Delicious and simple vegan eggnog porridge - the perfect breakfast for the Christmas season and made without alcohol of course. 😉
I've loved getting onto the vegan eggnog train during Christmas season - I'm simply obsessed with the creamy texture and festive flavours.
If you love the flavour of eggnog just as much, but want to enjoy it without alcohol, then try out "Rum-ish" which is an alcohol free version of rum - and tastes incredibly similar! I've used it in my vegan oat milk eggnog recipe and added a small amount to this Vegan Eggnog Porridge before. And it was a dream!
The creamy base for this Vegan Eggnog Porridge
If you've ever tried eggnog, you probably remember the super thick and creamy texture - and that's exactly what I've tried to replicate in this vegan porridge recipe. I don't know about you - but I love my porridge extra creamy. So if you're on the same side, this porridge recipe is right up your street!
There are three elements on this recipe that create the creaminess of this porridge:
- the oats
- the oat milk
As a porridge lover (which you probably are if you're reading this recipe, ha!) you probably know that oats + liquid easily creates a gloopy, but creamy texture, so using proper porridge oats are number 1 that makes this porridge super creamy. I addition with oat milk, it's just the double whammy oat power you're getting here!
And if you're gluten free - don't worry, simply swap your oats for the gluten-free version (works just as well!) and swap out the oat milk for almond or cashew (or simply your favourite!).
TOP TIP - How to get soft cashews quickly
You might know similar creamy recipes containing cashews, that might require soaking overnight (or for 4-6 hours) but I understand that 'ain't nobody got time fo dat' in the morning. So here's the quick version: Simply place the cashews into boiling water and leave them aside for 20 minutes. In the meantime you can take a shower, do some yoga or a meditation or braid your daughters hair. Simple!
The heat from the water will soften the cashews super quickly. This is a great trick to get soft cashews quickly without having to wait 4-6 hours before you can proceed with your recipe.
If you're worried about preserving the nutrients from your cashews, you can of course place them into water inside your fridge the night before and simply start with step 2 of the recipe.
This recipe is:
- easily made gluten free (simply swap out the oats!)
- super tasty
- super festive!
- alcohol free
Love seasonal porridge? Then definitely try my Pumpkin Spice Porridge - it's one of the most popular recipes from the blog and the perfect vegan autumn breakfast 😍
📌 If you love Pinterest you can pin any of the images to your boards!Print
Easy Vegan Eggnog Porridge recipe - without the booze of course! Topped with a delicious layer of cinnamon and maple syrup for sweetness. Simply dreamy and delicious!
- 40g porridge oats (make it gluten free if needed!)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground nutmeg
- 2 Tbsp raw cashews
- 1 pinch of vanilla powder
- a pinch of ground clove
- 1 Tbsp maple syrup
- 200ml plant milk
- Place the raw cashews in a bowl and cover with boiling water. Set aside for 20 minutes, then drain and rinse.
- Into a medium size sauce pan add the oats, cinnamon and nutmeg, stir to combine and set aside.
- In a high-speed blender combine the cashews, vanilla powder, ground clove, maple syrup and plant milk until smooth.
- Pour the liquid into the saucepan with the oats - ideally filtering through a tight sieve. You can of course omit the sieve if you don't mind having small bits of cashew nut in your porridge (might give it a great texture!)
- Heat on low/medium heat and stir continuously until the porridge thickens. If it gets too dry, simply add a little more plant milk at a time.
- (Optional) Serve topped with more cinnamon & a little maple syrup & enjoy!
The ideal plant milk to use in this recipe is oat milk (I love Oatly!), but if you prefer gluten-free, you can simply swap it for your favourite plant milk. I would recommend almond or cashew, but others are also welcome (they might just change the taste of this recipe a little more!)
Keywords: vegan porridge, eggnog porridge, vegan eggnog, vegan eggnog porridge, vegan recipe
Looking for more festive ideas? Check out my section for Holiday Recipes!