Spicy and tangy homemade harissa paste – created to a vegan recipe using birds-eye chillies, roasted red peppers and smoky flavours.
- 3–5 dried birds-eye chilies
- 2 large red bell peppers
- 5 large garlic cloves
- 1 tsp toasted caraway seeds
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- ½ tsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp smoked paprika powder
- ¼ tsp sea salt
- 1 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- To create the harissa paste, place your red peppers under the grill of your oven and grill until the skin begins to blacken. Remove the peppers from the oven and set them aside to cool down for 10 minutes, then remove the skin and seeds.
- In the meantime, place the dried chilies into boiling water to soften for 10 minutes. Toast your caraway seeds in a small pan on the stove for 2-3 minutes whilst stirring.
- Transfer the peppers, chilies, garlic, caraway seeds, tomato paste, ground coriander, cumin and smoked paprika powder, salt and lemon juice to a small food processor and blend for 1-2 minutes until the ingredients are broken down into a smooth sauce.
- Serve alongside falafels or as part of a recipe.
Keywords: harissa, harissa paste, harissa recipe, harissa ingredients