Deliciously chunky Chocolate Harry Potter Cookies - (almost) like Mrs. Weasley makes them during the festive season.
Where these Harry Potter-themed Cookies originate from
This recipe for Vegan Harry Potter Christmas Cookies is a veganised version of my favourite homemade cookies growing up: I'm sure you all remember those Christmas cookies that Mrs. Weasley made and sent to Ron and Harry for Christmas - they're especially mentioned in the first book and back in the day I found a recipe titled 'Mrs' Weasley's Christmas Cookies' on the inside of one of my Harry Potter tapes - yes, you heard right: tapes. It's been a while!
The recipe not only turned out to be the very first cookie recipe I've ever made myself, but also an all-time favourite of my entire family. The crunchy, nutty and chocolatey biscuits are simply addictive and there were many years and many sessions of (re-)creating this recipe over and over again - as no amount would last very long in our household.
I have since veganised the recipe, so I can still enjoy the indulgent goodness of these (Vegan) Harry Potter Christmas cookies.
What I've veganised
The original recipe for these chocolate cookies calls for egg, unsalted dairy butter, and milk chocolate - all of which I have easily swapped out for vegan alternatives. Butter and chocolate are easy swaps, whilst the egg had simply texturizing purposes in this cookie recipe, so I've simply replaced it with a so-called flax "egg".
If you've never used a flax "egg" before, let me tell you that it's an amazing egg replacement for most cakes and bakes. It helps bind the moisture in the cake and hold everything together, safe and sound. To create a flax "egg" simply stir together 1 part ground flaxseeds with 1.5 parts of water and set aside until the seeds soak up the liquid and a goo-ey texture is created.
Other recipes I use flaxseed for, are vegan pancakes and waffles.
- flax eggs made with ground flaxseeds and water - these are used to replace eggs in this vegan recipe adaptation and will hold the cookie batter and cookies in one piece!
- shredded chocolate - you can shred the chocolate yourself, however when I first made this recipe I used chocolate sprinkles, which are more commonly sold in Germany and The Netherlands (where I grew up!)
- ground hazelnuts - I get mine in bulk from Buywholefoodsonline
- self-raising flour
- baking powder
- coconut sugar - you can swap this for soft brown sugar
- soft vegan butter - I use the vegan butter from Flora
- cacao powder - swap for raw cocoa powder, if needed!
How to make Harry Potter Cookies
Besides the addictive taste of these cookies, this recipe is also super quick & easy to create and can be broken down into 3 main steps: make the flax "egg" and combine it with butter & sugar, combine dry ingredients & mix everything together.
To get the cookie batter onto your non-stick parchment, I like to use to teaspoons. Scoop you a teaspoon of batter with one, then use the second spoon to push it onto the parchment - done. You can use an ice cream scoop, however I personally prefer more, but smaller cookies. Also: don't worry too much about the shape of the cookies before they go into the oven: they tend to smoothen out during the baking process. But if you like to make sure to get super smooth cookies, then simply pick up each cookie batter portion and gently roll it between your palms to create even balls.
Bake the cookies for 12-15 minutes in the middle of your oven - if you end up with multiple baking trays, I'd recommend baking them in batches, if you're looking for evenly baked cookies. Once the baking time elapses, remove the cookies from your oven and let them cook completely before removing them from the parchment. They will still be very soft when they're straight out of the oven, but will firm up when they cool down.
This recipe is:
- Dairy Free
- Egg Free
- Deliciously nutty
- Super chocolate-y
- Mega simple
- Easily adaptable to be gluten free
- The perfect Vegan Christmas Cookies!
- A must-try if you're a Harry Potter fan just like me!
📌 If you love Pinterest you can pin any of the images to your boards!Print
Deliciously chunky vegan Harry Potter Christmas cookies - (almost) like Mrs Weasley used to make them!
This recipe is one of my favourites from childhood and also the first cookie recipe I ever tested out by myself. It originates from a recipe I found in the cover of my Harry Potter tapes and was named 'Mrs Weasley's Christmas cookies'. I've veganised the recipe since to still enjoy these delicious and addictive chocolate cookies nowadays.
- Preheat your oven to 180C.
- Combine 3 tablespoons of ground flaxseeds with 5 tablespoons water in a small bowl and set aside to soak.
- In the meantime, shred your chocolate (unless you're using ready-made sprinkles) and combine it with the flour, baking powder, ground hazelnuts, and cacao powder.
- In a separate bowl, whisk the soft vegan butter with the coconut sugar and soaked flax "egg", then gently pour this wet mix into the dry ingredients and combine.
- Use 2 teaspoons to portion the cookies onto a non-stick baking parchment, leaving at least 1-1.5 inches in between the cookies as they can drastically expand during the baking process.
- Don't worry about the shape of the cookies too much, they will mostly flatten out during the baking time, but if you want to ensure you get neat cookies, simply roll each cookie dough portion in your hand to neaten it.
- Bake in the middle of your oven for 12-15 minutes, then remove from the oven and let them cool down completely before removing them from the parchment.
- Enjoy and share with friends and family!
The cookies will be very soft when they first come out of the oven, so place them aside to cool down first before removing them from the baking parchment.
- Serving Size: per cookie
- Calories: 107
- Sugar: 9.2
- Sodium: 143.3
- Fat: 5.2
- Saturated Fat: 2
- Unsaturated Fat: 3.2
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 20.3
- Fiber: 3.7
- Protein: 2
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: harry potter cookies, harry potter recipes, vegan chocolate cookies, vegan harry potter recipes, harry potter rezepte, vegan christmas cookies, harry potter foods, harry potter themed recipes, christmas cookie recipes uk, how to make harry potter recipes,
Looking for more vegan cakes & bakes? Check out my baking section!