Purely delicious vegan Egg McMuffin recipe – simple and easy steps to create this delicious McMuffin version at home!
- 2 English muffins
- 1 400g block of firm tofu, drained (14.1 oz)
- 1 tsp olive oil
- a pinch of black salt (kala namak)
- 2 slices of vegan cheese
- 2 slices vegan ham or bacon
- 1 tsp dairy-free spread
- pepper to taste
- tomato ketchup (optional)
- Drain and press the tofu block for a few minutes to reduce any excess liquid, then slice the block in half lengthwise. Use a round cookie cutter that’s roughly the same size as your English muffins and cut out one round tofu disc from each later. Set the leftover tofu aside for a different recipe.
- Add a splash of oil to a non-stick pan and sprinkle the Kala Namak into it, then add the slice of tofu to the pan once it’s sizzling hot. Fry the tofu slice on both sides until golden – make sure not to move it around to much. It can also help to press the slice into the pan with a ladle to make the edges nice and crispy! Season with a little pepper.
- Slice your muffin and lightly toast the slices in the pan, then spread the dairy-free spread on both of them.
- Let’s assemble! Add a little ketchup to the bottom (if using). Place the tofu on top, then let the vegan cheese melt onto the hot tofu – if needed place it under the grill for 1-2 minutes, or until the vegan cheese becomes melty. Add the vegan ham or bacon slices on top, then pour some more ketchup and place the top half of the muffin on top.
- Repeat for the second muffin, admire and serve immediately.
Ensure to use extra-firm tofu for this recipe – soft or silken tofu will not work out.
The ketchup is completely optional, it’s not part of the original McDonalds recipe, but I personally find it’s a dollop of the red goodness is a delicious addition!
If you’re using vegan bacon slices, you might have to give them a little fry before adding them to the muffin, depending on the brand/variety you use.
This breakfast muffin is also great cold, however, for best results, it’s ideally served warm/hot.
- Serving Size: 1 McMuffin
- Calories: 412
- Sugar: 2.8
- Sodium: 398.5mg
- Fat: 17.5
- Saturated Fat: 3.5
- Unsaturated Fat: 14
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 35.6
- Fiber: 2.9
- Protein: 27.7
- Cholesterol: 9.4mg
Keywords: vegan mcdonalds, egg mcmuffin, vegan breakfast, vegan egg mcmuffin recipe