Delicious Vegan Katsu Curry made with crunchy tempeh ‘steaks’ and a flavoursome homemade katsu curry sauce – easy to re-create at home!
- 200g tempeh
- 5–6 tbsp panko breadcrumbs
- oil to fry
- cooked rice to serve
- sesame seeds & chilli flakes to garnish
For the flour mix:
- 4 tbsp plain flour
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 100ml plant milk
For the sauce:
- 1 shallot or small yellow onion, cooked
- 2 carrots, cooked
- 1 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp garam masala
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp plain flour
- 350ml vegetable stock cube
- 2 tbsp coconut cream
- salt & pepper to taste
- Start by cutting the tempeh into slices of about 1cm thickness.
- Prepare the flour mix in a small bowl and place the panko breadcrumbs into another bowl. Pre-heat a little oil in a non-stick frying pan.
- Dip all your tempeh slices into the flour mixture, gently drip off the excess and then carefully coat them in the breadcrumbs. Place them in your frying pan and fry them until golden on both sides. Be gentle with them and move them as little as possible once they’re in the pan. Place them in the oven to keep them warm at a low heat, whilst you’re preparing the Katsu sauce.
- For the sauce, cook the onion in a little oil until softened. Cook or steam the carrots until soft, then combine all sauce ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Serve your Katsu sauce with the tempeh steaks and rice and garnish with sesame seeds & chilli flakes.
Keywords: tempeh curry, vegan katsu curry, tempeh katsu curry, katsu curry recipe, tempeh katsu recipe, vegan curry recipe, vegan katsu curry