Making your savoury brunch dreams come true with this super Easy Vegan Shakshuka recipe!
Shakshuka is such a wonderful and delicious option for a savoury vegan breakfast! I love rolling out of bed on a Sunday morning and create some savoury magic in the kitchen – and that’s where this Easy Vegan Shakshuka recipe is simply perfect!
What is shakshuka?
Shakshuka (also spelled shakshouka or chakchouka) is a dish of eggs poached in a sauce of tomatoes, olive oil, peppers, onion and garlic, and commonly spiced with cumin, paprika, cayenne pepper and nutmeg. The dish has existed in Mediterranean cultures for centuries.
What you’ll need for this Easy Vegan Shakshuka
Onion & garlic – finely diced and crushed. A great start to this recipe that makes your kitchen smell fantastic and adds to the wonderful taste of your shakshuka!
Two of my go-tos for a shakshuka are celery and red pepper – both finely diced to be deliciously incorporated in the recipe.
Keep it simple and season to taste with black pepper, smoked paprika and sea salt.
Helps thickening up the tomato base of the dish, without adding any nasties. Go for organic tomato paste for the best flavour.
Tomato relish (optional)
A delicious, but optional addition! I think it adds a whole new flavour dimension to the Shakshuka and it’s simply delicious. One of my favourites to add is the Spicy Tomato Relish by Rubies in the Rubble.
The delicious tomato base for this recipe! Go for organic to get the best tasting chopped tomatoes and ensure they don’t contain any added sugar or salt, but purely tomatoes.
My favourites to use in this dish! I simply love adding tinned cherry tomatoes and their natural sweetness! In this Vegan Shakshuka they also add a great bite to the dish! If you don’t have any to hand, you can swap them out for more chopped tomatoes or plum tomatoes
Adding some healthy greens into the dish! You can also add spinach if you prefer, both make really healthy and delicious additions. Add them towards the end of the cooking process as they will only need a short moment to wilt.
What to serve with this vegan Shakshuka
There are a whole bunch of topping and sides that I love to serve with my Easy Vegan Shakshuka!
Yogurt: Firstly a good dollop of plain vegan yogurt is a must! It adds such a wonderful fresh taste and creaminess to the shakshuka and it’s simply delicious. Definitely give this a go!
Parsley: On the fresh herb side, parsley is your gal! Works perfectly alongside the flavours of the shakshuka – and also adds a great touch of colour to the dish, making it look even more fabulous.
Freshly toasted bread: So you can easily scoop up every last bit of this delicious shakshuka, yum!
Vegan Scrambled Eggs: Taking this vegan shakshuka to the next level! I like to start this dish with my tofu-free Vegan Scrambled Egg recipe, then remove it from the pan, and add it back into the shakshuka towards the end of the cooking process. Delicious eggy-ness and adding a delicious texture!
- Non-stick frying pan
- spatula (wooden & silicone)
Feel free to add additional vegetables to this easy vegan shakshuka! Some of my recommendations are eggplant/aubergine, fresh spinach, kale or courgettes.
I like adding tinned cherry tomatoes to my vegan shakshuka, however if you don’t have these to hand, you can also use a second tin of chopped tomatoes or plum tomatoes.
If you like it spicy, why not drizzle your favourite hot sauce or sriracha over the top when serving? So yum!
This recipe is:
- 100% vegan
- very easy to make with kitchen essentials
- full of healthy ingredients
- only requiring one pan!
- perfect for a vegan brunch
- perfect alongside freshly toasted bread & a dollop of dairy-free yogurt
Delicious & easy vegan Shakshuka – made entirely without tofu! Wonderfully more-ish and the perfect vegan Sunday brunch.
- 1 stalk celery, finely diced
- 1/2 yellow onion, finely diced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- 1 red pepper, diced
- olive oil for frying
- smoked paprika
- black pepper
- sea salt to taste
- 1 Tbsp tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp tomato relish (optional)
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 tin of cherry tomatoes (or a second tin of chopped)
- a handful of kale, roughly chopped
- dairy free yogurt
- fresh parsley
- freshly toasted bread
- Vegan Scrambled Eggs
- If you’d like to serve your Vegan Shakshuka with vegan scrambled eggs, then begin with the recipe you can find here. Once one, place them aside for later use. If you’re leaving out the ‘eggy’ part of this dish, skip ahead to step 2.
- Heat a splash of olive oil n a large frying pan, and sauté your onions until translucent. Add the crushed garlic and cook for 1 minute before adding the celery and red pepper. Cook for 3 minutes to soften and stir regularly,.
- Add in the chopped tomatoes, cherry tomatoes, tomato paste and tomato relish (optional). Sprinkle the spices over the top and stir to combine. Reduce to low/medium heat and let it simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add in the kale (and vegan scrambled eggs), then stir to combine and serve warm with parsley, fresh yogurt and toasted bread.
Keywords: vegan shakshuka, easy vegan shakshuka, vegan shakshuka no tofu, vegan scrambled egg