Perfect for the autumn season! This Vegan Pumpkin Babka has all the pumpkin spice goodness you can ask for – deliciously soft and sweet and with delicious crunchy pecans.
For the Tangzhong:
- 40 g (1/4 cup) plain flour (all-purpose)
- 180 ml (3/4 cup) unsweetened plant milk
The rest of the ingredients:
- 420 g (3 + 1/3 cups) plain white flour (all-purpose)
- 2 sachets of dry active yeast (2 x 7g, 14g in total)
- 40 g (3 tbsp + 1 tsp) caster sugar
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- a pinch of sea salt
- 60g (1/4 cup) pumpkin puree (canned or homemade)
- 150 ml (3/4 cup) unsweetened plant milk, at room temperature
- 40 ml (2 tbsp + 2 tsp) rapeseed oil
For the filling:
- 100 g pumpkin puree
- 60 ml maple syrup
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- a pinch of ground nutmeg
- a pinch of ground allspice (optional)
- a pinch of ground cloves
- a pinch of salt
- crushed pecans
Vegan “egg wash”:
- 1 tbsp maple syrup (or agave nectar)
- 3 tbsp plant milk
Plus agave nectar to coat the babka after baking.
- In a large mixing bowl combine 420 g plain flour, sugar, and yeast. In a separate jug combine plant milk, pumpkin puree, salt and oil and set aside.
- Add 40 g of plain flour and 180 ml plant milk to a non-stick saucepan and heat over low heat. Stir continuously until the mix begins to thicken. Remove from the heat.
- Create a well in the dry ingredients, pour in the contents of the jug as well as the Thangzhong. Combine all ingredients with a wooden spatula, then transfer the soft dough to a lightly floured surface and knead until soft and smooth. This should take about 5-8 minutes.
- Place the dough ball into a greased bowl, cover with kitchen foil or a damp towel, and leave to rise for 1 hour in a warm place.
- Once the hour elapses, the dough should have roughly doubled in size. Remove it from the bowl and knead the dough again for 1 minute, then roll it out into a rectangle on a floured surface to about half a centimeter thickness.
- In a small bowl, combine all ingredients for the filling: pumpkin puree, maple syrup and spices. Spread the mixture across the dough and sprinkle with the crushed pecans.
- Gently roll up the dough along the long edge, then carefully slice it down the middle of the roll with a sharp knife.
- Carefully fold the babka by lifting the right string over the left. Repeat until the entire babka is knitted, gently squish the top and bottom of the babka to get it into a denser shape. Transfer to a lined loaf tin, cover, and let it rise for another 30 minutes.
- Brush with the vegan ‘egg’ wash, then transfer to a pre-heated oven and bake at 190C for 20-25 minutes or until golden.
- Remove from the oven and drizzle with a little agave nectar or maple syrup for a sticky coating. Allow cooling for at least 20 minutes before removing the babka from the tin.
- Enjoy warm or cold.
- Serving Size: per slice
- Calories: 301
- Sugar: 10.9
- Sodium: 112
- Fat: 9.5
- Saturated Fat: 0.8
- Unsaturated Fat: 8.7
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 48.5
- Fiber: 2.9
- Protein: 6.3
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: vegan babka, babka recipe, pumpkin babka, pumpkin spice, pumpkin spice babka, vegan pumpkin spice recipes