This recipe for Sticky Balsamic Tofu is a delicious and easy way to add plant-based protein to your meals. The crispy tofu bites are coated in a sweet and tangy, sticky sauce, making it a perfect addition to any meal.
- 6.3 oz extra firm tofu (roughly 180g)
- 2 tbsp cornstarch
- 2 tbsp toasted sesame oil
For the sticky balsamic sauce:
- 1 tbsp tamari soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 tbsp water
- Gently break apart the tofu with your hands into bite-size chunks. Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons of toasted sesame oil in a medium-sized pan over medium-high heat.
- Add 2 tablespoons of cornstarch to a small bowl and toss the tofu chunks in it until lightly covered. The flour will stick to the moisture of the tofu.
- Transfer the tofu to the hot pan and pan-fry until crispy on all sides. Throughout the process, use chopsticks to flip the tofu.
- While the tofu is cooking, prepare the sauce by combining all sauce ingredients in a small jar.
- Once the tofu is crispy on all sides, gently pour the sauce over it (enjoy the sizzle!), reduce the heat to medium-low, and remove the pan from the heat after about 30-60 seconds.
- Garnish with sesame seeds and serve immediately. Enjoy!
- Use extra firm tofu for best results
- Press your tofu before coating it in corn flour to remove excess water and help it crisp up better
- Use cornstarch to coat the tofu and create a crispy crust
- Ensure your pan and oil are at a high temperature before adding the tofu to prevent it from becoming greasy and mushy
- Flip the tofu bites regularly to ensure they crisp up on all sides
- Use chopsticks to flip the tofu and avoid burnt edges
- Use toasted sesame oil for a nutty flavor, but feel free to use other flavorless cooking oil if preferred
- Combine all sauce ingredients in a small jar with a lid and shake well to blend
Keywords: tofu, how to cook tofu, crispy tofu recipe, how to make crispy tofu, sticky balsamic tofu, tofu sauce