This month we're officially kicking off BBQ season with this delicious recipe for Grilled Stuffed Chick'n Rolls! The base for this recipe is created with Seitan and tofu, so it's super high in protein - and the rolls are stuffed with a combination of vegan ham slices, vegan cheeze and fresh basil leaves, all in all, a delicious Mediterranean flavour!
This recipe has been inspired by Italian-style chicken involtini, but re-invented with vegan ingredients and perfect for the grill!
The steps for the recipe are actually pretty simple, but as the Seitan needs to steam for an hour, it can be somewhat time-intense to make. The great news is, that the recipe can be easily made ahead of time! Next time you're planning a BBQ party, simply make the Seitan in advance and allow for it to cool completely after the steaming process. You can keep it in the fridge for up to 5 days or in the freezer for up to 3 months - but ensure to thaw it at room temperature for 2 hrs first in case you're freezing it.
Serve this recipe alongside your favourite BBQ goodies, fresh salads or in combination with a delicious tomato sauce - all options are welcome!
This recipe is:
- 100% vegan (as everything on the blog!)
- high in protein
- super cheesy
- easy to make
- perfect for the BBQ, but also great pan-fried!
- really delicious
- full of Mediterranean flavours!
If - like me - you love Pinterest, you can find me here & if you like, you can pin any of the images on this page to your boards 😊Print
Delicious vegan chick'n style rolls filled with vegan ham, cheese and fresh basil - perfect for the next BBQ!
- 350g silken tofu
- 1 whole tin of chickpeas in water (400 g), unsalted
- 2 tbsp tamari soy sauce
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 60g chickpea flour
- 20g nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp vegan-friendly poultry seasoning (optional)
- 280g vital wheat gluten
For the filling:
- vegan ham slices
- vegan cheeze slices
- fresh basil leaves
- olive oil for brushing
- tomato sauce to serve
- In a food processor, combine all the wet ingredients until smooth. Swap to a dough hook or transfer the mix to a large mixing bowl, then sprinkle in the dry mixture and mix until you get a firm dough ball.
- Lightly flour a surface with a little extra vital wheat gluten and knead the dough for 2 minutes. Use a rolling pin to roll the dough into a roughly 30cm x 40cm rectangle.
- Use a knife or pizza cutter to cut the rectangle along the center lengthwise, then cut horizontally into 5 strips. Gently roll each strip individually with the rolling pin to stretch them out further, then place vegan ham slices onto each strip, followed by vegan cheeze and fresh basil leaves. Leave about 1 cm empty around the edges.
- Carefully roll up each strip and squeeze the Seitan pieces together to seal each end and the sides. Brush in olive oil, then cover each roll in baking parchment and tightly wrap them in aluminium foil.
- Steam the little parcels over boiling water for 1 hour, then allow for them to cool down for 30 minutes and gently unwrap them.
Brush each roll with olive oil, season with salt and pepper and place it onto the hot grill. BBQ until golden, and serve the rolls alongside a delicious tomato sauce & fresh basil or your favourite BBQ additions.
© Romy London / Romina Callwitz | All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images and content without prior permission. If you wish to re-publish this recipe, please get in touch via email. Thank you so much for supporting romylondonuk.com!