The stuff that (vegan) dreams are made of – Vegan Kebab Meat! Perfect for a delicious doner kebab, baked with vegan cheese or simply on its own.
- 280g Vital Wheat Gluten
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 4 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 4 tsp dried thyme
- 4 tsp dried parsley
- 4 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 400ml water
- 2 Tbsp tamari soy sauce
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 Tbsp liquid smoke
For the pan-fry:
- extra virgin olive oil
- tamari soy sauce
- Start by combining the dry ingredients in a large bowl. In a separate bowl combine all the wet ingredients. Slowly add the wet ingredients into the wet and mix using a spatula. Knead on the counter top using your hands – sprinkle a little vital wheat gluten on the counter top to avoid it sticking. Alternatively you can combine the dry and wet ingredients in a Magimix with dough hook.
- Knead for about 5 minutes or until combined and the dough is feeling stretchy and even. Gently form a log shape.
- Tightly wrap the Seitan log in multiple layers of Extra Strong Kitchen Foil. Place it in oven with a tray of water underneath. Cook for 30 minutes at 200C.
- Let the log cool down entirely without removing it from the foil. Once entirely cooled down, you can remove it from the oil.
- Place the Seitan in a cast iron pan, continue brushing the log with oil and pour over small amounts of tamari soy sauce. Turn the log into the pan until the outside is crispy all around. Remove from the pan, shave off outer layer with a sharp knife, then set back into pan and repeat until the entire log is shaved off.
- Serve as a doner kebab or on its own. Enjoy!
The kebab can also be frozen – either after the baking process for later frying OR after the pan-fry. Ideally freeze in portion sizes for easier handling!
I love to serve this Kebab meat in a homemade flatbread, with lettuce, tomato and vegan tzatziki sauce or yogurt.
Keywords: vegan kebab, vegan kebab meat, vegan doner kebab, seitan kebab