This hearty Kale and Borlotti Bean Soup will warm your soul even on the coldest of days! Created with seasonal veg and comforting flavours.
- 2 tins borlotti beans, drained
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, peeled sliced
- 1 tsp chilli paste or 1/2 tsp chilli flakes
- 1 Tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 600ml vegetable stock
- 1–2 handfuls of cavolo nero (black kale), roughly chopped
- salt & pepper to taste
- Heat the rapeseed oil in a large saucepan and add the chopped onion to sauté for 2 minutes, before adding in the crushed garlic.
- Stir in the chilli paste and tomato puree, then add all the chopped vegetables and borlotti beans and stir through for a minute to combine with the paste.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, bay leaves and vegetable stock and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to a minimum and allow to simmer with a closed lid for 25-30 minutes. Add in the chopped black kale for the last 2 minutes of the cooking time.
- Season to taste with salt & pepper and remove the bay leaves before serving.
This soup also freezes well! Simply allow to cool down after cooking and freeze in airtight containers.
A spoonful of ketchup tastes fantastic in this soup!
Add a spoonful of marmite for extra flavour.
Keywords: winter soups, seasonal soup, autumn soup, kale and borlotti bean soup, kale soup, vegan soup recipe