Incredibly simple easy Vegan Pancake Base Recipe - Any sweet or savoury topping will go perfectly with these pancakes! Made with soy-mile, chickpea flour and baking powder!
Everybody loves pancakes but what divides people is whether to go sweet or savoury... So I thought I'd better take the safe way and give you a neutral Vegan Pancake Base Recipe that could be made sweet or savoury!
I personally have always liked them as a sweet option rather than savoury, but I think this is simply because I grew up with apple and cinnamon pancakes (or Nutella alternatively).
Pancakes were also one of the first things I attempted making after I went vegan. And yes attempted - I wasn't really successful in my first attempt 😉
Looking at some standard pancake recipes, most of the ingredients are easy to swap - like swapping the milk for soy milk for example. But when I first went vegan I had no idea what I was doing and struggled with replacing the egg and plenty of my pancakes just broke into pieces when trying to turn them in the pan.
- Soy milk
- Plain or self-raising flour
- Chickpea flour
- Baking powder
- Sunflower oil (coconut oil is great for sweet versions!)
Replacing the egg
In my recipe here, the chickpea flour is replacing my egg as it helps to keep the dough in one piece.
There are plenty of ways to replace eggs, here are some of my other favourites:
- Chia: Simply mix a spoon of chia seeds with 2 spoons of water, blend and let it rest for 10 minutes until the seeds have soaked up the liquid.
- Flax Seeds: Simply mix ground flax seeds with water 1-1 and let them rest for about 10 minutes before using.
- Banana: If you are planning on making sweet pancakes, simply mix a ripe banana into your pancake mix! (Also great to fry them in coconut oil!)
The Secret To A Perfect Pancake Batter
The secret to making perfect pancake batter lies in the way you blend your ingredients. The ideal is to use 2 bowls and blend the dry ingredients in one bowl and the wet ingredients in another before slowly combining. This way you avoid any clumps and your batter becomes nice and even.
Once you have completed the batter, leave it to rest for a few minutes, then carefully bump the bowl on your tabletop a few times. This will release any air that is in your batter and avoid those little holes in your pancakes.
The Secret To A Perfect Pancake Shape
I personally have always wondered about how people making these perfectly round and equal pancakes for a pancake burger (like below) and I was already guessing it was some kind of witchcraft (Seriously, my batter always went in all directions in the pan).
Until I found this trick: Use 2 pans. One tiny one (I got mine in Ikea for £4) and one big one. Pour the batter into the small pan to fry and when it is time to turn the pancake - flip it into the big pan. Et voila: Perfectly round and equal pancakes!
This recipe is:
- 100% vegan
- super fluffy
- neutral (can be sweet or savoury!)
- simply delicious
- easy to make
Vegan Pancake Base Recipe
- 150 ml soy milk
- 175 ml water
- 175 g plain or self-raising flour
- 2 tbsp chickpea flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tbsp sunflower oil Coconut oil is great for sweet versions!
- pinch of salt
- Place the flour, chickpea flour, baking powder, and salt into a mixing bowl and whisk together.
- Create a well in the middle and pour in the sunflower oil, soy milk, and water, then use a large whisk to combine all ingredients into a smooth pancake batter.
- Set the batter aside for 10 minutes whilst you preheat and grease a non-stick pan, then pour the batter into your pan to create the pancake size of your choice - I like to use a pancake pan for this to create perfectly round shapes for my pancake stack.
- Flip each pancake after 3-4 minutes, cook for 3 minutes on the second side and then remove from the heat.
- Serve with your favourite pancake toppings!
Love making delicious breakfast recipes? Then be sure to try some of my other favourites below: