Welcome to another flavor-packed recipe: Buffalo Chickpeas! This zesty dish brings together crispy chickpeas smothered in a creamy and tangy, spicy buffalo sauce.
With simple ingredients you probably have in your pantry, you can whip up these fiery chickpeas that are perfect as a side, topping, or standalone treat. Adjust the spice level, play around with the sauce, and make it your own!
Each bite bursts with a perfect blend of heat and creaminess, so let’s fire up those taste buds!
🌱 Ingredients & Notes
Here's everything you need for this recipe:
- Cooked chickpeas - canned or cooked from dry, make sure they are drained and rinsed if you're using canned chickpeas. For best results use unsalted chickpeas. You can also use your favorite beans, such as butter beans, black beans or kidney beans instead of chickpeas.
- Olive oil - for sautéing the onion and chickpeas
- Onion - medium size, finely diced
- Hot sauce - Use your favorite brand and adjust quantity for desired spiciness. Substitute the hot sauce with a mix of chili powder or cayenne pepper and vinegar or lemon juice for a spicy kick.
- Tomato paste - Adds depth and thickness to the sauce. Replace with tomato sauce or ketchup if required.
- Seasonings - Smoked paprika powder and garlic powder for a smoky, savory flavor
- Coconut yogurt - Adds a delicious creaminess to the vegan buffalo chickpeas. Swap for a non-dairy alternative, if needed.
- Salt and black pepper - to season according to taste
- Fresh coriander - for garnish and added flavor. Alternatively, opt for fresh parsley.
- Balsamic glaze - optional, for a tangy finish
Gather the following items from your kitchen for this recipe:
- Medium-sized pan or skillet
- Mixing bowl
- Stirring utensil, such as a spatula or wooden spoon
- Serving plates or bowls for presentation
👨🍳 Step-by-Step Instructions
Step 1 - Sauté onion until soft, add chickpeas and cook until lightly crispy.
Step 2 - Mix all ingredients for the vegan buffalo sauce and pour the sauce over the chickpeas. Stir to coat.
Step 3 - Simmer for 5-7 minutes, adjusting the texture with a little water.
Step 4 - Remove from heat and stir in the coconut yogurt.
Step 5 - Garnish with fresh cilantro and a drizzle of balsamic glaze.
Here are some delicious ways to serve these buffalo chickpeas:
- As a Snack: Serve the buffalo chickpeas as a standalone spicy snack in a bowl or on a platter with toothpicks for easy grabbing.
- Topping for Meals: Use them as a topping for salads, grain bowls, tacos, baked potatoes or as a flavorful addition to wraps and sandwiches.
- Side Dish: Pair the buffalo chickpeas with other sides like roasted vegetables, quinoa, or rice for a complete meal.
How to Store
Store any leftover buffalo chickpeas in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 3-4 days. Ensure they've cooled completely before storing.
Reheat in a pan over medium heat with a splash of water or broth to prevent sticking. Stir occasionally until heated through.
Recipes You Might Also Enjoy
Looking for more bean and chickpea-based deliciousness? Explore my blog for more tantalizing recipes like this Creamy Butter Bean Curry that's an all-time favorite with my readers, or these snacky Vegan Chickpea Nuggets.
📌 If you love Pinterest you can pin any of the images to your boards!
📖 Recipe Card
- 1 medium-sized pan or skillet
- 1 small mixing bowl
- 1 spatula or wooden spoon
- 1 serving bowl or plate
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas (200g) e.g. canned
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 medium onion finely diced
- 2 tbsp hot sauce
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp smoked paprika powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 5-7 fl oz water (150-200 ml)
- 1/4 cup coconut yogurt (60 ml)
- salt and black pepper to taste
- fresh cilantro (coriander) for garnish
- balsamic glaze for serving optional
- If using canned chickpeas, drain and rinse them.
- In a pan, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat. Sauté the onion until it becomes translucent. Add the cooked chickpeas to the pan and let them cook for a few minutes until they start to get a little crispy.
- In a bowl, mix together the hot sauce, tomato paste, smoked paprika, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper. Pour this buffalo sauce mix over the chickpeas in the pan.
- Stir the chickpeas so they're evenly coated with the buffalo sauce. Let the chickpeas cook in the sauce for about 5-7 minutes. If the sauce gets too thick, add a little water to adjust the texture. Once the sauce is heated through and the chickpeas are nicely coated, turn off the heat.
- Stir in the coconut yogurt for creaminess.
- Sprinkle some fresh coriander on top for added flavor. Drizzle a bit of balsamic glaze over the chickpeas for an extra flavor boost if desired.
- Serve the buffalo chickpeas hot as a delicious and spicy snack or side dish or as a topping for salads, roasted potatoes or rice bowls.
- Adjust Spice: Modify the hot sauce quantity to suit your spice preference.
- Use canned chickpeas or cook them from dry; ensure they're drained and rinsed if using canned.
- Substitute ingredients like hot sauce, tomato paste, or yogurt according to availability and taste (see ingredient notes).
- Adjust salt, pepper, and other spices to match your flavor preferences.
- Toppings and Serving: Get creative with toppings like balsamic glaze, fresh coriander, or a dollop of yogurt before serving.
- Serve as a snack, side dish, or a delicious topping for salads, wraps, or grain bowls.
© 2024 Romy London / Romina Callwitz | All images, videos, wordings and content are copyright protected and belong to Romina Callwitz. Please do not use any of my content without prior permission. If you wish to re-publish any (part of my) content, please get in touch via email. Thanks for your support!