This creamy vegan pumpkin risotto is the perfect comfort food for the season! Full of flavour and served with shiitake mushrooms. Easy to make from scratch – gluten free & vegan!
- 1 Tbsp rapeseed oil
- 1 Tbsp fresh thyme
- 2 shallots, finely diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 100ml vegan white wine
- 150g pumpkin puree
- 250g carnaroli risotto rice
- 500–600ml vegetable stock
- 1 Tbsp nutritional yeast (optional)
- salt & pepper to taste
For the topping:
- 125g shiitake mushrooms
- 1 tsp rapeseed oil
- 1–2 Tbsp tamari soy sauce
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- Heat the rapeseed oil in a large pan and place the fresh thyme into the oil. Allow to become fragrant for about a minute or two, but be careful not to burn the thyme. Remove the thyme from the pan and set it aside for later.
- Fry the diced shallots in the oil on a high heat for 1 minute, then add in the minced garlic for another 30 seconds before reducing the heat to low. Pour in the vegan white wine to deglaze the pan.
- Add in the pumpkin puree and risotto rice and stir to combine. Heat the rice for about 2 minutes whilst stirring, then begin to pour in the vegetable stock, roughly 100ml at a time. Continue to stir slowly and bring to a simmer, allowing for the rice to soak up the liquid. This will take about 30-40 minutes. You will know when the rice is cooked once it’s completely softened and the majority of the liquid soaked up.
- When done, stir in 1 Tbsp of nutritional yeast (optional) the thyme back in and season to taste with salt & pepper.
- In a non-stick pan, fry the shiitake mushrooms in a little oil for 4-5 minutes. Once softened, take them off the heat and instantly stir in the tamari soy sauce. Sprinkle with black pepper and serve on top of the creamy pumpkin risotto.
Looking for vegan white wine? Check Barnivore to find out which wines are vegan!
You can definitely create this recipe without using the vegan white wine, however it packs a whole bunch of flavour depth, so I wouldn’t recommend skipping it entirely.
Keywords: risotto, pumpkin risotto, vegan pumpkin risotto, gluten free vegan risotto, gluten free pumpkin risotto, risotto recipe