Delicious soft vegan apple cinnamon buns recipe – easy to make and perfect for sharing with friends & family.
- 40g plain flour + 420g plain flour
- 180ml plant milk + 160ml plant milk
- 14g yeast
- 40g caster sugar + 50g caster sugar (I used Tate & Lyle Pure Cane Caster Sugar)
- A pinch of salt
- 40ml rapeseed oil
- 2 apples, peeled and diced
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 70ml water
For the glaze (optional):
- A few tablespoon of icing sugar
- A few teaspoons of plant milk
- Toasted pecans
- In a large bowl combine the 420g plain flour, yeast, 40g sugar and salt. In a large jug combine the 160ml plant milk and rapeseed oil and set aside.
- Add 40g of plain flour and 180ml plant milk to a non-stick saucepan and heat over low heat whilst continuously stirring until the mix begins to become thick and sticky, then remove from the heat.
- Create a well in the bowl with the dry ingredients and pour the contents of the jug inside. Roughly combine and slowly add in the heated sticky flour mix. Combine all ingredients with a wooden spatula and knead the dough on a lightly floured surface until soft & smooth.
- Place the dough ball into a greased bowl and cover with a damp kitchen towel. Set into a warm place and leave to rise for 1 hr.
- In the meantime, peel and dice the apples and place them in a saucepan alongside with the cinnamon, water & 50g sugar. Bring to a simmer until the apples have softened. Transfer to a blender & blend until smooth, then pour the mix back into the saucepan over low heat to allow for the mix to thicken.
- After an hour, gently knead the dough for 1 minute before rolling it out to 0.5-1cm thickness. Spread the apple cinnamon paste on top, then use a sharp knife to cut into strips. Carefully roll up each strip and place them upright onto a lined baking tray. Cover again for 45 minutes and preheat the oven to 190C in the meantime.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the buns turn lightly golden. Allow for the buns to cool for 30 minutes before removing them from the tray. Combine a little icing sugar with a little plant milk and stir it up until you get a thick but smooth paste. Drizzle on top of the buns, sprinkle over a few toasted pecans and allow to set for about an hour. Enjoy right away or keep in an airtight container for up to 5 days.
If you’re topping your buns with nuts, such as the pecans I’ve used on this occasion, they taste best toasted. Simply pop them in your oven at 160C for a few minutes. Stay close by as they can easily burn! Alternatively you can also toast them on the stove in a non-stick frying pan over low/medium heat.
Alternatively to rapeseed oil you can also use melted extra virgin coconut oil.
If you want your buns to be nice and shiny, you can brush them with a vegan ‘egg’ wash made from 1 part maple syrup, 1 part plant milk.
For an extra crunch, add some chopped nuts onto your apple cinnamon paste!
Keywords: apple cinnamon buns recipe, cinnamon buns recipe, vegan cinnamon buns, vegan apple cinnamon buns, cinnamon buns, vegan bakes, vegan baking