Indonesian-inspired fried rice full of delicious flavours and colourful vegetables - this Tempeh Nasi Goreng Recipe is perfect for a delicious mid-week dinner excursion of flavours!
Vegan Tempeh Nasi Goreng
This recipe is:
- 100% vegan
- full of tasty veggies!
- nice and spicy!
Ingredients for this recipe:
You only need a few fresh ingredients for making this delicious dish:
- Tempeh (I've used Tiba Tempeh, Soy-Marinated Pieces)
- Basmati rice, cooked
- Peanut oil
- Spring onions
- Flat green beans,
- Red pepper
- Red cabbage
- Head of broccoli
- Roasted peanuts
- Fresh limes
For the sauce:
- Red chillies
- Tamari Soy Sauce
- Coconut sugar
- Lime juice
- Chilli paste to taste (optional)
If you need a new blender, you might consider buying from Greenis. Not only do they have a range of great blenders, but if you use my affiliate link to buy one, you’ll be supporting me and my content!
How to make this Tempeh Nasi Goreng Recipe
Preparing your sauce
To start with, preheat your oven to 220ºC. While you're waiting for that to heat up, place your chillis on a lined baking tray and bake them for 5 minutes before adding the unpeeled cloves of garlic and ginger to the baking tray. Now bake everything together for another 10 minutes until the garlic and ginger soften and the chillies blacken.
Next, take the chilli stalks out of the tray, peel the cloves of garlic and them both to a blender with the ginger, tamari soy sauce, coconut sugar and lime juice. Now blitz everything together until you're left with a smooth mixture and add chilli paste until you're happy with the flavour.
How to cook the tempeh and vegetables
Splash a little peanut oil in a wok and cook the tempeh pieces. Once they start getting crispy, remove them from the pan and set them aside. Now add the white parts of your sliced spring onions and story fry until soft and set them aside with the tempeh.
Add a little more peanut oil to the wok and fry your vegetables until they've softened. Be sure to add the cabbage and peppers last so they still have a bit of crunch and then set all your veggies aside.
Cooking your rice
Next, pour your blended sauce into the wok with a splash of water and cook for 2 minutes before adding your rice to the wok and mixing it all together.
Now your sauce is cooked, add the spring onions, veggies and tempeh back to the wok and heat through.
To serve, sprinkle the leftover spring onions and roasted peanuts.
You might also enjoy these recipes:
If - like me - you love Pinterest, you can find me here & if you like, you can pin any of the images on this page to your boards 😊Print
Indonesian-inspired fried rice full of delicious flavours and colourful additions - this Tempeh Nasi Goreng Recipe is perfect for a delicious mid-week dinner excursion of flavours!
- 1 pack of tempeh, cut into bite-size chunks (200 g)
- 200 g basmati rice, cooked
- 2 tbsp peanut oil
- 3 spring onions, sliced
- 100 g flat green beans, sliced
- 1 red pepper, finely sliced
- 1/4 red cabbage, finely sliced
- 1/2 head of broccoli, cut into florets
- a handful of roasted peanuts
- fresh limes to serve
For the sauce:
- 4 garlic cloves
- 3 red chillies
- a thumb-size piece of ginger, sliced
- 3 Tbsp Tamari
- 2 Tbsp coconut sugar
- juice of a lime
- chilli paste to taste (optional)
- Preheat your oven to 220ºC. Place the chillies on a lined baking tray and bake for 5 minutes, then add the unpeeled garlic cloves & the ginger and bake for a further 10 minutes or until the garlic and ginger soften and the chillies blacken.
- Remove the chilli stalks, peel the garlic cloves and add them to a small blender with the ginger, tamari soy sauce, coconut sugar and lime juice. Blitz everything until smooth, adjust to your personal taste with chilli paste.
- Cook the tempeh pieces in a little peanut oil in a wok until they begin to crisp, then remove them from the pan and set them aside. Add the white parts of the sliced spring onions and stir fry them until soft, then remove them and set them aside.
- Add the rest of the peanut oil to the wok and stir fry the veggies until soft, adding the peppers and cabbage last. Set the stir-fried veggies aside.
- Pour the blended sauce into the wok with a little water and cook it for 2 minutes, then add in the rice and mix well.
- Add the spring onions, veggies and tempeh back to the wok and heat through.
- Serve with roasted peanuts and green spring onions.
- Serving Size: per portion
- Calories: 327
- Sugar: 14.8
- Sodium: 1042.7
- Fat: 11.2
- Saturated Fat: 2
- Unsaturated Fat: 9.2
- Trans Fat: 0
- Carbohydrates: 48.3
- Fiber: 7.7
- Protein: 11.7
- Cholesterol: 0
Keywords: tempeh nasi goreng, vegan nasi goreng, nasi goreng recipe
If you liked this, why not try some of my other recipes? Here are some of my favourites:
- Vegan Katsu Curry Recipe with Tempeh
- Vegan Peanut Noodles (My Favourite Recipe)
- Vegan Carbonara with Smoky Chickpeas
- Creamy Vegan Mushroom Risotto (with Chestnuts)
© Romy London / Romina Callwitz | All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images and content without prior permission. If you wish to re-publish this recipe, please get in touch via email. Thank you so much for supporting romylondonuk.com!