Vegan Potato Fritters - Quick, easy, and delicious potato fritters made with beautifully basic ingredients. They're also super yummy and moreish!
German-Style Vegan Potato Fritters
If you're a regular reader or follow me on Instagram, you probably know by now that I grew up in Germany and this wonderfully vegan potato fritters recipe is a great example of typical German food, otherwise known as Reibekuchen. My grandma used to make this whenever all the grandchildren were around, now it's not particularly healthy as there is a lot of oil needed to make these, but believe me when I say that it's absolutely delicious - and we don't have to be healthy all the time, right? 😉
Traditionally you'd serve potato fritters with a good portion of apple sauce, as you can see above. A lot of apple sauces are already vegan so I often buy premade apple sauce, unless I'm feeling fancy. While I'll often have these for dinner, they also make great vegan snacks.
Anyway, without further ado, let's get cooking!
Ingredients for Vegan Potato Fritters
- Large potatoes
- Salt, pepper, nutmeg
- Vegetable oil
- Ready-made apple sauce (or make your own)
How to make Vegan Potato Fritters
To start with, shred your potatoes but be sure to use good potatoes for shredding.
Pro tip: All potatoes can be shredded, but for the best result you'll want a high starch content so that those starchy shreds of spud cling together. So, you might want to use russet potatoes or any variety referred to as 'baking potatoes'.
Once your potatoes are all shredded, get rid of the excess water as this will make them too watery and stop them from sticking together! Once you've done that you can get on to shredding the onion.
Next, mix together your salt, pepper, and nutmeg but do feel free to add other herbs and spices - mix it up however you like! Then, add the flour to the dry ingredients and mix well.
Once your patties are nicely formed, fry them in a large frying pan over medium heat until golden brown.
Pro tip: I'd suggest using vegetable oil, rapeseed oil, or another oil without a strong flavor.
Next, serve alongside a good portion of apple dipping sauce (just apple sauce for dipping!) and there you go, your vegan Reibekuchen / vegan potato fritters are ready to eat! Enjoy!
This recipe is:
- 100% vegan
- dairy free
- egg free
- gluten free (depending on your apple sauce!)
- super easy to make
📌 If you love Pinterest you can pin any of the images to your boards!
Vegan Potato Fritters
- 4-5 large potatoes e.g. Maris Piper
- 1 large onion finely diced
- salt pepper & nutmeg to taste
- 1/2 cup flour 60 g
- Vegetable oil for frying
- Ready-made apple sauce or make your own
- Shred the potatoes (make sure you use the right type of potatoes for this, e.g. Maris Piper). Get rid of excess water from the potatoes as this would make them too watery and they will not stick together.
- Shred the onion.
- Combine and add the salt pepper and nutmeg. Feel free to add more herbs or spices - this is down to your personal preference!
- Add the flour and mix well.
- Form little patties and fry in a large pan with vegetable oil (rapeseed or similar, something without a strong taste) - et voila: Reibekuchen!
- Serve with ready-made apple sauce - or even make your own apple sauce to go with it.
Looking for more delicious vegan dinners and snacks? Try some of my other favorite recipes below:
- Vegan Baked Falafel Recipe
- Vegan Peanut Noodles (My Favourite Recipe)
- Vegan Carbonara with Smoky Chickpeas
- Easy Vegan Cauliflower Wings
© 2024 Romy London / Romina Callwitz | All images, videos, wordings and content are copyright protected and belong to Romina Callwitz. Please do not use any of my content without prior permission. If you wish to re-publish any (part of my) content, please get in touch via email. Thanks for your support!