This creamy vegan risotto is a dinner classic in our household! It only takes around 30 minutes to cook and is a delicious mid-week dinner.
- 1 yellow onion, finely chopped
- 2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 Tbsp dried thyme
- 50ml vegan white wine (check Barnivore)
- 200g risotto rice
- 50g dried mixed mushrooms (I used Merchant Gourmet)
- 1 tsp white miso paste
- 1 vegetable stock cube (or 1 tsp powder)
- 1 Tbsp porcini powder (alternatively use porcini paste)
- a handful of cooked chestnuts (I used Merchant Gourmet)
- sea salt & black pepper to taste
- 1 Tbsp vegan parmesan (optional)
- Start by adding the finely chopped onion to a large pan alongside the olive oil. Cook on medium heat until translucent (2-3 minutes), then add the minced garlic and cook for a further minute.
- Add the dried thyme and stir, then gently pour in the vegan white wine. Let it bubble for 2 minutes, then reduce the heat to low/medium and add your risotto rice to the pan.
- Stir to combine and cook the rice for a minute or until it becomes lightly translucent. Add in the dried mushrooms, white miso paste, stock cube and porcini powder, then begin to add water to the pan to just about cover the rice. Stir continuously and proceed to add a little water whenever the pan gets dry. Cook for at least 20 minutes with this method – or until the rice is cooked and creamy.
- Crumble in the chestnuts – about a handful – and keep any additional chestnuts for decoration later.
- Season to taste with sea salt & black pepper.
- (Optional) sprinkle in 1-2 tsp of vegan parmesan.
- Serve with chestnuts on the top, a fresh sprinkle of black pepper and thyme. Enjoy!
Instead of mushroom powders or dried mushrooms you can also use fresh mushrooms. Replace it with 250g of chestnuts mushrooms or wild mixed mushrooms and let them cook & soften in the pan prior to adding the risotto rice.
Keywords: vegan risotto, vegan mushroom risotto, healthy vegan risotto, vegan dinner ideas