This warming Chocolate Orange Porridge recipe is wonderful enjoyed in the morning and it reminds me of jaffa cake flavours – I also call it the ‘taste of Christmas’.
At least that’s what the general perception seems to be in the UK. Back in Germany, where I grew up, there’s not much fuss around the chocolate orange flavour combination (apart from commercially produced Jaffa cakes in stores), which probably explains why it’s taken me so long to find my love for it. And now here we are: my own chocolate orange porridge recipe on the blog that I really hope you enjoy just as much as me.
It’s actually been the Chocolate & Orange bar by Pure Heavenly Chocolates that put me on the band waggon, and I’ve honestly been addicted since. So it’s to no surprise that the combination has made it onto my breakfast table!
I love being creative with my porridge flavours – and if you’re following my Instagram stories, you probably know that I regularly like to blend fruit purees and more into my porridge to give it that extra something.
For this Chocolate Orange Porridge, I’ve actually used freshly squeezed juice of one orange – and added the chocolate flavour with a spoonful of vegan chocolate protein powder. I’ve used the Free Soul chocolate protein, cause it’s simply fantastic and makes everything taste like an absolute treat, whilst also carrying added superfoods. Of course, you can also create this bowl without this particular chocolate protein – simply replace the spoonful with cacao powder and you’re ready to go!
What you need to make Chocolate Orange Porridge
- porridge oats (use gluten-free if you want!)
- vegan chocolate flavoured protein powder
- plant-based milk
- fresh orange juice
- dairy-free chocolate
- nut butter (I love the Pip & Nut Chocolate & Orange Almond Butter with this recipe!)
- banana slices
- crushed almonds
How to make chocolate orange porridge
The recipe instructions for this recipe are pretty straight-forward. We’re starting by adding the porridge oats to a small saucepan over a low/medium heat and combine it with the protein powder – or cocoa powder if using.
Pour in your filtered water and stir to combine for about a minute until your oats are slowly beginning to thicken and soak up the liquid. Once the texture is becoming thicker, stir in your plant-based milk in small batches until you get an overall creamy texture to your liking.
Remove the porridge from the heat and stir in the freshly squeeze orange juice – by doing this after the cooking process, we ensure to keep more nutrients from the fresh orange juice. Stir everything together until well combined, then serve your porridge in a bowl and add your favourite toppings.
Of course, this recipe is delicious without any toppings as well, however, I’m personally all about toppings on porridge! Banana, nut butter, dark chocolate and crushed nuts are some of my favourites, but feel free to go all out with what makes you happy!
Simple swaps for this recipe
Oats: you can very easily go gluten-free with this recipe by switching out the oats for gluten-free oats.
Protein powder: I love adding a little bit of protein powder to this recipe – it adds a delicious portion of protein to the porridge, which makes it a little more nutritionally rounded. If you don’t have chocolate flavoured protein, simply add a neutral flavour protein alongside a teaspoon of cocoa powder. If you’re skipping the protein powder altogether, then just add a teaspoon of cocoa powder for the chocolate-y flavour.
This recipe is:
- 100% vegan
- gluten-free option
- super creamy
- reminding me of jaffa cake
- wonderful in the Christmas season
- simple and easy to makePrint
Seasonal porridge flavours galore with this deliciously creamy chocolate & orange porridge! Simple and easy to make for a warming morning feast.Scale
- 70g porridge oats (use gluten-free if you want!)
- 1 tbsp vegan chocolate protein (I used Free Soul) or cacao powder
- 70ml filtered water
- roughly 40ml plant-based milk
- juice of 1 medium-sized orange
- Add the porridge oats to a small saucepan over medium heat and stir in the protein powder (or cacao powder).
- Pour in the filtered water and stir for about 1.5 minutes, or until the oats begin to slowly soak up the liquid.
- Once the porridge starts to become thicker, add in the plant-based milk in small batches until you receive a creamy texture overall.
- Remove the porridge from the heat and stir in the freshly squeezed orange juice.
- Transfer to a bowl and add your favourite toppings. I love sliced banana, Pip & Nut Chocolate & Orange Almond Butter (yum!), crushed almonds, and a piece of Pure Heavenly Orange Chocolate.
Of course, you can adapt the toppings to your liking – the above-mentioned ones are just some of my favourites, and I think they go oh-so-well with the whole Chocolate/Orange theme.
For simple swaps have a look at the comments above.
Keywords: vegan porridge recipe, chocolate orange porridge, jaffa cake porridge, porridge recipe
Also try out these other breakfast recipes:
Have you re-created this bowl? Don’t forget to tag me @romylondonuk #romylondonuk