For me, pancakes simply come with that weekend feeling – and these rice protein pancakes are simply perfect to ensure you get some of all your macros (carbs, fats AND proteins!) with this delicious vegan breakfast option.
Pancake Day has only just passed and I simply couldn’t help but showcase some vegan pancake magic at my cookery demo at this years’ Vegan Life Live event. I was honestly blessed to have been invited back for the second year in a row, this year focusing my cookery demo on ‘Vegan Breakfast Goals’ – despite finding out after that my demo was going to take place at 4pm in the afternoon on a Sunday. But hey: I hope I could inspire one person or another for their Monday morning breakfast goals!
In creating this recipe I have experimented a little with different types of protein powder and found that the rice protein held the pancakes together in the best way – and also tasted the best! Of course, depending on your personal preference, you can also use the protein you have on hand, but I cannot guarantee they will hold together as well as this recipe for rice protein pancakes does (e.g. in my experience hemp protein needs more of a binder added to the batter, such as flaxseeds, chia seeds or a vegan egg replacement.
Let’s talk egg replacements! As you can tell from the ingredients list below, I have not used any fancy egg replacers in this recipe for rice protein pancakes. In fact, in a traditional pancake recipe the eggs have a purely binding purpose and do not add to the flavour profile of the dish and with the rice protein being perfect in itself to bind the pancakes together, an egg replacement was not strictly necessary in this simple recipe.
However, to make these pancakes a little fluffier, I have used soy yogurt and apple cider vinegar as the liquid components in this recipe. Simply combine the 2 and set aside for ideally 10 minutes before moving forward. This will allow for the vinegar to break down and curdle the yogurt further and this will create air in the pancake batter later, resulting in softer and fluffier pancakes (it’s magic!)
Deliciously fluffy rice protein pancakes – unbelievably both vegan & gluten free! This is honestly such a simple recipe to create and one of my weekend breakfast favourites!
- In a medium size bowl, mash the banana with a fork.
- Add 2 Tbsp Alpro Coconut Yogurt into the bowl, as well as 1 tsp Apple Cider Vinegar. Stir to combine all ingredients and set aside for 5 minutes.
- Heat a non-stick frying pan over medium-high heat. Add a little coconut oil into the pan.
- Add 2 Tbsp Pulsin Rice Protein and 2 Tbsp Buckwheat Flour to the wet ingredients and stir with the fork to combine.
- Use a tablespoon to transfer the batter in portion sizes to the pan, shape the pancakes with the back of the spoon.
- Gently flip the pancakes once the edges begin to brown (4-5 minutes) and cook on the second side for about 3 minutes.
- Serve with your favourite pancake toppings!
Keywords: breakfast, vegan protein
In terms of toppings – you probably know by now that I am a massive fan of extensive topping options. Some of my favourites include more yogurt (coconut is great!), banana, nuts and seeds (especially toasted pecans!) and the perfect drizzle of Canadian maple syrup – yum!
I hope you will enjoy this simple and fool proof recipe for Rice protein pancakes just as much as I did – bon appetit!
Looking for more vegan protein recipes?