- 200g spaghetti (or other pasta)
For the sauce:
- 1/2 Butternut squash, cubed
- 3 garlic cloves, whole
- 1 small red onion, roughly chopped
- a little olive oil for roasting
- a sprinkle of salt & pepper
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 3 Tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1 Tbsp tapioca flour (optional)
- a handful of cashew nuts
- 400–450ml plant milk (I used soy)
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 3 Tbsp pickle brine
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- fried tempeh (optional)
- Start by roasting the butternut squash: Simply cut your squash into cubes and add to a roasting tin alongside the garlic and chopped onion, drizzle with a little oil and salt/pepper and roast it in your oven at 200C until soft and golden (20-30 minutes).
- Once the squash is roasted, prepare your pasta according to the packaging instructions.
- Whilst your pasta is cooking, add the roasted squash into your blender alongside the remainder of the sauce ingredients. Blend on high-speed for 1-2 minutes or until perfectly smooth.
- Transfer the sauce into a large saucepan and heat over medium heat. Once your pasta is cooked, drain and add it into the saucepan with your sauce. Take it off the heat and gently stir to combine.
- Serve with fried tempeh, fresh salad, crispy smokey chickpeas or vegan bacon pieces.
Keywords: vegan mac and cheese, vegan mac & cheese, vegan mac and cheese sauce, vegan butternut squash mac and cheese