Delicious, crunchy vegan apple crackers! Perfect alongside savoury dips, with a wonderful tart & lightly sweet flavour. Made in the oven.
Vegan Apple Crackers
Crazy & delicious! These deliciously crunchy & healthy crackers are perfect for dipping and simply addictive (speaking from experience here - they never last long in our household). So happy to finally share the recipe with you - whilst I've tested this recipe multiple times to perfect it, I had never taken any proper photos of them before, and I felt I wanted to do them justice before I share the full recipe.
I've served these alongside my ultimate vegan cheese sauce - it's an amazing combination!
What you'll need for these Vegan Apple Crackers
- Apples: I used Granny Smith apples for this recipe as their delicious tart and lightly sour flavour works perfectly for these crackers and adds a delicious sweet & sour flavour to them.
- flaxseeds: besides apples, flaxseeds are the base for these crackers. Use the milled variety, they'll take on any liquid of the cracker mix perfectly and create a wonderful crunch after baking.
- sriracha: I love a little tang in my crackers! Don't worry, they'll not turn out overly spicy, it just adds a little kick to the crackers. If you're very sensitive to spice, simply leave out the sriracha.
- sea salt & black pepper: simple seasoning for these crackers!
- fresh apple juice: Keep the juice from the apples after shredding! This comes in handy to add a little liquid back into the crackers and helps combine all ingredients.
- maple syrup: these crackers are mostly savoury, but the maple syrup perfectly balances out the tartness from the apples and works deliciously with the salt, pepper and sriracha.
- plain gluten free flour: To make sure my crackers hold together I use a small amount of gluten free flour. It'll help everything stick together and ensures that your crackers don't crumble. I usually use gluten-free buckwheat flour.
- Spicy Butter Bean Dip
- The Ultimate Vegan Cheese Sauce
- bowl & jug
- muslin cloth or clean dish towel
- non-stick baking mat or non-stick baking paper
How to make Vegan Apple Crackers
To make these deliciously simple crackers, first, prepare your apples: peel, de-core and roughly cut them. In the meantime, you can preheat your oven to 100C. Grate the apples using either a kitchen machine such as a Magimix or grate them manually by hand. We're looking for a fine grate for these apples.
Wrap the shreds in a muslin cloth or clean kitchen towel and squeeze firmly to get out as much liquid as possible. Place a bowl underneath to catch the apple juice for later use.
In a large bowl, combine the apple shreds in a bowl with the rest of the dough ingredients. For the apple juice, use a couple of tablespoons from the juice we've preserved in the previous step. Knead the dough with your hands, then roll it into a ball and set it aside for 5-10 minutes to rest.
Use 2 non-stick baking sheets on a baking tray and roll out the cracker dough in between until it's 1-2mm thick. If your baking tray or oven is not big enough, you might need to divide the cracker dough in two. Use a pizza cutter to gently pre-cut your cracker shapes. It'll make it easier to break them into shapes after baking.
Place the crackers in the pre-heated oven for 30-45 minutes at 100 degrees to dehydrate. If your oven allows, leave the oven door a crack open to let any moisture escape. Leave the crackers to cool down entirely before breaking them into their individual pieces.
Keep the crackers in an airtight container for up to 7 days and serve with a delicious homemade dip!
Variations for this recipe
Spices: You can get creative with your seasoning! Add your favourite dried herbs or spice mixes. How about some curry powder or a Mexican seasoning? Delicious! I'd stay away from any strong garlic flavours, however, as they don't compliment the tart apple flavour of the crackers.
Sriracha: The sriracha adds a little tang to these crackers, they won't be super spicy, but if you're very sensitive to spice - or simply don't have any sriracha or hot sauce to hand - you can simply omit this ingredient.
These crackers are:
- 100% vegan
- perfect for dipping
- tart & tangy
- savoury with a sweet touch
- using only natural ingredients
You might also enjoy these recipes:
📌 If you love Pinterest you can pin any of the images to your boards!
📖 Recipe Card
Homemade Apple Crackers
- 1 grater
- 1 large bowl
- 6 granny smith apples peeled and cored
- 120 g milled flaxseeds
- 6 tsp sriracha hot sauce
- 3/4 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 6 tbsp fresh apple juice
- 3 tsp maple syrup
- 7 tbsp gluten-free flour
- Spicy Butter Bean Dip
- Homemade Vegan Cheese Sauce
- Peel, de-core and roughly cut the apples. In the meantime preheat your oven to 100C.
- Grate the apples with a Magimix (fine) or with a manual grater by hand. Wrap the shredded apple in a muslin cloth or clean kitchen towel and, squeeze out as much apple juice as possible, whilst catching the juice in a bowl below.
- Combine the apple shreds in a bowl with the rest of the ingredients, using a few tablespoons of the leftover apple juice as liquid. Knead the dough with your hands, then roll it into a ball and set aside for 5-10 minutes.
- Gently roll out the cracker dough between 2 non-stick baking sheets to 1-2mm thickness (non-stick silicone sheet). Using a pizza cutter gently pre-cut your cracker shapes. It'll make it easier to break them into shapes after the baking process.
- Place the crackers in the oven for 30-45 minutes at 100 degrees to dehydrate. If your oven allows, leave the oven door a crack open to let any moisture escape.
- Leave the crackers to cool down entirely before breaking them into their individual pieces.
- Keep the crackers in an air tight container for up to 7 days and serve with a delicious homemade dip!
© 2024 Romy London / Romina Callwitz | All images, videos, wordings and content are copyright protected and belong to Romina Callwitz. Please do not use any of my content without prior permission. If you wish to re-publish any (part of my) content, please get in touch via email. Thanks for your support!