Wonderfully easy Vegan Mushroom Puff Pie Recipe - A hearty winter-warmer made with Oumph!, mushrooms, vegetable stock, butter, and topped with delightful vegan puff pastry!
Vegan Mushroom Puff Pie
I originally created this recipe as a part of a series of Vegan Christmas Day Recipes but this Vegan Mushroom Puff Pie Recipe is perfect for any festive celebration, whether it's Christmas, Easter, or Thanksgiving!
I can still remember when I first cooked this, I was super excited about Christmas and had spent the whole day listening to Christmas music whilst cooking!
I had been meaning to create vegan pie recipes for ages and I finally got around to purchasing some pie dishes, so that could make that plan reality (Thanks Lakeland!).
For this mushroom pie I have used ready-rolled puff pastry - but of course, feel free to create it from scratch if you're up for it!
To create a great chewy texture in this dish I have used 'The Chunk' by Oumph! (available at Tesco, Whole Foods Market, As Nature Intended, and independents around the UK). I think the unflavoured chunky pieces are the perfect addition to this pie as they basically let you add your own flavoring and they add an amazing texture to virtually everything (I even made sushi burritos with The Chunk earlier this year!)
I wanted the filling of this pie to be creamy and as I love mushrooms in savory vegan recipes, they simply had to be included. You could probably compare my Vegan Mushroom Puff Pie Recipe to a traditional Chicken & Leek Pie - just made with more compassion 😉
- Oumph! The Chunk
- Vegan butter
- Plain flour
- Vegetable stock
- Almond or oat milk
- Button mushrooms
- Black pepper
- Ready-made puff pastry
How to make your vegan filling
To begin with, melt butter in a large, non-stick frying pan and add your sliced onion,1 crushed clove of garlic, and the bag of Oumph! Fry everything together until the Oumph! is lightly browned and the onions start to turn golden.
Next, stir in 2 Tbsp of plain flour for approximately 1 minute before turning the heat off and adding 400ml of vegetable stock and 200ml of your soy or oat milk.
Give the mix a really good stir with a fork or a whisk and then add your mushrooms and sprigs of thyme before bringing it back to the boil and letting the mushroom mixture simmer for 20 minutes.
Getting oven ready
To start with, preheat the oven to 220ºC/fan or 200ºC/gas.
While the oven is heating up, unroll your pastry sheet on a lightly floured surface, gently place your pie dish upside down on the pastry and cut around the edges using a small sharp knife.
Once cooked, take the thyme sprigs out of your pan, add the black pepper, and stir. Then carefully take your filling and transfer it from your frying pan to your pie dish before placing the pastry sheet on top.
Extra Tip: I find the best way to do this is to hold the sheet in one hand carefully cover the pie dish from one edge to the next.
Now you're nearly ready to put it in the oven, you've just got to use a fork to press the edges of the pastry sheet to the edges of the dish and cut 2-3 small slits in the top - this will make sure it doesn't explode in your oven!
Finally, lightly brush melted vegan butter on the pastry and put it in the oven for 30 minutes - or until the pastry has risen and turned golden.
All you need to do now is enjoy!
This recipe is:
- 100% vegan
- warm and hearty
- perfect for winter
- simply delicious
- easy to make
- a great festive dish!
More Recipes for You ❤️
📌 If you love Pinterest you can pin any of the images to your boards!Print
Wonderfully easy Vegan Mushroom Puff Pie Recipe - A hearty winter-warmer made with Oumph!, mushrooms, vegetable stock, butter and topped with delightful vegan puff pastry!
- 280g Oumph! The Chunk (available from Tesco)
- 1 Tbsp Vegan butter
- 1 Onion, sliced
- 1 Garlic clove, minced
- 2 Tbsp Plain flour
- 400ml Vegetable stock
- 200ml Almond or oat milk
- 250g Button mushrooms, washed
- Handful of thyme sprigs
- 1 tsp Freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 Roll of ready-made puff pastry
- A little melted vegan butter to brush
- Melt 1 Tbsp of vegan butter in a large, non-stick frying pan.
- Add in a sliced onion and 1 crushed garlic clove, then add in the 280g of Oumph! The Chunk. Fry everything until the onions turn golden and the Oumph! is starting to lightly brown around the edges, turn occasionally.
- Sprinkle 2 Tbsp of plain flour into the pan and stir for roughly 1 minute.
- Take the pan off the heat and stir in 400ml Vegetable stock, followed by 200ml of almond or oat milk.
- Stir well with a whisk or fork, then tip in the button mushrooms & thyme sprigs. Bring everything to the boil and let it simmer for around 20 minutes.
- Heat your oven to 220C/fan 200C/gas.
- Unroll your pastry sheet on a lightly floured surface, gently place your pie dish upside down on the pastry and use a small sharp knife to cut around the edges of the pie dish to get a fitting pastry size.
- Once ready cooked, remove the thyme sprigs from your pan, add the black pepper and stir. Then gently transfer the contents of the pan into the pie dish.
- Top with the pastry sheet – ideally hold it in one hand and then start covering the pie dish from one edge to the other.
- Use a fork to press the pastry to the edges of the dish and cut 2-3 small slits into the top of the pastry.
- Brush the pastry with a little melted vegan butter and place the pie in the oven for 30 mins or until the pastry is risen and golden brown.
Keywords: lunch, dinner, vegan meat replacements, pie
If you enjoyed baking this Vegan Mushroom Puff Pie Recipe then here are a few others that I'm sure you'll love:
- Stuffed Butternut Squash & Curried Barley Recipe
- Kale and Borlotti Bean Soup
- Roasted Pumpkin Red Lentil Dhal Recipe
© Romy London / Romina Callwitz | All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images and content without permission. If you wish to re-publish any recipes or images, please get in touch via email. Thanks for your support!