Did you know that it’s currently National vegan tikka masala Curry Week in the UK? It couldn’t have come at a better time as there’s also Vegfest coming up in London this weekend – and guess what I’ll be cooking up on stage? I’m sure you can count two and two together here (not that you’ve not read the title of this blog post, ha!)
I’m super excited to be on stage at this year’s Vegfest London. 3 years ago, this was the first ever vegan tikka masala event I went to and it absolutely blew my mind to see how many like-minded people there were, and how much amazing tasting plant-based food! Thinking back to my very first Vegfest experience I feel even more honoured to be climbing the stage myself this year.
If you’d like to come along, there’s still tickets available: https://london.vegfest.co.uk/tickets/
My cookery demos are on Saturday 12pm and Sunday 4pm.
In celebration of National Curry Week I thought it would only be suitable to share this delicious recipe with you that you can see me cook on stage over the weekend. For the demo I’ve teamed up with the lovely team from Oumph!, who create the most deliciously flavoured soy chunks – and have actually also just launched their first plant-based pizza, which I can’t wait to try!
This recipe uses ‘The Chunk’, which is the non-flavoured version of the Oumph! soy chunks – and I absolutely love cooking with it. It brings a great texture to all dishes & it’s neutral seasoning allows me to get creative with it in the kitchen.
If you’re on the look out for it to re-create this vegan tikka masala recipe (or simply to give it a go) – it’s currently available at Tesco, Whole Foods Market, Holland & Barrett and plenty of independent retailers across the UK.
Delicious and easy vegan tikka masala curry recipe – so simple to make and full of warming flavours that’ll make you drool!
- 280 g Oumph! The Chunk
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cm ginger, finely chopped
- 3 tbsp garam masala
- 2 tbsp tomato purée
- ½ red chilli
- 50 g of plant-based margarine
- 400 g coconut cream
- 400 g finely chopped tomatoes
- 1 tbsp vegetable stock powder
- 4 green cardamom pods
- 1 lime
- 1 tomato
- ½ bell pepper
- To serve: basmati rice and cardamom pods, fresh coriander
- Start by chopping the chilli and add it to a large frying pan over medium-high heat alongside the onion, garlic, ginger, tomato puree, all the spices and the margarine.
- Once everything becomes fragrant (this will smell amazing in your kitchen!) add the coconut cream, chopped tomatoes and the 4 cardamom pods, crushed.
- Bring everything to the boil and then simmer for 10 minutes.
- Season to taste with the juice of 1 lime and salt. Add Oumph! The Chunk and simmer for a further 7-10 minutes. Dice the tomato and bell pepper and add them to the pan for the final 2 minutes.
- Voila, you’re done! Share with friends and family & enjoy!
- Serving Size: 4 Servng
- Calories: 209
- Sugar: 7.8g
- Sodium: 605.8mg
- Fat: 13.2g
- Carbohydrates: 20.1g
- Protein: 7.4g
- Cholesterol: 0mg
Keywords: vegan tikka masala, vegan tikka masala curry recipe
Serve with vegan naan bread & rice! I love adding 1-2 cardamom pods to the water when cooking rice – and even a little coconut milk! It gives the rice such a delicious flavour and it simply smells fantastic everywhere on the stove!