Super easy & squidgy Flourless Vegan Protein Bread Recipe - plant-based, gluten-free & high in protein!
Vegan Protein Bread
Flourless recipes are simply delicious - creating deliciously squidgy bakes! They're also amazing for when you're eating low carb, are trying to add more protein to your diet in easy ways or are simply out of flour. In current times the latter has sadly been the case more often, so this Flourless Vegan Protein Bread Recipe has come in really handy!
The base for these Flourless Vegan Protein Bread Recipe
As you can probably tell from the title of this recipe, there's no flour in this sweet bread! Magic, right?
For the base for my flourless vegan protein bread, I've instead used a mix of chickpeas, nut butter and protein powder, which gives a delicious combination and results in a wonderfully moist and juicy loaf. This sweet bread tastes delicious for breakfast or simply as a snack - either on its own or topped with your favourite nut butter, yoghurt & fruit.
What you'll need
Vegan Butter milk
For this recipe, I use vegan buttermilk that you can very easily make yourself by combining plant milk (I used soy) with apple cider vinegar. Gently stir and place the mix aside for at least 10 minutes to allow for the plant milk to curdle.
If you don't have Apple Cider Vinegar to hand, you can also use a different type of vinegar, however, make sure that the flavouring of the vinegar goes along the flavours of this loaf. I'd recommend pomegranate or coconut vinegar as these are a great fit, but would stay away from anything balsamic vinegar-like.
The base in this recipe is chickpeas! Yes, chickpeas! You'll be amazed to find that in the final recipe they taste nothing like you know chickpeas. Chickpeas are actually amazing in sweet bakes - they are perfect binders and take on any flavours they are combined with, both sweet and savoury!
I like to use organic chickpeas in my recipes, however, the most important part is that you use unsalted chickpeas. Some cheaper brands contain quite a bit of salt in the chickpea water and these might not be as suitable for use sweet recipes. Ensure to check your chickpea tins before starting the recipe.
Vegan Protein Powder
In this flourless loaf recipe, I'm using a vanilla flavoured vegan protein powder. This gives the loaf a delicious vanilla flavour and also helps bind the loaf together as well as adds a tasty serving of protein to the recipe. The protein I've used for my loaf is the Vanilla Crème Vegan Wondershake by The Protein Works. It's one of the best tasting vegan protein powders I've tried so far and works perfectly in recipes like this loaf, or on its own as a simple protein shake.
To enhance the delicious flavour of this Flourless Vegan Protein Bread I have added the additional vanilla powder to the batter. Alternatively, you can use vanilla extract, though this is a little weaker in vanilla flavouring and you would need to adjust the amount accordingly (see my notes in the recipe card below).
I order my vanilla powder from Buywholefoodsonline and one small pouch lasts me a very long time!
Besides the chickpeas, nut butter is an important ingredient in binding this flourless vegan bread together. I've used almond butter on this occasion, which works perfectly alongside the vanilla flavour of the flourless loaf.
Oh, my favourite vegan egg replacement to use! Flaxseeds are simply amazing, they help bind bakes together perfectly, are rich in protein and hold healthy omega fats. I like to use flaxseeds a lot in a variety of recipes from bakes to smoothie bowls.
The sugar is added to this loaf for the perfect sweetness! I'd recommend you use brown sugar over white sugar (as it's less processed), but you can utilise whatever you prefer or have to hand at the time. On this occasion, I've used a Xylitol sugar replacement in order to keep the recipe relatively low carb and it's turned out simply delicious!
If you decide to swap out the sugar for (maple) syrup, then place add an additional tablespoon of flaxseeds to help make up for the extra liquid.
Dark Chocolate Drops
To take this loaf to the next level, I've finished it off with a serving of dark chocolate drops on the top - that becomes wonderfully melty during the baking time. Alternatively, you can of course omit the chocolate, or use a chopped chocolate bar.
- a food processor or blender
- a measuring jug
- baking parchment
- a small loaf tin
What is the Wondershake?
For this recipe, I've utilised the delicious Wondershake by The Protein Works. Their Vanilla Crème flavour is one of the most delicious protein powders I've tried so far and it's been an. amazing treat in creating this Flourless Vegan Protein Bread.
The Wondershake uses a so-called 'Quadplant technology', meaning it's a blend of different plant-based protein sources to create the best quality and flavour. The Protein Works claim that their "Vegan Wondershake is the world’s first vegan protein shake that tastes just like a dairy shake" - though I've been vegan for way too long to confirm that. What I can say though, is that it tastes absolutely amazing both with this recipe as well as a protein shake. It's deliciously smooth and creamy and comes with a whopping 22g of vegan protein per serving.
At the time of this blog post, the vegan shake comes in 7 different flavour variations: Double Chocolate, Salted Caramel, Chocolate Hazelnut, Strawberries & Cream, Vanilla Crème (which I've used here!), White Choc Peanut and Banana Smooth.
You can find out more about the Wondershake here.
How to make Flourless Vegan Protein Bread
There are a few steps in creating this sweet Flourless Vegan Protein Bread:
- Start with creating vegan buttermilk. For this, simply combine your plant milk with apple cider vinegar. Briefly stir to combine, then set aside to allow the milk to curdle. After about 10 minutes the vegan "buttermilk" can be utilised for the following steps.
- Add the chickpeas to a food processor and process these for 20 seconds to roughly break them down.
- Add in your vanilla protein powder, vanilla powder (or extract), almond butter, flaxseeds and brown sugar (or sugar replacement). Finally pour in the vegan buttermilk. Process everything for a further 2 minutes or until everything is well combined and smooth.
- Grease and line a loaf tin. I like to use coconut oil for this or a flavour neutral oil such as rapeseed. Carefully transfer your batter into the tin. Use a spatula or the back of a spoon to gently even out the surface of the batter.
- Sprinkle dark chocolate drops on the top (optional).
- Bake in the pre-heated oven at 180C for 20 minutes.
- After the baking time elapses, remove the sweet bread from the oven and let the loaf rest for at least10 minutes before carefully removing it from the loaf tin. Let the protein bread cool down almost entirely before slicing it. This will allow for it to set further and develop a firmer texture.
- Slice & enjoy with your favourite toppings! I love adding nut butters, yogurt and fresh fruit - and sprinkle some crunchy nuts or seeds over the top. So delicious!
Variations of this recipe
- If you don't have a small loaf tin to make this delicious Flourless Vegan Protein Bread in, then don't you worry! You can simply use a small cake tin or larger tin in general and bake these into thinner vegan protein blondies (yum!).
- No almond butter to hand? No problemo! Swap out the nut butter for your favourite, or whatever you find in your pantry, but be aware that this will slightly alter the flavour of your flourless vegan protein bread. I'd recommend swapping it out for cashew butter, but if you don't mind the changed flavour feel free to use peanut butter, tahini, walnut butter, pistachio or coconut butter.
- If you'd like to make chocolate bread instead, simply swap out your protein powder for a chocolate flavour and add an additional teaspoon of cacao powder to the food processor.
- No flaxseeds at home? Try using chia seeds instead (1:1) or half a mashed banana.
This recipe is:
- 100% vegan
- high in protein
- easy to make
- egg free
- yeast free
- not using any baking powder
- using only simple ingredients
- a great breakfast or snack
📌 If you love Pinterest you can pin any of the images to your boards!
Flourless Vegan Protein Bread
- 1 mixing bowl
- 1 measuring jug
- 1 loaf tin
- 120 ml plant milk
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 1 can cooked chickpeas (240 g - drained weight) drained
- 5 tbsp protein powder
- 1/4 tsp vanilla powder or 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 90 g almond butter
- 4 tbsp flaxseeds
- 3 tbsp brown sugar or sugar replacement
- 2 tbsp dark chocolate chips optional
- Preheat your oven to 180C.
- In a jug, combine the plant milk with the apple cider vinegar. Stir to combine, then set aside for at least 10 minutes to curdle.
- Add the chickpeas to a food processor and roughly process for 20 seconds. Add the protein powder, vanilla powder (or extract), almond butter, flaxseeds, brown sugar (or replacement) and plant milk mix. Process for 2 minutes until well combined.
- Grease and line a loaf tin, then carefully transfer your batter into the tin. Use a spatula to gently even out the batter and sprinkle dark chocolate drops on the top (optional).
- Bake in the oven at 180C for 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven, and let the loaf rest for 10 minutes before carefully removing it from the loaf tin. Let the loaf cool down almost entirely before slicing it.
- Slice & enjoy with your favourite toppings!
Looking for more vegan protein recipes? Check out these ones here!
© Romy London / Romina Callwitz | All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images and content without prior permission. If you wish to re-publish this recipe, please get in touch via email. Thank you so much for supporting romylondonuk.com!
💭 Leave a Comment