Gingerbread cookies are a classic holiday treat, and this Vegan Gingerbread Cookie Dough takes the festive spirit to the next level - you can spoon it straight from the mixing bowl!
The cookie dough is perfect as a dessert or as a delicious snack and the warm, spicy flavors will surely have you asking for more. It's so easy to make, vegan & gluten-free and made using a healthy chickpea base.
This recipe is:
- 100% vegan
- filled with warming spices
- gluten free
- dairy free
- egg free
- easy to make
- perfect for the festive season
- super Christmassy!
Yes, you've read that right - this Gingerbread Cookie Dough is created from chickpeas! Amongst a couple of other ingredients to give it that delicious gingerbread taste we all know and love, of course.
I love creating healthy cookie dough from scratch. It's simple, delicious and it just ticks all the boxes for an indulgent vegan snack that takes you straight back to emptying out mum's bowls during Christmas baking (cause let's be honest: we've all done this, right?). And with the ingredients used it's a tasty, healthy alternative.
Ingredients & Notes
- Chickpeas - use tinned & drained chickpeas. Make sure they are unsalted and without any additives, and give them a good rinse before adding them to the recipe.
- Almond butter - use smooth, unsalted almond butter
- Vanilla extract
- Maple syrup - for sweetening
- Almond flour
- Brown sugar - for texture and sweetening
- Spices - ground cinnamon, ginger powder, ground clove, ground nutmeg and a little sea salt
- (optional) dairy-free chocolate chips
Spices for Gingerbread Seasoning
All the spices in gingerbread flavour are simple and easily accessible, so you can easily re-create this Gingerbread Cookie Dough at home.
The spices used in traditional gingerbread are:
Drain and rinse the chickpeas, then add them to a food processor and pulse for 20 seconds to break them down.
Add the rest of the ingredients except from the chocolate chips, if using, pulse until you're left with a doughy texture.
Remove the cookie dough from the processor, and fold in the chocolate chips.
Serving & Storage
You can serve your cookie dough immediately or keep it in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to two days.
Additional Serving Options
Cookie dough is fantastic on its own or combined with other treats. Here are some tasty ideas:
- On its own, straight from the bowl
- With ice cream
- As a topping for a milkshake or sundae
- Spread on top of a brownie or cake
- Mixed into a milkshake or smoothie for added flavor and texture
Here are some additional tips and tricks for making the best vegan cookie dough:
- Don't skimp on the salt, as it helps to balance out the sweetness and provide flavor.
- Make sure to chill your dough before eating to allow the flavors to meld and the texture to firm up.
- Pipe the cookie dough into small jars to give away as an edible gift!
You might also enjoy these recipes:
📌 If you love Pinterest you can pin any of the images to your boards!Print
Vegan Cookie Dough with Gingerbread Seasoning - Gluten free, raw cookie dough made with a healthy chickpea base!
- 1 tin chickpeas (make sure there's no salt added to the tin!)
- 60g almond butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 Tbsp Maple Syrup
- 30g almond flour
- 30g brown sugar
- a pinch of sea salt
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tsp ginger powder
- 1/4 tsp ground clove
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- (optional) dairy free chocolate chips
- Drain and rinse the chickpeas, then add them to a food processor and pulse for 20 seconds or until your chickpeas are roughly broken down.
- Use the food processor to combine all ingredients apart from the chocolate chips (if using) until you get a dough-like texture.
- Remove your cookie dough from the food processor and knead the dough with your hands to add in the chocolate chips.
- Serve your cookie dough immediately or place it in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to 2 days.
- Most importantly: enjoy!
Keywords: gingerbread, gingerbread cookie dough, vegan cookie dough, vegan gingerbread cookie dough, cookie dough recipe, christmas cookie dough, chickpea cookie dough recipe, cookie dough with chickpeas
Looking for more sweet recipes to get you into the festive spirit? Have a look through my list of 60+ Vegan Christmas Desserts, or check out some of my favourite festive treats below: