There's nothing more divine than a homemade pasta sauce and this Creamy Vegan Roasted Red Pepper Pasta is definitely proof.
This pasta sauce recipe originally started as an experiment: I had an overflow of red bell peppers in the fridge from a photoshoot and I was really in the mood for a pasta dinner. So, long story short: I combined the two and created this wonderfully creamy vegan pasta sauce.
This recipe is:
- 100% vegan
- egg free
- dairy free
- super easy to make
- rich and creamy
- packed with vegetables
- perfect for quick dinners
Ingredients and Notes
- pasta - When trying to find the right pasta, I always look at how well it can hold the pasta sauce. Pasta with ridges and little 'pockets' tend to work better than smooth pasta. I this case I used conchiglie pasta, but you can also use fusilli. This pasta sauce is also delicious alongside gluten-free pasta, so feel free to swap it.
- red bell peppers - chopped and seeds removed. Sweet red peppers also work in this creamy pasta sauce recipe. If you use sweet peppers, the sauce will have a sweet flavour note.
- tomato puree
- vegetable stock - make sure it's vegan-friendly! I use a UK-brand called Kallo.
- extra virgin olive oil
- nutritional yeast - often also called 'nooch' and a fantastic staple ingredient for your vegan pantry. I use it in a lot of my recipes including the BEST vegan cheese sauce and the Vegan Carbonara recipe.
- lightly-greased oven dish
Looking for a new blender? Take a look at what's on offer from Greenis - I have used one of their blenders for years now and it has never let me down. Not only do they have a wide range of brilliant blenders, but if you use my affiliate link, you can support this blog (and it doesn't cost you anything extra!).
Step 1: Preparation
- preheat your oven to 220ºC
- wash the peppers and remove the seeds
- roughly chop the peppers
- prepare your favorite pasta according to packaging instructions
Step 2: Roasting
- place the peppers in a baking tray
- brush with olive oil
- sprinkle with salt
- roast in the middle of the preheated oven until the skin begins to split
Step 3: Blending
- add the peppers to a high-speed blender along with the tomato puree, 50ml of vegetable stock and your nutritional yeast and blitz it until you've got a smooth (and tasty!) paste
- to make the sauce extra creamy you can add a little pasta cooking water
Extra tip: For me, this is a really delicious recipe as it is, but if you're looking for a little extra kick, why not add some red pepper flakes.
Step 4: Assembly
- pour your sauce into a saucepan and cook it over medium heat to heat it through
- season to taste with salt and pepper
- serve on top or mixed with your favorite pasta sauce
You can serve this pasta dish in a few delicious ways:
- add tofu bacon pieces! You can find the instructions for these in this Gnocchi Carbonara recipe
- with a little side salad! I personally love arugula (rocket salad) on the side
- add some greens! Roasted Tenderstem broccoli is delicious on top but you can also steam some greens such as kale or courgette slices
More vegan pasta recipes to try:
Creamy Roasted Red Pepper Pasta
- 1 oven dish
- 1 blender
- 3 sweet red peppers
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 pinch sea salt
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 50 ml vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- salt and black pepper to taste
- Preheat your oven to 220ºC.
- Wash your peppers, then remove the stems and chop them roughly.
- Transfer the chopped peppers to a baking tray, brush them with Extra Virgin Olive Oil & sprinkle a pinch of salt across – then put them in the oven on a medium level and roast the peppers until the skin begins to crack.
- Add the roasted peppers to a high-speed blender together with the tomato puree, stock and nutritional yeast and blend until you receive a smooth paste.
- Pour the sauce into a saucepan and heat on the stove, season with salt & pepper to taste & serve alongside your favorite pasta. I personally love to add rocket salad on the side also.
If you liked this dish, then you'll surely enjoy my other pasta recipes! Here are some of my personal favorites:
- Vegan Seafood Pasta Recipe
- Vegan Butternut Squash Pasta Recipe
- Creamy Sun-dried Tomato Pasta
- Vegan Black Bean Meatballs
© Romy London / Romina Callwitz | All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images and content without permission. If you wish to re-publish any recipes or images, please get in touch via email. Thanks for your support!