Delicious Vegan Snowman Salted Caramel Cake Recipe - created with a caramel cake batter and a salted caramel buttercream. Vegan and perfect for the season!
For the caramel cake batter
- 800g self-raising flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 400g vegan butter
- 500g soft brown sugar
- 200ml aquafaba
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
For the caramel buttercream
- 420g dairy-free butter
- 1kg icing sugar
- 1-2 tbsp plant milk (optional)
- 3 tbsp brown sugar
- 6 tbsp water
- 3 tbsp dairy-free cream
- a sprinkle of sea salt
For the snowman decoration
- a handful of chocolate buttons
- black frosting for the eyes
- red or orange frosting for the nose
- vanilla pods for the arms
- coconut shreds for the coating
- Preheat your oven to 180C.
- Start by preparing the cake layers: Sieve the flour and baking soda into a large mixing bowl and stir in the salt.
- In a separate bowl combine the butter & brown sugar with the vanilla extract with a whisk.
- Whip up the aquafaba with an electric whisk for 5-10 minutes until fluffy stiff peaks are created. Gradually stir the butter/sugar mixture into the aquafaba until well combined, then gently fold the dry mix into the wet ingredients.
- Pour the batter into 3 greased & lined round cake tins and bake for 30 minutes at 180C or until the cake is baked all the way through (check with a skewer!)
Make the caramel buttercream:
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, combine the brown sugar and water and bring to a simmer whilst continuously stirring. Pour in the cream or yoghurt and continue to stir over low heat until the caramel begins to thicken.
- In a large mixing bowl cream the dairy-free butter with an electric whisk. Gradually add in the icing sugar and mix until silky, if needed add a little plant milk. Pour in the caramel sauce and whisk for another minute to thoroughly combine.
Assemble the snowman:
- Allow for the cake bases to cool completely before creating the buttercream & assembling the cake. If needed, cut the cake bases to size, so they can comfortably sit on top of each other.
- Layer up the cake and spread a generous amount of buttercream in between each layer.
- Next, create the crumb coat by gently spreading buttercream around the outside of the cake. Carefully scrape off any excess - it doesn’t need to be too neat at this point,
- Transfer the cake to the fridge for the crumb coat to set for 30 minutes.
- Once the coat is set to the touch, spread another layer of buttercream around the outside, smoothing it with a spatula, then place the cake into the fridge once again
- Shape the head of the snowman from white icing and create the eyes, mouth and nose from coloured icing. Assemble the face of the snowman on top of the set cake & smooth out the connection between the head and the cake with leftover buttercream. If you have any leftover black icing, shape a hat and a scarf for the snowman!
- Sprinkle coconut shreds over the cake to resemble snow, then place your MummyMeagz buttons onto the snowman’s coat.
- Add vanilla pods for the arms & admire your masterpiece.
Feel free to create this cake without the assembly of the snowman - the caramel cake batter tastes delicious on it's own - either as a round cake or baked in a loaf tin.
The cake can be frozen, so if you have any leftovers, simply freeze individual slices so you have some delicious cake to hand whenever you feel like it.
- Serving Size: 1 slice
- Calories: 795
- Sugar: 81
- Sodium: 1015
- Fat: 37
- Saturated Fat: 24
- Unsaturated Fat: 11
- Trans Fat: 1
- Carbohydrates: 113
- Fiber: 2
- Protein: 5
- Cholesterol: 91
Keywords: snowman cake, vegan caramel cake, vegan cake recipe, salted caramel cake, cake recipe, vegan salted caramel cake recipe, vegan caramel cake recipe