Crunchy & wonderfully snacky Vegan Kebab Popcorn - get your dips ready, cause we're going in!
I've been simply obsessed with making my own KFC-style popcorn! So wonderfully crunchy and snacky, it's simply been perfect to get through all of the movies and series on Disney Plus and Netflix (we're currently watching all Simpsons episodes in order... yes, we're on a serious mission!).
For this recipe, I've used the Oumph! Kebab, which was wonderfully convenient and already full of flavor itself, so that the recipe of this recipe was super easy to make!
Ingredients for this recipe
- Oumph! Kebab (find it at Tesco, Whole foods, Asda & As Nature Intended in the UK)
- chickpea flour
- smoked paprika powder
- fine sea salt
- black pepper
- plant milk
- vegetable oil for frying
- 2 medium size bowls
- 1 deep saucepan for frying (with a lid)
- paper towel to drain the oil after frying
- some tongs or similar for safe removal of the fried goods
- oven to keep the popcorn warm
How to make Vegan Kebab Popcorn
For the Kebab Popcorn start by gently defrosting your bag of Oumph! Kebab for about 15 minutes. Simply place it outside of the freezer and open the bag for them to defrost a little quicker.
Cut your Oumph! Kebab chunks into bite-size popcorn chunks (most of them I cut in halves, some of the smaller bits I kept whole).
Set out 2 bowls: In the first bowl combine the chickpea flour, smoked paprika, sea salt, black pepper, and plant milk until you get a thick, but runny texture. In the second bowl place the breadcrumbs. Slowly heat the vegetable oil in a deep saucepan, test if it's ready to fry by placing a drop of the chickpea mix in - if it starts frying almost immediately, you're ready to go. If not, then let it heat a little further. It's important to slowly heat the frying oil, otherwise, it could easily burn or start spitting once you place your future popcorn inside.
Dip each Oumph! Kebab piece into the chickpea flour batter, let any excess drip off, then coat it in the breadcrumbs mix and carefully drop it into the hot oil. Repeat with the rest of the kebab pieces, but ensure not to overload the saucepan, or they will stick & get soggy. Ideally, fry in batches!
Once fried (it'll only take up to a minute!) carefully remove the fried kebab popcorn from the oil with kitchen tongs and place it on a paper towel to drain any excess oil. Place the popcorn on a baking tray into the oven to keep it warm & crispy whilst you're frying the rest of your kebab into popcorn bites. Keep it at a low heat (around 80-100°C).
When you've created all your popcorn bites, then serve them hot alongside a delicious vegan dip! See some suggestions below.
Dips for the Kebab Popcorn
As I love my vegan kebab popcorn lightly spicy, it's perfect to serve it with a non-spicy dip. That's why I love opting for yogurt-based dips to go alongside, to create a perfect & delicious flavor balance.
For my yogurt dip I combined:
- 2 Tbsp dairy-free yogurt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- roughly 2 tbsp fresh chives, chopped
- 1/2 tsp dried parsley
- salt and black pepper to taste
Some other dip options:
- hot sauce or sriracha (if you like it spicy!)
- my ultimate vegan cheese sauce
- spicy butter bean dip
- curried hummus dip (add a little extra liquid to make it runnier)
- pineapple curry BBQ sauce
This recipe is:
- 100% vegan
- super crunchy
- deep-fried in a saucepan
- easily made at home
- super tasty
- perfect for dipping
- an awesome snack for your vegan party
If you love these kebab bites, you might also enjoy my Seitan Kebab Recipe! It's one of the most popular recipes from the blog and I think that speaks for itself 🙂
📌 If you love Pinterest you can pin any of the images to your boards!Print
Crunchy & wonderfully snack-y Vegan Kebab Popcorn - get your dips ready, cause we're going in!
- 1 pack of Oumph! Kebab
- 5 Tbsp chickpea flour
- 2 tsp smoked paprika powder
- 1/2 tsp fine sea salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 100-150ml plant milk
- 5 tbsp plain breadcrumbs
- 500ml vegetable oil for frying
- Gently defrost your bag of Oumph! Kebab for about 15 minutes, before starting with the recipe. In the meantime slowly pre-heat your vegetable oil in a deep saucepan with a lid.
- Cut your Oumph! Kebab chunks into bite size popcorn chunks.
- In a small bowl combine chickpea flour, smoked paprika, sea salt, black pepper and plant milk until you get a thick, but runny texture. Place the breadcrumbs in a second bowl.
- Dip each Oumph! Kebab piece into the chickpea flour batter, let any excess drip off, then coat it in the breadcrumbs mix and carefully drop it into the hot oil. Repeat with the rest of the kebab pieces
- Place your kebab popcorn on a paper tower to drain any excess oil, then transfer it to an oven tray and keep warm in your oven on a low setting.
- Repeat until all bites are created and serve them hot alongside a delicious vegan dip!
You can also oven bake your Vegan Kebab Popcorn, however these till not come out as crispy. Bake at 190C for 12-15 minutes or until crunchy.
Keywords: vegan popcorn chicken, vegan kebab popcorn, vegan popcorn chicken recipe
Looking for more vegan recipes? Try making this one with my homemade vegan Seitan Kebab!
© 2024 Romy London / Romina Callwitz | All images, videos, wordings and content are copyright protected and belong to Romina Callwitz. Please do not use any of my content without prior permission. If you wish to re-publish any (part of my) content, please get in touch via email. Thanks for your support!