Easy Vegan Orzo Soup - this super easy to make orzo soup perfectly filling and full of flavour!
I'm a firm believer that soups can be anything but boring when done right and I love to experiment with all types of flavour combinations and delicious soup additions to prove this point! For this Easy Vegan Orzo Soup Recipe I've added a range of wholesome ingredients, including chickpeas, celery, flavoursome tomatoes and as the name already suggests: added Orzo!
Personally, I think pasta is a delicious addition to almost any soup and it's definitely a good fit for tomato soup also to add that extra bit of texture and make a portion of hearty soup even more filling. To make things a little more special, the type of orzo I've used for this particular recipe is a gluten free alternative, also called 'green pea rice'. It's naturally gluten free, with only one ingredient on the list and really high in protein too. It also cooks easily and holds its texture just perfectly for use in soup - but feel free to swap out this particular pasta for regular orzo in this recipe - I tried both and it's blummin' delicious!
What you'll need to make this Easy Vegan Orzo Soup
- Olive oil
- White onion
- Tomato puree
- Tinned chopped tomatoes
- Tin of chickpeas
- Gluten-free green pea orzo (or regular whole wheat orzo)
- Vegetable stock
- Vegan friendly basil pesto
- 1 large saucepan
How to make this Easy Vegan Orzo Soup
Start by heating a tablespoon of oil on medium/high heat. Once your oil is hot, add the onion and celery and cook for 10 minutes before adding your garlic to the pan and cooking for another minute.
Next, stir in your tomato puree, chopped tomatoes, chickpeas and green pea rice. Turn up the heat and when it starts boiling, turn it down to a medium/low heat and simmer for 6-8 minutes.
You're nearly done, all you need to do now is add another tablespoon of oil and drizzle the rest of your pesto over the soup.
Once it's ready, serve in a bowl alongside some delicious crusty bread. Enjoy!
This recipe is:
- 100% vegan
- dairy free
- egg free
- gluten free
- wonderfully warm
- perfect for lunch or dinner
- super easy to make
Vegan Orzo Soup
- 1 large saucepan
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 brown onion chopped
- 2 celery sticks chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 can chopped tomatoes (400 g)
- 1 can cooked chickpeas (240g - drained weight) drained
- 150 g orzo pasta
- 700 ml vegetable stock
- 2 tbsp vegan basil pesto
- Heat 1 Tbsp oil on medium/high heat. Add the onion and celery cook for 10 minutes. Drop the garlic to the pan and cook it for 1 extra minute.
- Stir in the tomato puree, chopped tomatoes, chickpeas and green pea rice. Increase the temperature and once it is boiling turn it down to a medium/low heat and simmer for 6-8 minutes.
- Add the remaining 1 tbsp oil and drizzle the pesto over the soup.
- Serve it with crusty bread on the side.
Looking for more delicious vegan dinner recipes? Why not try some of these:
💭 Leave a Comment