Easy Vegan Feta Cheese Recipe - based on macadamia nuts! Super smooth and creamy and you only need a blender!
Vegan Feta Cheese
Feta cheese has always been one of my favourites to add to delicious salad bowls. After going vegan I didn't have any alternative to real feta cheese for years, but in the last 2 to 3 years it's been a blessing to see multiple branded feta cheese alternatives coming up. They're however not widely stocked (yet), and this is where this Vegan Feta Cheese Recipe comes in!
This recipe is easy to make as you only need a few ingredients and basic equipment!
What you'll need for this Vegan Feta Cheese Recipe
- Macadamia nuts
- Filtered water
- Agar agar powder (get it from Amazon!)
- Sea salt
- Citric acid (get it from Amazon!)
Marinade (for later use of the feta - optional):
- Vinegar or lemon juice
- Olive oil
- A little water
- Garlic powder
- Your favourite herbs (I recommend dill, oregano, parsley & chives)
- Pinch of salt
- High-speed blender*
- Rectangular Tupperware or container for the feta
*If you're looking for a new blender, take a look at Greenis. They've got a whole range of fantastic blenders, plus, if you do buy using the affiliate link above you'll be supporting my content!
How to make Vegan Feta Cheese Recipe
Start by soaking your macadamia nuts in clear water overnight or for a minimum of 8 hours. If you want to speed up the process, simply boil your macadamia nuts for 15-20 minutes to soften them. Be aware that this quick process can lose some of the nutrients in your macadamia nuts.
Drain and rinse once the soaking/cooking time has elapsed, then place the nuts into a high-speed blender alongside the rest of the ingredients: filtered water, agar-agar, sea salt and citric acid. Blend on a high speed until smooth & creamy, this can take about 5-10 minutes depending on your blender. If your blender is struggling, you might need to pause during the process and scrape down the sides of the blender so that everything can get combined.
Transfer the nut mix into a non-stick saucepan and heat over low/medium heat and continuously stir - this bit is really important!
Heat the mix to about 60ºC (140ºF), you will realise that the mixture will begin to thicken up once the right temperature is reached. Stir thoroughly, then pour the content into a flat tray (I used rectangular Tupperware) and place it into the fridge for a minimum of 1-2 hrs until it's fully set.
Carefully remove the simple vegan feta cheese from the tray and cut it into cubes.
Storing the vegan feta for later
If you like to keep your feta for later use, you can easily whip up a simple marinade that will keep your feta fine in the fridge.
Create a marinade using vinegar (or lemon juice), olive oil, garlic powder, your favourite herbs (I recommend dill, oregano, parsley & chives), a little salt and a little water. Store your vegan feta in a jar along with the marinade.
You can store the feta in your fridge with the marinade for up to a week.
This recipe is:
- 100% vegan
- easy to create
- made from Macadamia nuts
- super delicious!
- possibly one of the best vegan feta recipes around! 😉
📌 If you love Pinterest you can pin any of the images to your boards!
Vegan Feta Cheese Recipe
- 80 g raw macadamia nuts
- 190 ml filtered water
- 1.5 tbsp agar agar powder
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/8 tsp citric acid
For the marinade (optional - to taste):
- vinegar or lemon juice
- olive oil
- a little water
- garlic powder
- your favorite herbs e.g. dill, oregano, parsley, chives
- a little salt
- Soak the macadamia nuts in clear water overnight or for 8hrs. Drain and rinse once the soaking time elapses.
- Place the nuts into a high-speed blender alongside the. remainder of the ingredients: filtered water, agar agar sea salt and citric acid. Blend on a high-speed until smooth & creamy.
- Transfer the nut mix into a non-stick saucepan and heat over low/medium heat and continuously stir (important!). Heat the mix to about 60C (140F), you will realise that the mixture will begin to thicken up once the right temperature is reached.
- Stir thoroughly, then pour the content into a flat tray (I used a rectangular Tupperware) and place it into the fridge for a minimum of 1-2 hrs until set.
- Carefully remove the 'cheese' from the tray and cut it into cubes.
- If you like to keep your feta for later use, create a marinade (see suggested ingredients above) and store your vegan feta in a jar alongside the marinade.
- If you don't have any macadamia nuts to hand, you can alternatively also use almonds, but it's best to remove the almond skins after the soaking process to create a smooth and light cheese.
- If you're purchasing citric acid for this recipe, ensure to get a food grade citric acid as not all are suitable for consumption. I've linked a suitable version above for you.
Love this vegan feta cheese recipe? Then you'll love these other cheesy vegan recipes! Here are some of my favourites:
- Vegan Mac and Cheese Burger
- Cheesy Roasted Butternut Squash Pasta
- The Ultimate Vegan Cheese Sauce Recipe
© Romy London / Romina Callwitz | All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images and content without prior permission. If you wish to re-publish this recipe, please get in touch via email. Thank you so much for supporting romylondonuk.com!
💭 Leave a Comment