Warming Chocolate Orange Porridge – also called the taste of Christmas!
At least that’s what the general perception seems to be in the UK. Back in Germany, where I grew up, there’s not much fuss around the chocolate orange flavour combination (apart from commercially produced Jaffa cakes in stores), which probably explains why it’s taken me so long to find my love for it.
It’s actually been the Chocolate & Orange bar by Pure Heavenly Chocolates that put me on the band waggon, and I’ve honestly been addicted since. So it’s to no surprise that the combination has made it onto my breakfast table!
I love being creative with my porridge flavours – and if you’re following my Instagram stories, you probably know that I regularly like to blend fruit purees and more into my porridge to give it that extra something.
For this Chocolate Orange Porridge I’ve actually used freshly squeezed juice of one orange – and added the chocolate flavour with a spoonful of vegan chocolate protein powder. I’ve used the Free Soul chocolate protein, cause it’s simply fantastic and makes everything taste like an absolute treat, whilst also carrying added superfoods. Of course you can also create this bowl without this particular chocolate protein – simply replace the spoonful with cacao powder and you’re ready to go!
Chocolate Orange Porridge
- 70g porridge oats (use gluten free if you want!)
- 1 Tbsp Chocolate Protein (I used Free Soul) or cacao powder
- 70ml filtered water
- Roughly 40ml plant based milk
- Juice of 1 medium sized orange
- Add the porridge oats to a small saucepan over medium heat and stir in the protein powder (or cacao powder).
- Pour in the filtered water and stir for about 1.5 minutes, or until the oats begin to slowly soak up the liquid.
- Once the porridge starts to become thicker, add in the plant based milk in small batches until you receive a creamy texture overall.
- Remove the porridge from the heat and stir in the freshly squeezed orange juice.
- Transfer to a bowl and add your favourite toppings. I love sliced banana, Pip & Nut Chocolate & Orange Almond Butter (yum!), crushed almonds and a piece of Pure Heavenly Orange Chocolate.
Of course you can adapt the toppings to your liking – the above mentioned ones are just some of my favourites, and I think they go oh-so-well with the whole Chocolate/Orange theme.
Have you re-created this bowl? Don’t forget to tag me @romylondonuk #romylondonuk