This vegan pistachio cake is as good as it looks! Full of nutty flavours from the pistachio kernels teamed up with zesty lemon and aromatic cardamom – topped with a thick and zesty lemon glaze – a true loaf cake dream come true!
- 250g plain flour
- 180g golden caster sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1⁄4 tsp fine sea salt
- 1⁄4 tsp vanilla powder
- 1⁄4 tsp cardamom powder
- 100g roughly ground pistachio kernels
- Water of 1 unsalted 400g-tin chickpeas (aquafaba), whipped into stiff peaks
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Zest of 1 unwaxed lemon
- 130 ml rapeseed oil
- 120 ml coconut yogurt
- 1 tbsp apple cider vinegar
For the glaze:
- powdered sugar
- lemon juice
- vanilla extract
- Start by preheating your oven to 180°C (356°F).
- In a large bowl combine the plain flour, golden caster sugar, baking powder, sea salt, vanilla powder, cardamom powder, and roughly ground pistachio kernels.
- In the meantime, whip up your aquafaba with an electric whisk until it forms stiff peaks, then combine the aquafaba with the lemon juice, zest, rapeseed oil, coconut yogurt and apple cider vinegar in a separate bowl.
- Slowly sprinkle the dry ingredients into the aquafaba mix and fold them in with a spatula until you get a smooth batter.
- Transfer the batter to a greased and lined loaf tin and bake at 180°C (356°F) in the middle of the oven for 30-35 minutes.
- Once a toothpick comes out clean, remove the pistachio loaf cake from the oven and set it aside to cool for at least 45 minutes before slicing.
Keywords: pistachio cake, vegan pistachio cake, lemon pistachio loaf, loaf cake, vegan cake, vegan lemon cake, lemon cardamom cake