Deliciously simple basic vegan protein pancakes recipe – made entirely without flour! Created with a base of vegan protein powder, flaxseeds and dairy-free yoghurt, these are a great high-protein vegan breakfast option.
- 50g protein powder (1/3 cup)
- 30 g ground flaxseeds (1/3 cup)
- 85 ml plant-based milk (1/3 cup)
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 100 g dairy-free plain yoghurt (1/3 cup)
- a little coconut oil to grease the pan (optional – depends on your pan)
- In a medium-size mixing bowl, combine the protein powder, flaxseeds, and baking soda. Create a well in the middle and pour in the plant-based milk and dairy-free yoghurt, then combine everything with a spoon or spatula.
- Let the pancake batter rest for 10 minutes, then give it another stir – if it’s a little dry, add 1 or 2 tablespoons of plant milk. Use 2 two spoons to add portion-sized pancakes into a hot non-stick pan – depending on your pan, you might need to add a little oil to grease it, I recommend using coconut oil. Use the spoons to gently shape the pancakes.
- Flip after 3-4 minutes or when the bottom of the pancake is lightly browning. These usually need 3-4 minutes on low heat on the first side, then another 2-3 on the second, but the time might slightly differ depending on your pan and stovetop settings (I use a gas stovetop).
- Assemble on a plate and add your favourite toppings – I love a good dollop of vegan yoghurt, fresh fruit and some granola or nuts and seeds for an extra crunch.
Use a non-stick pan for these pancakes as they can otherwise get stuck to the pan and be difficult to flip. I use a non-stick pan from Teflon that’s specifically made for crepes and pancakes and they turn our perfectly each time when I use this pan. They’re not expensive either, so worth investing in!
You can use flavoured protein powder in this recipe, I personally like to stick to either plain or vanilla flavoured powders and then add more flavours into the dish through the toppings.
If you want to keep your toppings high-protein too, I can recommend mixing a little protein powder with yoghurt. It creates a thick, buttercream-like texture and it’s wonderful to use on pancakes or in between them when creating a stack.
Other great toppings with these are: stewed berries, banana, nuts and seeds, granola, nut butters, flavoured or plain yoghurt, a drizzle of maple or agave syrup, cacao nibs or dairy-free chocolate spread.
- Serving Size: 1
- Calories: 449 cal
- Sugar: 5g
- Sodium: 605mg
- Fat: 19.2g
- Saturated Fat: 3.8g
- Unsaturated Fat: 15.4g
- Trans Fat: 0g
- Carbohydrates: 27.7g
- Fiber: 8.2g
- Protein: 44.1g
- Cholesterol: 19mg
Keywords: protein pancakes, protein pancakes recipe, vegan pancakes recipe, vegan protein pancakes recipe, Basic Vegan Protein Pancakes Recipe (Without Flour)