A delicious alternative to baked beans! These Spanish Baked Beans give your savoury vegan breakfast that special something.
Whilst I totally love Heinz beans, I also love making my own baked beans at home. This Smoky Baked Beans Recipe is Spanish-inspired with a hearty and smoky flavour for simple, tasty and fuss-free mornings. It's wonderfully filling, but super healthy and a nice twist on the baked beans we're used to having. These smoky beans are easily one of my favourite savoury vegan recipes to make for breakfast.
- Bay leaves
- Butter beans
- Yellow onion
- Tinned chopped tomatoes
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Smoked paprika powder
- Sea salt & black pepper to taste
Not only is this is a super easy meal to make, but it's super tasty and really healthy too!
Firstly, you'll want to heat a splash of olive oil in a pan before adding your chopped onion. Whilst the onion is frying, stir continuously for 3-5 minutes until soft then add the crushed garlic, bay leaves and paprika into the pan and fry for another minute.
Next, drain your butter beans and pour them into the pan with everything else - and the chopped tomatoes. Allow the mixture to simmer for 15 minutes on low heat before adding the spinach and allowing it to wilt.
Next, simply add salt and pepper until you're happy with the taste and enjoy! See, I told you it was easy 😉
This recipe is:
- 100% vegan
- alternative to baked beans
- easy to make gluten-free
- simply delicious
- easy to make
A delicious alternative to baked beans! These Smoky Spanish Baked Beans give your savoury vegan breakfast that special something.
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 400-g tins butter beans, drained
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 2 400-g tins chopped tomatoes
- a handful of spinach
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp smoked paprika powder
- sea salt & black pepper to taste
- Start by heating a little olive oil in a pan and add the chopped onion. Fry the onion whilst stirring continuously for 3-5 minutes until translucent. Add the crushed garlic, bay leaves and paprika into the pan and fry for another minute.
- Pour in the drained butter beans and chopped tomatoes and gently stir. Allow to simmer for 15 minutes on a low heat, then add the spinach and allow it to wilt. Season to taste with salt & pepper.
- Serve with freshly toasted bread & enjoy!
Keywords: savoury vegan breakfast, spanish baked beans, vegan breakfast recipe, smoky baked beans
If you liked this recipe, then check out my other savoury vegan breakfast options - here are a few of my favourites:
- Easy Vegan Shakshuka Recipe (No Tofu)
- Vegan Egg McMuffin Recipe
- Best Vegan Bacon Recipe | Rice Paper Bacon
- Vegan Scrambled Eggs (No Tofu)
© Romy London / Romina Callwitz | All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images and content without permission. If you wish to re-publish any recipes or images, please get in touch via email. Thanks for your support!