Get ready for a flavour-packed excursion with this game-changing Easy Chickpea Tuna Sandwich recipe! Made with a flavorful combination of chickpeas, tangy capers, and vegan mayo, this sandwich will hit all the right notes for your taste buds. Who said vegan eats can't be nostalgic?
This vegan sandwich channels the classic tuna mayo vibes – but plant-based of course! If you're looking for an easy, lip-smacking, and oh-so-simple dish that's perfect for a quick snack or a delicious lunch, you've found your next bite! And the best thing? It only requires three ingredients for the chickpea tuna base!
This recipe is:
- 100% Vegan
- Made using Chickpeas & Vegan Mayo
- Simple & Delicious - With just three main ingredients plus seasonings, this recipe keeps it simple without compromising on flavour, making it a delightful and fuss-free dish.
- Nostalgic yet Vegan - A nod to classic tuna mayo, this vegan alternative stirs up nostalgia while staying true to plant-based living. Say goodbye to missing out on beloved childhood favourites!
- Versatile & Customizable - This recipe allows for creative customizations – from adding nori sheets for a hint of the sea to sprinkling sesame seeds for added texture, it's a canvas for your culinary imagination.
- Easy Peasy Preparation - Quick and easy to whip up, all you need is a food processor and a handful of ingredients to craft this delightful 'tuna' mayo.
- Satisfying & Healthy - Packed with plant-based protein from chickpeas and the creaminess of vegan mayo, this dish is a nutritious, satisfying option for any mealtime.
Discover the star of sandwiches! This vegan tuna mayo recipe is a breeze to whip up, requiring just three key ingredients along with salt and pepper.
My journey with 'tuna mayo' began when I first stepped into the UK. In my German hometown, sandwiches were all about cold cuts and cheese, but it was a whole new ball game here. As an Aupair, I stumbled upon this intriguing 'tuna mayo' world while preparing lunch for a little one. Non-vegan at the time, I gave it a try and was instantly won over by its flavorful blend. Being a mayo enthusiast, it was a match made in taste bud heaven!
Ingredients & Notes
- chickpeas - I use tinned, unsalted ones for this recipe, but you can also soak & cook dried chickpeas ahead of making this recipe. It's just important that they're soft enough for your food processor to pulse them.
- capers - it's best to use the small, pickled kind for this recipe!
- vegan mayonnaise - vegan mayo is mostly readily available in supermarkets nowadays. I like using Follow your heart for my chickpea 'tuna' but you can also make the Best Vegan Mayo at home using this recipe from fellow vegan blogger Debra!
- salt and pepper - to taste
- fresh parsley - to garnish (optional)
More Flavor Variations for Chickpea Tuna
- Seaweed/Nori Sheets - For a little extra 'fishy' flavour, I love adding a sprinkle of nori sheets (sushi sheets!) to this recipe, they add a wonderful seafood flavour to any tuna mayo sandwich or salad.
- Toasted bread - Give me a toasted slice of sourdough alongside this vegan tuna mayo and I'm happy! You can, however, use a lot of different types of bread alongside, such as rye bread and crispbread.
- Fresh spinach or lettuce - I love adding some fresh spinach to my tuna mayo sandwiches - it's a delicious combination with the smooth and tangy flavours of the sandwich filling.
- Sesame seeds - Add some white or black sesame seeds for a delicious crunch! You can add these prior to the blending process - as we're only pulsing here, the sesame seeds won't fully breakdown and you'll still get a good crunch. Alternatively, stir them into your ready-made vegan tuna mayo!
- Shishimi - For a little spicy kick, shishimi seasoning makes a great addition! Simply adjust to your personal taste - I recommend adding this after the blending process and simply season to taste.
- Food processor
That's all! As you see, it's super simple!
How to Make Vegan Tuna Mayo from Chickpeas
- Step 1: Preparation - Gather a food processor, blender, stick blender, or even a fork to mash the chickpeas.
- Step 2: Combine Ingredients - Place all listed ingredients into your chosen appliance – the food processor, blender, or use a stick blender.
- Step 3: Pulsing Process - Pulse the ingredients until the majority of the chickpeas are broken down. This process typically takes about a minute.
- Step 4: Texture Preference - If you prefer a chunkier texture, pulse the mixture for a shorter duration. For a smoother consistency, continue blending for a little longer until you reach your desired texture.
- Step 5: Adjust to Taste - Some prefer a creamy finish, while others enjoy a bit of texture. Feel free to adjust the blending time based on your personal preference for the chickpea 'tuna' mayo texture.
- Step 6: Serve and Enjoy - Once blended to your liking, your chickpea 'tuna' mayo is ready to use. Spread it on sandwiches, use it in salads, or enjoy it with your preferred accompaniment!
Extra tip: Enjoy this chickpea tuna on freshly baked focaccia for a next-level sandwich!
Here are some serving suggestions for your vegan chickpea tuna mayo beyond sandwiches:
- Salad Booster: Use it as a topping for a green salad or mix it into pasta or potato salads for added texture and flavor.
- Veggie Dip: Serve it as a dip with raw veggies like cucumber sticks, carrot sticks, or bell pepper slices.
- Stuffed Veggies: Use it as a stuffing for cherry tomatoes, mini bell peppers, or hollowed-out cucumber cups for bite-sized appetizers.
- Wraps and Rolls: Spread it on tortillas or wraps along with fresh veggies and greens to create delicious wraps or rolls.
- Bowl Add-On: Add a dollop on top of grain bowls or Buddha bowls for a protein-packed addition.
- Cracker Topping: Spread it on crackers or rice cakes for a quick and tasty snack.
- Pita or Flatbread: Use it as a filling in pita pockets or on flatbreads along with your favorite veggies.
- Rice Cake Delight: Top rice cakes or whole grain bread with chickpea 'tuna' mayo for a light and satisfying snack.
It's best to keep your tuna mayo in the fridge in an airtight container and consume it within 3 days.
📌 If you love Pinterest you can pin any of the images to your boards!
More Recipes To Try
If you love sandwiches and chickpeas, make sure to also try these spicy and creamy Buffalo Chickpeas, which are also a fantastic sandwich filler!
📖 Recipe Card
Chickpea Tuna Mayo
- 1 blender or food processor
- 1 7-oz can cooked chickpeas (400 g) drained and rinsed
- 2 tbsp capers
- 2 tbsp vegan mayo
- salt and pepper to taste
- fresh parsley to garnish optional
- Open the can and drain the chickpeas and rinse them thoroughly under cold water.
- Add the drained chickpeas, capers, and vegan mayo into the bowl of a food processor. Pulse the mixture for about 20-30 seconds. You'll want to achieve a slightly chunky texture, ensuring it's well combined but still retains some texture.
- Taste the mixture and season it with salt and pepper to suit your preference. Remember that capers can add some saltiness, so adjust accordingly.
- Take your favorite sandwich bread slices and spread a generous amount of the prepared chickpea 'tuna' mayo onto one slice. Top it with another slice of bread to create a sandwich. Garnish your sandwich with freshly chopped parsley for added color and flavor.
- Cut the sandwich in half or into quarters, and it's ready to be enjoyed!
- This sandwich filling is also delicious as a side or mixed with cold, cooked paste to create a delicious vegan tuna mayo pasta salad.
- For an extra 'fishy' flavour you can add seaweed or nori sheets to the blender. It adds a wonderful seasoning to the tuna mayo.
- For an extra zesty boost, drizzle fresh lemon juice into the chickpea tuna mix.
- Store the chickpea tuna in an airtight container and refrigerate for up to 3 days.
© 2024 Romy London / Romina Callwitz | All images, videos, wordings and content are copyright protected and belong to Romina Callwitz. Please do not use any of my content without prior permission. If you wish to re-publish any (part of my) content, please get in touch via email. Thanks for your support!