For the Tangzhong:
- 40g plain flour
- 180ml unsweetened plant milk
The rest of the ingredients:
- 420g plain white flour
- 2 sachets of dry active yeast (2 x 7g)
- 25g raw sugar
- 5g sea salt
- 160ml unsweetened plant milk, room temperature
- 40ml olive oil
- 2–3 Tbsp sesame seeds (optional)
Vegan “egg wash”:
- 1 tbsp maple syrup (or agave nectar)
- 3 tbsp plant milk
- Whisk together the ingredients for the Tangzhong in a sauce pan with the stove top turned off.
- In a large bowl combine your dry ingredients in a large mixing bowl: flour, yeast, sugar and salt. In a measuring jug measure out the wet ingredients at room temperature: plant milk & olive oil. If the mix is too cold, place into the microwave for 30 seconds and stir afterwards.
- Gently heat the saucepan on the stovetop over low heat, continuously stirring with a whisk until the mixture thickens and becomes sticky, but smooth. This should take roughly 2-3 minutes. Remove from the heat.
- Pour your wet ingredients into the large bowl and roughly combine, then add in the Tangzhong. Stir until the mix becomes to sticky, then transfer the dough to a floured surface and knead for about 10-15 minutes or until the surface becomes smooth & shiny.
- Form a ball and place the dough into a greased bowl. Cover with a clean wet kitchen towel or cling film and place in a warm safe to rise for 1 hour.
- Once the hour elapses push out the air. Divide the dough into 8 equal size dough balls, gently kneading each for 10-15 seconds. Place the buns onto a lightly greased baking tray about 2 inches apart, cover again and allow for them to rise for another hour.
- After 50 minutes pre-heat your oven to 180C.
- Place the uncovered buns into the oven and bake for 10 minutes. Carefully remove them from the oven and brush them with the vegan ‘egg wash’. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and return to the oven for a further 6-8 minutes.
- Allow for the buns to cool for a minimum of 15 minutes before slicing. Toast them in a non-stick frying pan before assembling your burger.
Keywords: vegan burger buns, vegan brioche buns, tangzhong burger buns, fluffy vegan burger buns, homemade burger buns, vegan burger recipe, burger bread recipe