Delicious & Easy Vegan Apple Nut Roast - the perfect showstopper for your plant based Christmas meal and filled with all the plant goodness!
This recipe is:
- naturally gluten free
- deliciously nutty
- savoury with a sweet note
- perfect for your Christmas dinner
- delicious alongside vegetable gravy and cranberry sauce
- definitely more-ish!
If you're looking to serve something delicious for your plant-based guests at Christmas dinner, this Easy Vegan Apple Nut Roast is what you're looking for.
The days are getting darker and that can only mean one thing: Christmas is just around the corner!
Christmas has always been one of those days during the year that being vegan was hardest, when I first went vegan. Mostly as I was celebrating around a bunch of non-vegans and the Christmas party hosts have already started months in advance with asking me about what they could make. It's been a regular difficulty in my family trying to please everyone for the Christmas dinner, and probably one of the main stressers for my mum and aunt who are our regular hosts for Christmas Eve (yes we celebrate on Christmas Eve!). And I can't blame them - catering for 14 fussy eaters is not easy after all 😉
Nut roast might be the stereo-typical vegan Christmas dinner addition - but I love a good cliché (& a good nut roast!) and I love adding interesting and unexpected ingredients to my nut roasts to 'jazz them up' a bit. Like apple on this occasion! The apples & cranberries add a delicious sweet note to the roast and the tartness from the apples works a treat in combination with all the nutty & savoury flavours.
Here's everything you need for this nut roast:
- Vegetables - celery & carrots
- Apples - I usually go with Boskoop apples
- Cranberries - I used dried cranberries
- Onion & Garlic
- Seasoning - garlic powder and vegetable stock
- Nuts - pecans, hazelnuts and walnuts
- Lemon juice
- Nut butter - I used smooth cashew butter
For the toppings (optional)
- cranberry sauce
- almond flakes
Here's how you can create this delicious apple nut roast:
- Prepare all your ingredients and preheat your oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Add all the nuts to a food processor with the vegetable stock cube and pulse until the nuts are roughly ground, but still have some chunky bits and combined with the stock cube.
- Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl
- Add the nut butter and lemon juice and combine everything with a spatula.
- Transfer to a loaf tin - best line it to make for an easy removal later on. Pack it tightly and press it down evenly with a spatula.
- Roast in the middle of your oven for 20-25 minutes. Remove from the oven and let it sit for 5 minutes before carefully removing it from your loaf tin.
- Serve on it's own or top with vegan cranberry sauce and some almond flakes for a little extra crunch.
Here are a few tips to make this recipe even easier for you!
- Nut butter - As you will see from the ingredient list, the majority of ingredients used in this recipe is dry - to hold everything in one piece, I like to use nut butter (perfectly matches with the nutty flavours!) and a little lemon juice to incorporate, which also adds the perfect amount of acidity to the nut roast.
- Chunky - Of course you can keep your nut roast chunky, but bear in mind: The chunkier your nuts, the harder it is for the nut roast to stay in one piece when slicing later - so I would recommend to almost finely chop the nuts in a food processor.
- No food processor? No problem! Simply chop your nuts by hand. This will of course take a little longer than a food processor, nut works just as well!
If you're still looking for the perfect vegan appetizer to serve at your Christmas or Thanksgiving meal, try this pumpkin cheese ball!
📌 If you love Pinterest you can pin any of the images to your boards!
Vegan Apple Nut Roast
- 1 baking loaf tin
- 3 large celery stalks chopped
- 2 carrots finely chopped
- 2 apples peeled and cores removed
- 100 g dried cranberries
- 1 red onion finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 100 g pecan nuts
- 50 g hazelnuts
- 150 g walnuts
- 1 tsbp lemon juice
- 3 tbsp cashew nut butter
For the topping:
- cranberry sauce
- almond flakes
- Start by preparing and chopping all your ingredients as per the ingredient's list and pre-heat your oven to 190C.
- Add the nuts (pecans, walnuts and hazelnuts) to your food processor alongside the vegetable stock cube and pulse until the nuts are roughly ground and combined with the stock cube. Feel free to leave a few bigger chunks for a nice texture of your nut roast.
- In a large bowl combine the nuts with the rest of the chopped ingredients.
- Add in the nut butter and lemon juice and use a spatula to combine all your nut roast ingredients.
- Transfer everything to a large loaf tin and use a spatula or the back of a spoon to firmly press the roast into the tin. For ease, you can fill nonstick baking parchment into your loaf tin - it'll make it easier to remove the roast later on.
- Bake in the middle of your oven at 190C for 20-25 minutes. Remove from the oven and let it sit for 5 minutes before carefully removing it from your loaf tin.
- Serve on it's own or topped with cranberry sauce & almond flakes.
- No cashew butter to hand? No worries, you can simply swap it out for almond or walnut butter, just ensure to use the unsweetened version.
Looking for more festive foods? Check out the section for my Holiday Recipes!
© Romy London / Romina Callwitz | All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images and content without permission. If you wish to re-publish any recipes or images, please get in touch via email. Thanks for your support!