This hearty Kale and Borlotti Bean Soup will warm your soul even on the coldest of days! Created with seasonal veg and comforting flavors.
After all, it's the season for all the hearty, comfort meals - and what better way to enjoy the season than with a warming hug in a bowl?
What you will love about this recipe:
- it's 100% vegan & plant based
- it's warming and comforting
- it's a hearty meal!
- it's perfect for cold autumn & winter days
- it's seasonal
- it's healthy!
Soup used to be the last thing on my 'yum' list back in my childhood days. It felt a bit repetitive, having the same old soups every time. But fast forward to today, and soups have become my go-to comfort food during chilly days! The kitchen has turned into my soup lab, experimenting with different ingredients and flavors.
Nowadays, I can't get enough of hearty, vegetable-packed soups, especially when the weather turns frosty. Take this Kale and Borlotti Bean Soup, for instance—it's a delightful blend of seasonal vegetables and cozy aromas, perfect for those crisp days.
🌱 Soup Ingredients & Notes
This soup is loaded with flavour and hearty vegetables. Here's everything you need to add to your shopping list:
- Canned Borlotti Beans - drained and rinsed, I used tinned borlotti beans from Mr Organic. Borlotti beans are creamy and flavorful legumes and a great source of plant protein!
- Aromatics - onion and garlic create a savory and aromatic soup base.
- Vegetables - celery and carrots add earthy notes, natural sweetness and a vibrant color to the soup.
- Chilli paste or flakes - for a hint of heat.
- Tomato puree - for flavor depth and richness
- Chopped tomatoes - adds tanginess and texture, add tinned or freshly chopped tomatoes.
- Bay leaves - for a subtle herbal aroma, and to balance the tartness of the tomatoes
- Vegetable stock - provides a flavorful base for the soup
- Cavolo nero (black kale) - adds a hearty texture and earthy flavor
To make this recipe, you will need the following items in your kitchen:
- cutting board
- a large knife
- vegetable peeler
- large saucepan
👨🍳 Step-by-Step Instructions
Making this soup recipe at home is fairly straight forward. All you need to do is follow these simple steps:
Step 1 - Sauté onion in oil until translucent for enhanced flavor.
Step 2 - Add garlic and sauté for 1 minute over medium heat.
Step 3 - Stir in chilli paste and tomato puree, combine well.
Step 4 - Add borlotti beans and chopped vegetables, coat with the mixture.
Step 5 - Pour in chopped tomatoes, bay leaves, and vegetable stock.
Step 6 - Bring to a boil, then simmer covered for 25-30 minutes.
Step 7 - Add chopped black kale for the last 2 minutes of simmering.
Step 8 - Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Step 9 - Don't forget to remove the bay leaves before serving!
To serve this hearty Kale and Borlotti Bean Soup, ladle it into warm bowls and accompany it with crusty bread, a sprinkle of freshly chopped herbs like parsley or basil, or a dollop of vegan yogurt for added creaminess.
For an extra kick, a dash of hot sauce or a drizzle of olive oil complements the soup beautifully. Pair it with a side salad or some roasted vegetables for a wholesome and satisfying meal!
To store the Kale and Borlotti Bean Soup, allow it to cool completely before transferring it to an airtight container. Refrigerate the soup for up to 4 days, or you can freeze it in portions for up to 3 months. When reheating, gently warm it on the stovetop or in the microwave, adjusting seasoning if needed. Remember to remove bay leaves before storing or freezing.
You might also enjoy these soup recipes:
📌 If you love Pinterest you can pin any of the images to your boards!Print
Get cozy with this Kale and Borlotti Bean Soup, a heartwarming delight that'll brighten up even the chilliest days. Loaded with seasonal veggies and rich, comforting flavors, it's the perfect pick-me-up!
- 2 tins borlotti beans, drained (480g drained weight)
- 1 medium-size onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed or minced
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled & thinly sliced
- 1 tsp chilli paste or 1/2 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes (400g)
- 2 bay leaves
- 600ml vegetable stock
- 1-2 handfuls of cavolo nero (black kale), roughly chopped & stems removed
- salt & pepper to taste
- Heat the rapeseed oil in a large saucepan and add the chopped onion to sauté for 2 minutes, before adding in the crushed garlic.
- Stir in the chilli paste and tomato puree, then add all the chopped vegetables and borlotti beans and stir through for a minute to combine with the paste.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, bay leaves and vegetable stock and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to a minimum and allow to simmer with a closed lid for 25-30 minutes. Add in the chopped black kale for the last 2 minutes of the cooking time.
- Season to taste with salt & pepper and remove the bay leaves before serving.
- Freezer-friendly - Freezes well in airtight containers after cooling.
- Extra flavor boost - Enhance the flavor with a spoonful of ketchup or marmite for an extra kick!
Keywords: winter soups, seasonal soup, autumn soup, kale and borlotti bean soup, kale soup, vegan soup recipe
Looking for more soup recipes? Give these a go:
© Romy London / Romina Callwitz | All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images and content without permission. If you wish to re-publish any recipes or images, please get in touch via email. Thanks for your support!