Embrace the cozy vibes and warm up your soul with this delightful Roasted Butternut Squash Soup!
This recipe features a vegan-friendly and gluten-free soup, that’s an absolute hug in a bowl. Perfect for those chilly days when you need some comfort in every spoonful!
Picture this: tender cubes of butternut squash, lovingly roasted to golden perfection and then blitzed into a creamy, velvety blend of deliciousness. And as if that wasn't good enough - crunchy pesto butter beans are served on top as the ultimate 'pièce de résistance'. Are you hungry yet??
As the aroma of roasting squash fills your kitchen, those little butter beans are getting an upgrade in the oven, tossed with a flavorful vegan basil pesto to create a crunchy bean topping that adds more to this creamy soup masterpiece than just a simple garnish.
Served with a drizzle of olive oil and a sprinkle of fresh thyme, this butternut squash soup recipe is truly a symphony of flavors, creating the perfect harmony to kick off an autumnal feast - so let's get ready to make some!
If you're looking for more wholesome and flavorful soup recipes, indulge in this hearty vegan White Bean Soup Recipe, savour the comforting warmth of this Kale and Borlotti Bean Soup, or spice up your mealtime with a zesty, Spicy Swede Soup!
❤️ What's Great About this Soup Recipe
- Deliciously Warming - Ideal for colder days, this soup offers some much needed comfort!
- Vegan & Dairy-Free - Suitable for those following a vegan, gluten-free, or dairy-free diet.
- Easy to Make - Simple steps and common ingredients make it accessible for various cooking skill levels.
- Family-Friendly - Suitable for the whole family, providing a nutritious and flavourful meal for all!
- Meal Prep Friendly - Perfect for preparing ahead or freezing for later meals.
- The tasty addition of Pesto Butter Beans - A unique addition, the butter beans with basil pesto add a delightful texture and flavour to the soup.
- It's customizable - The recipe is easily adaptable – can be served with additional toppings like coconut yogurt for extra creaminess.
And here’s the best part: It’s a breeze to whip up and can be prepped ahead for those busy days. Freeze it for future cravings or enjoy it fresh with a dollop of coconut yogurt for that extra touch of creamy goodness. So, ladle out a bowl, garnish with those pesto-roasted beans, and savor the delightful warmth of this comforting soup!
🥕 Ingredients & Notes
Here's everything you need for this creamy soup dish:
- Butternut squash - Peeled, deseeded, and cubed into bite-sized pieces for roasting. You can also use pre-cubed store-bought butternut squash to make this recipe even quicker! And you can use any leftover squash to make delicious deliciously creamy Vegan Butternut Squash Pasta the next day!
- Extra virgin olive oil - Used to coat the butternut squash cubes before roasting, adding flavor and aiding in caramelization.
- Dried thyme - Sprinkled over the squash for a fragrant herbaceous touch.
- Stock cube - Provides a savory base for the soup; choose a vegetable stock cube for this vegan squash soup!
- Maple syrup - For a hint of natural sweetness to balance the flavors.
- Balsamic vinegar - Infuses the soup with a subtle tanginess, complementing the naturally sweet notes of the butternut squash.
- Salt & pepper - To season the soup to taste before serving.
For the crunchy pesto butter beans:
- Canned butter beans - Pre-cooked, canned butter beans are my go-to for this delicious soup topping! Simply drain and rinse them well before mixing them with the vegan pesto. And if you have any more butter beans in the pantry after making this recipe, why not try this ultra Creamy Butter Bean Curry that's a firm favorite for my readers?
- Vegan basil pesto - Tossed with the butter beans to coat them in delicious herbal, garlicky flavors. Use store-bought or homemade.
To make this soup recipe, you will need the following kitchen equipment:
- Baking tray - For roasting the butternut squash and butter beans in the oven.
- Blender - To blend the roasted butternut squash and other ingredients into a smooth soup.
- Saucepan - To heat and serve the blended soup.
- Oven - For roasting the butternut squash and butter beans.
- Bowls and other utensils - For mixing, tossing, and serving the ingredients.
👩🍳 Recipe Instructions (Step-by-Step)
You can easily make this comforting soup recipe at home in just a few simple steps:
Step 1 - Preheat the Oven: Set your oven to 200°C (or 400°F) to preheat.
Step 2 - Prepare the Squash: Peel, deseed, and cube the butternut squash. Place the squash cubes on a baking tray, drizzle with olive oil, salt, and pepper, ensuring they're evenly coated. Roast in the preheated oven for about 20-25 minutes.
Step 3 - Prepare the Butter Beans: Combine the drained and rinsed butter beans with vegan basil pesto in a bowl. Spread them on a baking tray and add to the oven for the last 12-15 minutes of roasting time with the squash.
Step 4 - Blend the Ingredients: Once the squash is roasted, transfer it to a blender. Add dried thyme, a stock cube, maple syrup, balsamic vinegar, and hot water. Blend on high speed until smooth.
Step 5 - Warm the Soup: Pour the blended soup into a saucepan and heat for 2-3 minutes or until it's warmed through.
Step 6 - Serve: Ladle the soup into bowls, top with the pesto-roasted butter beans, and enjoy this comforting and delicious roasted butternut squash soup!
💡 Top Tips for Serving
Here are some additional serving tips for this roasted butternut squash soup:
- Garnish Creatively - Sprinkle some extra thyme leaves, a drizzle of olive oil, or a dollop of coconut yogurt on top for added flavor, extra creaminess and visual appeal!
- More Crunchy Toppings: Besides the pesto-roasted butter beans, consider adding roasted pumpkin seeds, croutons, or a sprinkle of chopped nuts for a contrasting texture.
- Accompaniments - Serve with a slice of crusty bread, a warm baguette, or garlic bread on the side. These make great companions to sop up every last drop of the delicious soup!
- Get Creative with the Presentation - When serving for a special occasion, use soup bowls or mugs with a festive design or colour that complements the warm tones of the soup!
- Customise Your Toppings - If you prefer extra spice, add a dash of hot sauce or a sprinkle of chili flakes. A handful of fresh herbs like parsley or cilantro can also elevate the taste and add a delicious freshness to the meal.
Feel free to personalize the toppings and presentation to suit your taste and make the dining experience even more enjoyable! 🙂
You might also enjoy these soup recipes:
📌 If you love Pinterest you can pin any of the images to your boards!Print
Deliciously warming roasted butternut squash soup - topped with crunchy pesto roasted butter beans. This recipe is vegan, gluten free, dairy free, easy to make and suitable for the entire family!
- 1 medium size butternut squash, peeled, deseeded and cubed
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 stock cube
- 1 tsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 700ml hot water
- salt & pepper to taste
For the butter beans:
- 1 can butter beans (400g), drained and rinsed
- 2 tbsp vegan basil pesto (I used Mr Organic)
- Preheat your oven to 200C.
- Place the butternut squash cubes onto a baking tray, drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper and toss to coat evenly. Place in the oven for 20-25 minutes to roast.
- In the meantime prepare the butter beans - drain them from the can and combine them in a medium size bowl with 2 Tbsp vegan basil pesto. Place on a separate baking tray and add to the oven for the last 12-15 minutes with the squash.
- Transfer the roasted squash to a blender alongside the remainder of the ingredients and blend on a high speed until smooth.
- Pour the soup into a saucepan and heat for 2-3 minutes or until ready to serve.
- Sprinkle the pesto roasted butter beans on top of the soup and serve.
- Soup Consistency - Adjust the consistency by gradually adding hot water while blending to achieve your preferred thickness.
- Topping Ideas - Experiment with various toppings like toasted pumpkin seeds, croutons, or a swirl of dairy-free cream for diverse flavors.
- Herbs & Spices - Try incorporating different herbs or spices like cumin, paprika, or nutmeg to personalize the soup's taste profile.
- Freezer & Meal Prep Friendly - This soup is perfect for a simple meal prep - without the butter beans - and can easily be prepped and frozen ahead of time.
- Crunchy Beans - The butter beans are best served straight from the oven so they keep their crispy texture.
- Extra Creaminess - Customize the soup's creaminess by adding a dollop of coconut yogurt upon serving.
Keywords: soup, vegan soup, butternut squash soup, roasted butternut squash
© Romy London / Romina Callwitz | All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images and content without permission. If you wish to re-publish any recipes or images, please get in touch via email. Thanks for your support!