If you love kale crisps, then these deliciously crunchy Airfryer Kale Chips with Cheese and Onion (Vegan) are for you!
I really feel like I’m “kale’ing” it with this delicious vegan cheese and onion kale chips recipe – pun intended! 😜
I’ve always wondered how people can sarcastically say that kale is the ‘healthy thing everyone should eat, but nobody likes’ – because I genuinely love this green goodness food! Whether it’s a kale caesar salad or delicious kale chips, I’m totally obsessed and these vegan cheese and onion kale chips are one of my favourite ways to enjoy kale.
These vegan cheese & onion kale chips are seriously easy to make – so there’s no excuses! No fancy equipment needed (you can use the oven if you don’t have an airfryer!) and you can easily get all the ingredients from a well-stocked supermarket – or order them online!.
What you’ll need to make Airfryer Kale Chips with Cheese and Onion (Vegan)
- Airfryer (but you can there is a way to use an oven as well!)
How to make Airfryer Kale Chips with Cheese and Onion (Vegan)
To start with you’ll want to get your airfryer nice and hot so preheat it to 160ºC (320ºF).
Meanwhile, wash and de-stem your kale leaves before ripping them up into bite-size chunks with your hands and placing it into a large bowl. Next, take 1 Tbsp of extra virgin olive oil and drizzle it over the kale, followed by flakes of nutritional yeast, onion powder and a pinch of salt.
Now, using a large spoon (or your hands!) mix everything together to ensure that the kale is ovenly coated with your seasoning. When it’s seasoned, place the kale in your airfryer for about 8-12 minutes and keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn’t burn.
Once it’s cooked and crunchy, serve right away or keep in an airtight container to esnure your kale chips keep their crunch!
How to oven bake these vegan cheese & onion kale chips
Before I used an airfryer, I often used my oven to make kale chips and it worked just as well! Here’s how you can make these in your oven:
- Keep the oven at low heat, I usually use 70º–80ºC (176ºF). It doesn’t make them ‘raw’ (below 42ºC), but it speeds up the cooking process as I don’t like to wait 4 hours for my kale chips 😉
- Make sure the kale chips are placed on a greased baking tray in a single layer.
- During the cooking process, keep the oven door open a few centimetres. I find it’s best to stick a wooden spoon in the door to keep it slightly open. This will ensure that the moisture from the kale can evaporate and the kale chips will become nice and crunchy.
- Keep a close eye on the kale chips as they can easily burn and be sure to flip them regularly during the baking process.
- They should only need 15-20 minutes to begin with, but you’ll probably want to flip and cook them for a bit longer to make sure they crisp up evenly.
- Enjoy your baked kale chips!
This recipe is:
- dairy free
- egg free
- full of plant power
- naturally gluten free
- extra cheesy
- perfectly crunchy
- filling that snack craving!
These delicious Airfryer Kale Chips with Cheese and Onion (Vegan) are my absolute go-to when it comes to healthy, vegan snacks! So easy to prepare and all you need is an oven!
- Preheat your airfryer to 160ºC (320ºF).
- Wash and de-stem your fresh kale, then rip it into bite size chunks with your hands and place it into a large bowl.
- Drizzle 1 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil onto the kale, followed by the nutritional yeast flakes, onion powder and a sprinkle of salt.
- Mix using a large spoon or your hands to ensure the kale is evenly coated.
- Once it’s ready, place the kale in your airfryer for about 8-12 minutes and be sure to check on it to make sure it doesn’t burn.
- Enjoy right away or keep in an airtight container to keep them crunchy!
If you don’t have an airfryer, then you can also make these in the oven by placing the kale on a lined baking tray in a single layer and place it in a preheated oven (80ºC / 176ºF) for about 15-20 minutes to begin with.
Leave the oven door slightly open – best use a wooden spoon to keep the door a few centimetres open. Check back regularly to ensure it evenly crisps up and does not burn (this will happen quicker than you think!).
After 15-20 minutes turn the kale chips, so they can evenly crisp up.
Keywords: kale, vegan cheese and onion kale chips, kale chips, kale crisps, cheese & onion kale chips, cheese & onion kale crisps. vegan snacks, savoury snacks
Are you looking for more vegan finger foods and snacks? Then you’ll love these recipes: