar Dressing!
This recipe is best served right away, but it's also delicious for your lunchbox.
You can serve the cabbage steaks cold, too, they're just as delicious and pack a whole bunch of flavor. If you are planning to serve your salad later, best store the yogurt dressing separately for best results.
If you love an extra crunch in your salad, add some Homemade Garlic and Herb Croutons!
This recipe is:
- 100% vegan
- healthy & delicious
- super tasty
- full of umami flavor
- so easy to make!
- perfect hot or cold
Why not try my homemade Vegan Feta Recipe also? It's not only perfect to add to this cabbage and lentil salad but delicious on all sorts of fresh dinners!
📌 If you love Pinterest you can pin any of the images to your boards!Print
Roasted Cabbage Steaks and Lentil Salad
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 15
- Total Time: 25 minutes
- Yield: 2 1x
- Category: Salad
- Method: Roasting
- Cuisine: American
- Diet: Vegan
Making lentil salads great again: these roasted cabbage wedges definitely add the special something to this simple vegan salad recipe! Served with a zesty homemade yogurt dressing and fresh parsley.
- 1 small white cabbage
- 1 14-oz tin green lentils (400 g)
- a handful of fresh parsley (30 g)
For the marinade:
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (28 ml)
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp fine salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp water (optional)
For the yogurt dressing:
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 2 tbsp vegan yogurt
- 2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar (15 ml)
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Pre-heat your oven to 190°C. Wash and slice the white cabbage into wedges of 1/2-inch thickness and place them on a lined and lightly greased baking tray.
- In a small bowl, stir together the olive oil, smoked paprika, salt and pepper to create a marinade. The mix should be spreadable - if needed, add small amounts of water until you get the right texture.
- Brush the cabbage steaks with the marinade, then roast them in the middle of the preheated oven for 20-25 minutes, or until the cabbage is softened and the steaks golden.
- In the meantime, drain the tin of lentils and finely chop the fresh parsley.
- Whisk up the vegan yogurt dressing: In a small bowl, combine the vegan yogurt, olive oil, lemon juice and apple cider vinegar and season to taste with salt and black pepper.
- Mix the lentils with half of the dressing and half of the parsley and arrange it on a serving plate.
- Top with the roasted cabbage steaks, drizzle with the remaining yogurt dressing and sprinkle with the rest of the parsley to garnish.
- This recipe is best served right away, but you can also serve the cabbage steaks cold, too, they're just as delicious! If you are planning to serve your salad later, best store the yogurt dressing separately for best results.
- Instead of green lentils, you can also use butter beans, cannellini beans, chickpeas or red kidney beans for example. Simply use what you have to hand!
- This recipe is delicious with the yogurt dressing, but if you fancy something slightly different, try my Homemade Vegan Caesar Dressing!
- If you love an extra crunch in your salad, add some Homemade Garlic and Herb Croutons!
- The lemons are adding wonderful acidity to the dressing, but if you don't have any lemon juice to hand, you can also sprinkle 1/2 tsp of lemon zest(you can buy those ready-made nowadays!), or simply add more apple cider vinegar to balance the flavor.
- You can easily replace the parsley with coriander in this recipe, it's just as delicious!
Keywords: roasted cabbage, roasted cabbage steaks, cabbage steaks, roasted cabbage salad, lentil salad, vegan lentil salad, vegan yogurt dressing
Looking for more salad recipes? Don't worry, I've got you covered!
💭 Leave a Comment